Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10743 10744 [10745] 10746 10747 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14569457 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #161160 on: November 11, 2022, 05:39:37 pm »

Eli Lilly has lost some $16bn of stock value today after a "verified" parody account mimicking them said that they'd be offering insulin for free now.

The absolute meme of this situation, I swear to fuck.

Congrats. Elon Musk has just opened himself up to a lawsuit. That's what we call measurable damage.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #161161 on: November 11, 2022, 05:55:38 pm »

That's immediately what I thought. His lack of control over what's getting posted has resulted in direct, tangible monetary damage.

I wouldn't be surprised at this point if shuts down Twitter for a couple weeks to get their ducks in a row, and does a mass ban/deletion of tweets to cover his ass.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #161162 on: November 11, 2022, 06:37:00 pm »

They suspended the verification thing recently so I imagine that was a significant push toward that.

Like I don’t really understand why you have an idea and then implement it when you haven’t ironed out issues like fake accounts being able to subscribe and impersonate someone first.

I thought Musk was meant to be good at this business thing.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #161163 on: November 11, 2022, 06:40:37 pm »

It's got to be a lot of stress getting to him.

He isnt dumb, and he clearly didnt think this out.  It was obvious back when he first made his bid that he didnt.

I think people should pay for their checkmarks based on how many subscribers they have.  They should have to verify their identity, and there shouldnt be multiple duplicate business accounts.

It was never going to be easy for him, even if he did make it happen as he portrayed it.  He was always going to cut off advertisers, for instance.  The free speech thing was going to gutpunch people at first, as he reorganized moderation policies.

But he's done things that only compound existing problems, like fire staff based solely on total lines of code written.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #161164 on: November 11, 2022, 06:44:16 pm »

He isnt dumb

[citation needed]

Elon Musk is a dumbass that managed to turn an inherited emerald mine and well-timed buy in to Big Tech successes (he did not start PayPal, Tesla, or SpaceX) into an undeserved reputation as a genius. 
Eli Lilly has lost some $16bn of stock value today after a "verified" parody account mimicking them said that they'd be offering insulin for free now.

There's a similar situation with Lockheed Martin, where a "verified" account claiming to be them declared a boycott on arms sales.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161165 on: November 12, 2022, 03:45:43 am »

Damn this whole thing has been the most entertaining dumpster fire I've seen in a quite a while.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #161166 on: November 12, 2022, 07:29:49 am »

He isnt dumb

[citation needed]

Elon Musk is a dumbass that managed to turn an inherited emerald mine and well-timed buy in to Big Tech successes (he did not start PayPal, Tesla, or SpaceX) into an undeserved reputation as a genius. 

As far as I know that emerald mine thing has been completely overblown. It looks more like a money laundering scheme or maybe a prestige ownership thing of his father's to me.
Love, scriver~

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #161167 on: November 12, 2022, 10:24:55 am »

Apparently I'm ten pounds lighter when I don't have a belly full of beer + burrito and then skip a meal or two by accident. That, or I misread the scale the first go around.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #161168 on: November 12, 2022, 10:30:06 am »

There's a similar situation with Lockheed Martin, where a "verified" account claiming to be them declared a boycott on arms sales.

Which has since led to an even greater drop in stock price than with Lilly.

Cin cin, LockheedMartini... You magnificent bastard.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #161169 on: November 12, 2022, 02:40:48 pm »

Damn this whole thing has been the most entertaining dumpster fire I've seen in a quite a while.
You should look at the massive implosion of the FTX crypto exchange! These was an exchange that had ads during middle of the Super Bowl and had garnered a lot of clout! The CEO was worth about 16 billion dollars on Monday and was worth 0 by Friday and apparently fled the country to Argentina. A lot of people got burned…again…
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161170 on: November 12, 2022, 04:25:09 pm »

Fun Fact, almost every advertiser from the Superbowl is down from their prices then.  Not just 'down', but like a dozen or so are down by more than 3/4s
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161171 on: November 13, 2022, 05:25:22 am »

I still don't see what all the hype is about crypto is, it has always seemed like a scam to me.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161172 on: November 13, 2022, 08:19:35 am »

There's a lot of things crypto could be.  Empathis on could.  Crypto was everything a 4chan girl dreams of on the internet.

It was hyped.  it was new, unregulated, and people were well paid to hype it up.  It was speculative; there was no potential top to it.  Bitcoin buyers who got in at less that $100 could have sold the top at over $60k. Countries adopted it, it was bannable in places like china.  There was a lot of price action, and it was cheap to get into the hundreds of cheap coins.  Coins like cumrocket and dogecoin all had meme followings.

It promised security and anonymity.  Blockchain was supposed to make everything untraceable.  You could be assured private transactions, and potentially even illicit ones.

As governments regulated it, business owners like Elon Musk started endorsing and accepting it as tender; it gained legitimacy.  The old guard was generally thought to dislike it, and what's cooler than something that can make you rich and is disliked by boomers?

ultimately, I would like to see a USDcoin.  Something officially sanctioned and pegged.  A digital moneybuck.  We made the move to credit cards, and a pegged dollar coin allows for more convenience.
PKs DF Mod!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #161173 on: November 13, 2022, 08:47:24 am »

There are niche uses for stuff like crypto and NFTs, but the current value of all the NFTS and coins out there is probably several orders of magnitude greater than that warrants.

That's why it's really funny to see a non-stupid true believer in NFTs or bitcoin who knows it's insanely overvalued get on the radio to talk about the crypto winter. Because they know it's a goddamn bubble, but they're so interested in what crypto could be that they forget that the bubble is the only thing most people are aware of or care about. So they say things like, "Yes, the price fell a great deal, but that's actually a good thing, because it shows the market is maturing".
One wheel short of a wagon

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161174 on: November 13, 2022, 01:29:10 pm »

Some old Boomer doing Boomer stuff

I could never climb a ladder like this.  I find the technical skillset this man has amazing.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 10743 10744 [10745] 10746 10747 ... 11040