Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10693 10694 [10695] 10696 10697 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14559776 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #160410 on: July 21, 2022, 09:13:07 pm »

First avenue moves Dave Chappelle comedy show, citing a duty to their patrons & community.
The name of the theater is ironic. First avenue against the First Amendment. But then again, they're private, so they have no obligations other than making enough money to be around next year.

I haven't heard Dave's newest stuff, but I thought his last comedy show was quite insightful.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160411 on: July 21, 2022, 09:30:40 pm »

Usually those losses of venue are for historically queer theaters or venues located in gay districts, so they in fact have obligations to their community to not platform and build revenue off of transphobic entertainment.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160412 on: July 21, 2022, 09:33:28 pm »

First avenue moves Dave Chappelle comedy show, citing a duty to their patrons & community.
The name of the theater is ironic. First avenue against the First Amendment. But then again, they're private, so they have no obligations other than making enough money to be around next year.

I haven't heard Dave's newest stuff, but I thought his last comedy show was quite insightful.
Okay I laughed.  The name of the theater including First?  Thus this is ironic when they ban a hatemonger?  The reach amused me.

I think we're beyond such simple takes, though.  Dave Chapelle does actually have a lot of good points.
I respect him, even as he disrespects me lately.  And people like me.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160413 on: July 21, 2022, 10:03:37 pm »

I don't like his humor because he ejects queers of color from the queer community. This is more obvious if you try switching the jokes around to be about white cisgender women.

Eg, "if we just put on some skirts and beehive hairdos then we could have had equality 100 years sooner."

He wants to make fun of white trans people specifically? There are trans comics making those jokes and doing it better actually ... for example, Robin Tran is frigging hilarious. And, she's gonna be on Letterman.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #160414 on: July 21, 2022, 11:49:10 pm »

There does seem to be a bit of an odd element of a comedian of a historically oppressed demographic taking aim at a contemporaneously oppressed demographic.

Like… I feel like he should know better but that also seems a bit of a racist thought to have.

I used to drive past the Kellog's factory in Muncy, PA.  The air smelled like pop tarts for around a mile, sometimes more if the wind was blowing just so.

I live in a town with a Kraft factory. The smell of burnt mac and cheese is usually the smell, which is not pleasant.

I also used to live in Edinburgh, and there’s a brewery (probably more than one to be fair) the smell of which I hated as a child, but I once had to get a replacement bus service when I was more inclined to imbibe which drove near it and omg the smell was amazing.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 11:52:59 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #160415 on: July 22, 2022, 12:03:36 am »

I want to try pop-tarts.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160416 on: July 22, 2022, 12:23:48 am »

And I want to try borscht.  Trust me, you aren't missing anything.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160418 on: July 22, 2022, 02:27:59 am »

Which one? I know for a fact that GreatValue Toaster Pastry is still a thing.

As is BestChoice Toaster Pastry
They came from dollar store, I should probably say that the brand still exists but they stopped making the ones I actually liked.

This lack of rain is actually getting a bit absurd. All of July and June we've had nothing more than brief, heavy showers. The fact that there's any water still flowing in the rivers and streams seems something of a miracle.
That isn't that weird I mean it hasn't really rained this summer where I am, but than again my area was in a drought for seven years and only just recently got out of it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #160419 on: July 22, 2022, 02:49:23 am »

All I can offer is pop-warts
Love, scriver~

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160420 on: July 22, 2022, 07:42:18 am »

That isn't that weird I mean it hasn't really rained this summer where I am, but than again my area was in a drought for seven years and only just recently got out of it.
Yeah, but I live in Northern England. It's supposed to be wet.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #160421 on: July 22, 2022, 08:56:51 am »

*Channels inner Michael Scott* That's what she said.

Also, I read 'Pastry' as 'poetry' above. I was disappointed.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160422 on: July 22, 2022, 10:08:56 am »

Pop tarts just started being a thing when I was a kid, and I remember that eating them untoasted used to be the "rogue" consumption. Kinda like the kids that just ate their ramen noodle as a brick and then the flavor packet, no hot water involved.
Eating ramen like that isn't "rogue" it's psychotic.
Yeah ramen's kinda sharp for that.  Letting it soak in room temperature water for at least 20 minutes is a lot more pleasant. 
If I'm going to bother to "cook" quick-ramen, I'm breaking out the eggs and cutting board vegetables and making a proper meal of it.  At which point the only reason not to make a rice dish is variety.

Also, quick-ramen is a little greasy already but benefits from adding a bit more vegetable oil IMO.  And maybe using one "flavor" (salt) packet per two bricks, or better yet, some miso paste.

I used to love eating instant oatmeal dry while hiking.  And adding liquid to any cereal besides grape nuts is still weird to me.  Especially milk, bleh.  Yes I was making gruel out of grape nuts, it was better than dousing crystalline sugar in milk like most kids.

I used to drive past the Kellog's factory in Muncy, PA.  The air smelled like pop tarts for around a mile, sometimes more if the wind was blowing just so.
Speaking of Kellog, my love of bland cereal did not have the effect he claimed it should have.
I put chopped sausage and mayonnaise in my ramen after boiling to make it a proper meal. Unironically very tasty.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #160423 on: July 22, 2022, 11:02:14 am »

Usually those losses of venue are for historically queer theaters or venues located in gay districts, so they in fact have obligations to their community to not platform and build revenue off of transphobic entertainment.
Good point.

Okay I laughed.  The name of the theater including First?  Thus this is ironic when they ban a hatemonger?  The reach amused me.

I think we're beyond such simple takes, though.  Dave Chapelle does actually have a lot of good points.
I respect him, even as he disrespects me lately.  And people like me.
I think he disrespects everyone, since he's a comedian. Except rednecks, since he now lives among them.
It was also a big reach because he wasn't cancelled, just moved.

It's taken a lot of thinking on my part, but I can see how parts of his act are transphobic. The whole "LBGTQ is in control of the media" is classic fearmongering that sounds like it came straight from Fox News.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #160424 on: July 22, 2022, 11:39:38 am »

*Channels inner Michael Scott* That's what she said.

Also, I read 'Pastry' as 'poetry' above. I was disappointed.
Pop Tarts are just good enough to inspire people to keep eating them - hoping the next bite will fill their internal desires.

But, alas, the bridge to satisfaction cannot be made of such fair weather slop
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 10693 10694 [10695] 10696 10697 ... 11040