Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10647 10648 [10649] 10650 10651 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14558027 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #159720 on: April 27, 2022, 07:20:48 pm »

Perhaps is just people robbing the fiber or thinking is cooper wire to rob it. Happens ALL the time here.
That probably wouldn't happen in three different places all at the same time, though. Coordinating to do it all at once implies an intent to disrupt communications.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159721 on: April 28, 2022, 02:37:10 am »

Perhaps is just people robbing the fiber or thinking is cooper wire to rob it. Happens ALL the time here.
What can you even do with the fiber once you pull it from the cable?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #159722 on: April 28, 2022, 06:26:07 am »

Sometimes simple numbers about wastefulness are stunning.

Take for instance, the drill.
The average drill bought by people to drive a screw somewhere is used.... 0-3 minutes of it's total lifetime. The rest of it's life it's left to gather dust in storage.

Private ownership of household powertools should be banned. Rent the darn things for the few times you need to use them.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159723 on: April 28, 2022, 06:57:27 am »

First they came for my power tools; then they came for my WD-40.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159724 on: April 28, 2022, 06:59:29 am »

Take my love, take my land,
Take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free,
You can't take my drill from me.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159725 on: April 28, 2022, 07:09:48 am »

I can see the logic in renting specialty gear, like tile cutting table saws or jackhammers, that the average person might use for a single specific project and then never again. But a simple power drill? Those things are useful for all sorts of projects from minor to major, and should be readily available at all times.

What next, banning private ownership of ladders?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #159726 on: April 28, 2022, 07:10:52 am »

Sometimes simple numbers about wastefulness are stunning.

Take for instance, the drill.
The average drill bought by people to drive a screw somewhere is used.... 0-3 minutes of it's total lifetime. The rest of it's life it's left to gather dust in storage.

Private ownership of household powertools should be banned. Rent the darn things for the few times you need to use them.
Eeehh... I don't think it's quite that simple? You're discounting the extra time involved with renting, I'd say, suggesting that to get more use out of a drill, we should add 20+ minutes or more to every issue where it's needed, on top of an unexpected cost (which likely wouldn't be particularly cheap) and whatnot. You'd be adding a great deal of other sorts of waste to mitigate one sort, on top of adding that much more potential problems in regards to loss during transit and whatnot and probably making things even worse on the tool access front for poorer areas.

There might be something there for communal tool access, but renting would be a staggeringly shit method for it and there'd be pretty serious implementation issues in regards to unequal access.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159727 on: April 28, 2022, 07:14:38 am »

I'm always wary of such numbers. They look plausible at a first glance, but then you start asking yourself how this could ever be measured with any degree of reliability.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #159728 on: April 28, 2022, 07:24:46 am »

What is a drill’s lifetime in the first place? If the battery is separable, shouldn’t it be a mostly mechanical device with minimal decay if not used? Or do changing standards for wall plugs or drill heads force the consumption of new drills?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159729 on: April 28, 2022, 07:28:26 am »

Oh they get thrown out, then one of our regulars comes scoop them up and takes them to their hoarder home. The only issue is when a hoarder dies and somebody got to emtpy the house.

*sardonic laugh*
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #159730 on: April 28, 2022, 07:50:08 am »

What is a drill’s lifetime in the first place? If the battery is separable, shouldn’t it be a mostly mechanical device with minimal decay if not used? Or do changing standards for wall plugs or drill heads force the consumption of new drills?
Eh, they rust and whatnot without much difficulty. You can use one for well over a decade if it's decently built, but they can also break or wear down pretty quickly, even if you're taking okay care of it. Just depends.

I'm always wary of such numbers. They look plausible at a first glance, but then you start asking yourself how this could ever be measured with any degree of reliability.
I'unno, if it's off it's probably not by a huge amount? If it's just driving screws that generally takes like a literal second, if that, so that 3 minute upper bound is in practice talking nearly 200 screws took care of over the course of the drill's use. It can take a while to have that many screws needing to be drove in. General household use isn't going to be actually running the drill very long, I don't think.

Most of the other uses generally just take a few more seconds, too. They're pretty damn efficient devices in terms of run time.
Ask not!
Ask!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159731 on: April 28, 2022, 08:00:11 am »

Add in a second or two of run time every time the drill is brought out, too. Like giving tongs a couple of test clacks, you gotta make sure the tool is working properly before putting it to use.

Anyway, driving screws usually doesn't take long, but actually drilling holes can take longer depending on bit and material.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 08:01:43 am by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159732 on: April 28, 2022, 08:01:00 am »

meh 9/10 it's the carbon brush... the batteries do get old and weak though

Force all manufacturers to use the same battery clip mechanism, I think you'll be further along.
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #159733 on: April 28, 2022, 08:28:13 am »

Add in a second or two of run time every time the drill is brought out, too. Like giving tongs a couple of test clacks, you gotta make sure the tool is working properly before putting it to use.
You don't clack tongs as a test for functioning, silly :P

... which may have been the point. Personal experience the test rev doesn't even take a second, though. You hit it once to make sure it's on and then get done with the whatever before it falls on someone, heh.

meh 9/10 it's the carbon brush... the batteries do get old and weak though

Force all manufacturers to use the same battery clip mechanism, I think you'll be further along.
Parts standardization in general for a lot of stuff like that would be pretty huge, though. It'd tie in hard with a right to repair type of push, 'cause that kind of thing makes repair and maintenance massively more reasonable on a personal scale. If most of the parts of a drill (or whatever, really) were fully interchangeable it'd go a hell of a long way towards adding legs to their working lifetimes.
Ask not!
Ask!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #159734 on: April 28, 2022, 10:15:24 am »

Take my love, take my land,
Take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free,
You can't take my drill from me.

I don't see how they'll be able to take it from me anyway, with my new powerdrill 4000 I can  board up my door faster than they'll be able to kick it down
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 10647 10648 [10649] 10650 10651 ... 11039