Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10764 10765 [10766] 10767 10768 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14570347 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #161475 on: December 21, 2022, 08:01:21 pm »

You can't even buy a heat pump unit for $2k... and are you forgetting about the "everything is in short supply" excuse going around?  (EDIT: sniped by EuchreJack on this exact point).

While in general I prefer higher interest rates (because I'm a saver, not a borrower), I think it's the wrong tool right now to solve the economic woes - we need to get people to start making stuff again.  So in that that sense subsidies is good to encourage more production.  Unfortunately, there are too many barriers to entry, such that new competition can't come on-line fast enough to prevent prices from rising.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #161476 on: December 21, 2022, 08:03:30 pm »

You most certainly can. I was quoted 1800 when I looked into it a few months ago. Only issue is that my house doesn't have central heating at all and it would cost me significantly more to run decent ductwork - more than a 25K/year salary can support.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161477 on: December 21, 2022, 08:20:27 pm »

Huh I guess heat pumps really can be had in that price range, but I suspect that is for very small ones. Our house was quoted for much more than that, but we still opted for natgas furnace.  I didn't think it was worth the extra cost for a combo AC compressor/heat pump for our home size and climate.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #161478 on: December 21, 2022, 08:27:57 pm »

Apparently, our house would need 5 heat pumps.... :'(

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161479 on: December 21, 2022, 08:30:20 pm »

Wait. I've been living under a rock. Y'all are saying heat pumps are more energy (or cost) efficient for heating a house than e.g. natgas furnace?
We're talking about those air conditioner boxes that also have a heating setting?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #161480 on: December 21, 2022, 08:33:55 pm »

Wait. I've been living under a rock. Y'all are saying heat pumps are more energy (or cost) efficient for heating a house than e.g. natgas furnace?
We're talking about those air conditioner boxes that also have a heating setting?

Not at all.

I'm saying my fucking government has outlawed the natural gas furnaces. So it now academic which is better.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #161481 on: December 21, 2022, 08:36:54 pm »

Yes. Because heat pumps are moving heat around instead of trying to generate it, they are more energy efficient in most climates than trying to create more energy by burning fuel. In most places, a heat pump can use as little as a third the energy. More importantly, they use only electricity and thus can be powered by renewables or the atom instead of fossil fuels, and they are far more efficient than resistive heating (which is the other way to warm your house with electric power. If you want to end the use of fossil fuel, they are indispensable.

Their usefulness falls off in colder climates, but improved refrigerants have vastly broadened the range at which they are worth doing.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #161482 on: December 21, 2022, 09:10:03 pm »

I've just now noticed the Lesser Evil brand of... chips? Snack food? Something like that. It's... definitely a brand name.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #161483 on: December 22, 2022, 09:13:46 am »

WTF, there is a supply problem with Steam gift cards (the physical ones) now over here in the Netherlands. Apparently they cannot be restocked until february.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #161484 on: December 22, 2022, 10:30:09 am »

For some reason FB decided that the new batch of 'posts you might like' is going to be filled with furry shit. I haven't the slightest clue as to fucking why.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #161485 on: December 22, 2022, 10:48:58 am »

Sometimes you don't click on the first one.  Or maybe people are a little ashamed to start, so if they give you multiple chances the odds of finding people who will click improves.

That's how they suck you down the rabbit hole of the internet.  Or fox hole.  Or vole hole.  Or into the den of snakes.

Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #161486 on: December 22, 2022, 11:22:55 am »

Or the deer hole. Or the wolverine hole. Or the frog hole. Or the lizard hole.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161487 on: December 22, 2022, 12:19:45 pm »

vole hole
Is that the place where brave furries who died in the act go to?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161488 on: December 22, 2022, 12:20:18 pm »

It's just your standard annual probing for furry interest to see if they can sell you furry stuff now, move along citizen.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #161489 on: December 22, 2022, 12:22:35 pm »

Beware the jub jub hole, my son
The teeth that bite, the claws that catch
Beware the jabbercock, and shun
The frumious bander snatch
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 10764 10765 [10766] 10767 10768 ... 11040