Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10697 10698 [10699] 10700 10701 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14560717 times)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #160470 on: August 01, 2022, 02:53:22 pm »

When are the Brothers Adams going to undo the generalization of the game's anthropomorphic animals as male? When are the wifebeasts going to be appropriately named?

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160471 on: August 01, 2022, 03:11:47 pm »

Also funny thing from Czech. We have 3.5 language genders. Male(living), Male(non-living), Female, Neutral. When a group is talked about, pronouns are used as if it was a group of first from the left present.
A group of children chickens does stuff? Pronouns are neutral. A coala joins them? Suddenly female pronouns. A tree comes to life to help them (not Treant, just a tree)? They are now Male(non-living) as a group. And when a dog(either gender) finally comes, they are now Male(living), so long as the dog is not refered to as a bitch (Then they'd be Male(non-living) again.).

Edited because children were a bad example. 'dítě' (child) je indeed considered neutral singular. But 'děti' (children) is female plural.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 03:25:42 pm by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #160472 on: August 01, 2022, 03:47:17 pm »

Male(non-living)
Yes, there should be exclusive pronouns for the undead
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #160473 on: August 01, 2022, 04:07:05 pm »

Male(non-living)
It’s near Romania, so historically vampires were a problem that required their own category of pronouns.

Either that or vampires are just woke.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #160474 on: August 01, 2022, 04:09:56 pm »

Male(non-living)

You will have no gender in the skeleton army, you will be a spooky boy and it will be glorious
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160475 on: August 01, 2022, 05:10:15 pm »

We should just call everyone "dude". I'm a dude, you're a dude, that person over there is a dude. Know what I mean, dude?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #160476 on: August 01, 2022, 05:13:09 pm »

What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160477 on: August 01, 2022, 05:28:34 pm »

You will have no gender in the skeleton army, you will be a spooky boy and it will be glorious

Temperance Brennan and other forensic anthropologists would claim otherwise given such skeletal evidence.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160478 on: August 01, 2022, 05:51:23 pm »

let

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160479 on: August 01, 2022, 07:05:25 pm »

Right what I meant by US and English-centric is that we don't have "gendered" words like the Romantic languages, so people go out of their way to say that certain words are "excessively gendered" or whatever.  And in particular the US flavor is everyone always assumes that everyone always knowingly uses some word in its most inappropriate way, even though usually the "offensive" meaning of a word was not well known, since the word entered the lexicon in a roundabout way.

But no, even if you use some word because it was just rad in your society, and you didn't learn it originally referred to something derogatory because you had to read about it in a history book to learn it - that's what I mean about it being like people are looking for things by which to be offended.

There are enough words in any given time period that are, within that time period, intended to be offensive - you don't have to go "oh that was used as a slur 200 years ago, even though it's now just generic, you can't use it!"  It's also annoying that they don't complain about the reverse effect - take the word "gay" which used to just mean "happy" but now it's exclusively used for sexual preference, to the point where the infamous They actually went and retconned old media to change lyrics, scripts, etc. "Pretty and witty and gaybright" I'm looking at you, West Side Story!  >:(

Anyway, I notably score very lowly on sympathy/empathy in tests that purport to measure such things, so I really just don't get it...
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #160480 on: August 01, 2022, 08:34:30 pm »

Well… words mean different things to different people, and to suggest that people getting bent out of shape over what you think is an innocuous use when it means something offensive is a bit silly.

Like… you can call someone a jock where you are and it’s fine, but if you go to Scotland and call someone a jock, expect to be confronted about it.

Equally so, words change meaning over time. Damn used to be a particularly strong cussword (you are literally asking god to damn someone to hell) but now it’s barely a cuss at all.

Just ‘cause you’re a stick in the mud doesn’t mean other people have to be :p
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160481 on: August 02, 2022, 02:17:55 am »

And let's not forget that you're all such nice people. :P

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #160482 on: August 02, 2022, 02:55:58 am »

Does 'jock' have a different meaning in Scotland, or is it just thought of as more offensive outside its American context?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #160483 on: August 02, 2022, 04:41:36 am »

"Jock" to a Scot would be a name representing a crude stereotypical scot in a tom o'shanter with the mannerisms of groundskeeper willie. They would not appreciate the association at all.
This is a blank sig.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #160484 on: August 02, 2022, 05:08:03 am »

Damn Scots

They ruined Scotland
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 10697 10698 [10699] 10700 10701 ... 11040