Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10641 10642 [10643] 10644 10645 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14558245 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #159630 on: April 13, 2022, 11:02:10 am »

Only in the world of Wall Street is an investment bank making "only" $8.3B in profit this quarter considered a "warning sign" for the economy.   ::)
Finance became uncoupled from the real economy a long time ago

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #159631 on: April 13, 2022, 11:44:08 am »

congrats?

I honestly would rather have it and get over it than not and be afraid of it tbh
sadly reinfections are a thing so even if you catch the plague there's no guarantee you're going to get anything out of it except sickness with a chance of permanent organ damage or death

here's hoping it's not major or lingering, td1, no one deserves either :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #159632 on: April 13, 2022, 12:52:05 pm »

Yesterday it felt fairly major. When I wasn't sleeping I was shivering or boiling alive. I don't know how to describe it, but my thinking was also impacted. Like my brain was stuffed.

Today I'm running a high temperature, my taste has gone all funky, and I still feel really odd. But it's a huge improvement.

So yea, not a major case, but I'd say probably the sickest I've ever been personally.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #159633 on: April 13, 2022, 01:02:36 pm »

A good friend of mine caught the rona 10 days ago, despite being overly careful (having a partner and a daughter who are in a 4x risk group) and despite being 4x vaccinated with Pfizer.

The fever, headaches, loss of smell and taste and sore throat lasted 3 days. After that, she just is very, very tired. Got out of bed for a half day yesterday for the first time without needing to lie down again after half an hour. The thinking being impacted lingers. She has trouble finding words when speaking. It's not full aphasia, but it's disconcerting nonetheless.

Hope you recover soon.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159634 on: April 13, 2022, 01:35:53 pm »

Fevers tend to impair thinking in my experience. Hopefully your thoughts will clear up once the infection has subsided.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #159635 on: April 13, 2022, 05:47:06 pm »

Yesterday it felt fairly major. When I wasn't sleeping I was shivering or boiling alive. I don't know how to describe it, but my thinking was also impacted. Like my brain was stuffed.

Today I'm running a high temperature, my taste has gone all funky, and I still feel really odd. But it's a huge improvement.

So yea, not a major case, but I'd say probably the sickest I've ever been personally.
At least you didn't get the runny shits, blood yoghurt or the hair loss

Touch wood, I pray you get out of this intact with a lollipop on top. Worst thing that is most probable to occur though is the continual fatigue which tends to not go away unless you exercise... Which becomes a very chicken or egg situation, unless you own a dog, in which case the dog demands you go. Another symptom of Covid is also the sudden urge to take business trips and holidays, but there aren't papers to confirm that one yet ;]

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159636 on: April 13, 2022, 05:52:20 pm »

I hear you. Covid causes dogs.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #159637 on: April 13, 2022, 05:55:46 pm »

We get a lot of spam emails sent to our work account as part of penetration testing. So I'm used to seeing very alarming emails from seemingly legitimate sources that I've been breached, and have learned to ignore them. Partly because I'm now trained to never click on a damn thing, and partly because I keep my online profile pretty lowkey. No LinkedIn, Tumblr, Snapchat, Twitter or w/e dumb social media stuff there is. Just FB, because I was there at the beginning, Amazon, the usuals.

So I see an email today from Facebook security saying my account was accessed. The visible email body I could see said it was from Mac device. I think "whatever, and delete it.

But then I decide, ya know, maybe I should follow up on this. I open FB on my phone (my FB account is linked to my personal email, btw, and I never use the "handy" cross platform login features ever, or saved passwords. I make myself type out all my passwords so I can remember them) and am told I have to login. First time that's happened since I logged into it from my phone a long time ago.

Now I'm kind of alarmed. I change my PW. Email ownership still belongs to me, cool. Do the security audit. No settings have been changed. Alright, cool.....

So now I'm wondering. How would FB know to send an email to my work address. How would someone that compromised my account know to send an email to my work address unless they are SERIOUSLY spear phishing me. Maybe it was a coincidence that I got pen test email at the same time FB decided to log me out...? I reacted on my account within minutes of seeing the email. Plenty of time for a bot or even a human to alter my email address on the account and all sorts of other things.

I sent out a message on FB telling people to not open anything from me, just to be on the safe side. And the password was pretty old and not very secure by the standards I now use. So it was probably for the best. But I'm now kinda nervous.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #159638 on: April 13, 2022, 05:58:39 pm »

I hear you. Covid causes dogs.
Don't do dogs, kids

So now I'm wondering. How would FB know to send an email to my work address. How would someone that compromised my account know to send an email to my work address unless they are SERIOUSLY spear phishing me. Maybe it was a coincidence that I got pen test email at the same time FB decided to log me out...? I reacted on my account within minutes of seeing the email. Plenty of time for a bot or even a human to alter my email address on the account and all sorts of other things.
Reminds me of when I got a DHL phishing scam on the day that I was expecting a DHL shipment. Confused the hell out of me but it seemed fake nonetheless, these coincidences do occur

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #159639 on: April 13, 2022, 10:43:03 pm »

I was thinking lately about if science managed to produce a means of immortality, be it through gene therapy or whatever; and what the pros and cons of a society filled with immortals might be like. Though that got me thinking about why evolution has selected for mortality, when it is genetically possible for things to simply be immortal. I'm thinking it's simply because for most of history, survival has been a zero-sum game, where things rely on their environment to survive, and the environment can only realistically produce a finite amount of nourishment, which is able to support a fairly static population of things. If people were immortal, in a primitive world, there'd be a "Big Tree Effect" where the existing immortal population would simply be consuming all the available nourishment, leaving little left over for any younger members of the tribe. This may lead to very static evolutionary process, as environments change so too do its inhabitants have to change, and that change in primitive species has to occur through evolution, but if things are immortal and the 'iteration rate' slows down due to that, then naturally there'd come a time when environmental changes simply weed out the immortal species and selects for mortal ones.

I just thought that was neat to think about.

Well, first I'll agree with delphonso, then explain it how I finally understood it.
Actually Josh hit on one of the selective pressures that put most creatures in the 2-5 year lifespan range. Past breeding periods, unless you're building shelter for more lifeforms, or nuturing little ones, you're just a resource hog. If an organism corners a niche, such as 'I can eat this otherwise very poisonous berry', having more of those organisms around is likely to self select into oblivion.

There's also stuff about more regenerative tissie = more likely to become cancerous.

This is entirely true.

I tend to think of Society as evolving.  We're more enlightened today than 50 years ago, etc.
That only happens because people DIE. 
An old codger is gonna be as enlightened as they were 50 years ago.  And more powerful than they were 50 years ago.
The only way that a new generation with newer, more enlightened values, can establish those values as "normal" is because old age and infirmity weakens and kills the prior generations.

Old people have to die so new people open to new ideas can take over.  Otherwise the old people with old ideas would remain in power forever, and we'd still be oppressing our women, our minorities, pretending man & women is the only coupling, and be in the dark ages regarding the newly evolving trans rights movement.  And by oppressing, I mean more than we do, since that shit ain't over yet, even though I wish we were past it.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #159640 on: April 14, 2022, 12:32:58 am »

There are very few "immortal" species, and that trait has not given those species a huge edge in population growth. Thus the trait did not allow them to outcompete "mortal" species, which means that the blind chance of evolution lead to the "mortal" species being progenitors of most life.
Well not quite, dying is a feature, not a bug.
Being immortal is actually a very bad thing for a species since A) Having dudes that stick around forever hogging resources due to being there first without evolving until something unexpected is bad for future generations, B) Having these immortal dudes plopping out babies generations later is bad since they aren't evolving and its also important to note that C) No matter how "immortal" these dudes are in normal circumstances eventually diseases are going to evolve or the environment will massively change and they won't be able to adapt and them and everyone else within a few "generations" of them are all going to die at once.

So these immortals are all going to die anyways, and probably en-masse when something major changes. Note that this stuff holds true on every level, from the single-cell all the way up to the largest creatures; immortality is simply a bad evolutionary bet.

So if we do manage to get immortality as a species (which is quite possible although humans, like nearly every other living thing is designed to die) the natural equilibrium is going to be thrown even further out of wack then we already threw it. Immortality almost certainly will result in *really* bad stuff for a lot of humans due to how it will throw off resource distribution.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #159641 on: April 14, 2022, 03:12:26 am »

I went to bed shaking uncontrollably last night, woke up at 4am absolutely boiling and thirsty as hell, and now I've got a headache/slightly dizzy.

Pretty scary ngl.

Edit: wondering if it was dehydration. I've been drinking a helluva lot today without much need for bathroom breaks.

Nevermind, apparently it's covid. Yay.

You jinxed it, man
Love, scriver~

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159642 on: April 14, 2022, 06:06:58 pm »

I read about the Dead Internet Theory. It essentially predicts that up to 80% of the web content and users is artificially generated by A.I, and are A.I, respectively, and that the real people are played around through it.

I have been suspecting some amount of this to be the case really; sometimes, it just feels like that, man. It feels off. And the modern internet is composed of pretty much only 8 ginormous sites, so I expect some large scale manipulation. But %80 of people and content being pretty much unliving is too much to accept. Maybe 10%? It think that would be more likely.

Anyways, all of this post is false.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 06:09:11 pm by Magmacube_tr »
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #159643 on: April 14, 2022, 06:10:06 pm »

Well, doesnt all that crap just kind of float below the cracks of a google search?

Like an underhive of old and outdated but still existing material?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159644 on: April 14, 2022, 06:14:47 pm »

Okay guys, pisskop is real.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!
Pages: 1 ... 10641 10642 [10643] 10644 10645 ... 11040