Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10640 10641 [10642] 10643 10644 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14558007 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #159615 on: April 12, 2022, 04:22:12 pm »

The MK 2 hand grenade used by the US in WW2 resembled pineapples, so that might be why. Imagine Japanese soldiers yelling out "PINEAPPLE!" and everyone scatters.

google translate now says the japanese word for pineapple is 'Painappuru', パイナップル
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #159616 on: April 12, 2022, 04:22:28 pm »

That makes more sense than what Translation Party just did, turning "hand me the pineapple" into "hand me the gun".

Pineapple is slang for a specific type of fragmentation hand grenade, after all.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159617 on: April 12, 2022, 10:45:40 pm »

I was thinking lately about if science managed to produce a means of immortality, be it through gene therapy or whatever; and what the pros and cons of a society filled with immortals might be like. Though that got me thinking about why evolution has selected for mortality, when it is genetically possible for things to simply be immortal. I'm thinking it's simply because for most of history, survival has been a zero-sum game, where things rely on their environment to survive, and the environment can only realistically produce a finite amount of nourishment, which is able to support a fairly static population of things. If people were immortal, in a primitive world, there'd be a "Big Tree Effect" where the existing immortal population would simply be consuming all the available nourishment, leaving little left over for any younger members of the tribe. This may lead to very static evolutionary process, as environments change so too do its inhabitants have to change, and that change in primitive species has to occur through evolution, but if things are immortal and the 'iteration rate' slows down due to that, then naturally there'd come a time when environmental changes simply weed out the immortal species and selects for mortal ones.

I just thought that was neat to think about.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #159618 on: April 13, 2022, 01:14:30 am »

EVOLUTION DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY

There are very few "immortal" species, and that trait has not given those species a huge edge in population growth. Thus the trait did not allow them to outcompete "mortal" species, which means that the blind chance of evolution lead to the "mortal" species being progenitors of most life.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #159619 on: April 13, 2022, 03:06:50 am »

Capitalist bureaucracy surpasses the Vogons.

Dutch GPs have to write a statement every year to the health insurance companies, in which they declare that their patients' amputated arms and legs have not spontaneously regrown, and that they still require medical care.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #159620 on: April 13, 2022, 03:37:52 am »

Capitalist bureaucracy surpasses the Vogons.

Dutch GPs have to write a statement every year to the health insurance companies, in which they declare that their patients' amputated arms and legs have not spontaneously regrown, and that they still require medical care.
The insurance companies are clearly a front for hunters of werewolfs and salamandermen

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #159621 on: April 13, 2022, 06:28:11 am »

EVOLUTION DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY

There are very few "immortal" species, and that trait has not given those species a huge edge in population growth. Thus the trait did not allow them to outcompete "mortal" species, which means that the blind chance of evolution lead to the "mortal" species being progenitors of most life.
Im actually rewatching Fullmetal Alchemist, and pondering all the fun tropes that explores

As a more mature mind the tropes all just stand there beating me over the head and screaming at me....

Its really tragic how dark that world is and how much the protags get away with not doing through the sheer necessity of being our moral reference point
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 06:29:51 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #159622 on: April 13, 2022, 06:33:18 am »

Actually Josh hit on one of the selective pressures that put most creatures in the 2-5 year lifespan range. Past breeding periods, unless you're building shelter for more lifeforms, or nuturing little ones, you're just a resource hog. If an organism corners a niche, such as 'I can eat this otherwise very poisonous berry', having more of those organisms around is likely to self select into oblivion.

There's also stuff about more regenerative tissie = more likely to become cancerous.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #159623 on: April 13, 2022, 08:16:50 am »

I went to bed shaking uncontrollably last night, woke up at 4am absolutely boiling and thirsty as hell, and now I've got a headache/slightly dizzy.

Pretty scary ngl.

Edit: wondering if it was dehydration. I've been drinking a helluva lot today without much need for bathroom breaks.

Nevermind, apparently it's covid. Yay.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159624 on: April 13, 2022, 08:17:31 am »

congrats?

I honestly would rather have it and get over it than not and be afraid of it tbh
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #159625 on: April 13, 2022, 08:25:18 am »

congrats?

I honestly would rather have it and get over it than not and be afraid of it tbh
My relationship with covid is like that of the ocean. I'm not going to be afraid of it, I'm going to be near it everyday, but I'm going to respect it because it'd be dangerous not to

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #159626 on: April 13, 2022, 09:27:48 am »

This one is equally laugh and wtf.

Some random old lady yelled at me at the grocery store today because I'm still using plasic bags (most stores in germany replaced plastic with textile bags like 4 or 5 years ago) and "think of the environment" and all that.
I replied that those bags do their damage to the environment when they're disposed of, so throwing away perfectly serviceable old bags when there is no need to would be the worst thing one could possibly do.

Then she just kept staring at me, I could practically hear the dial up noises.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159627 on: April 13, 2022, 09:29:23 am »

Only in the world of Wall Street is an investment bank making "only" $8.3B in profit this quarter considered a "warning sign" for the economy.   ::)
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159628 on: April 13, 2022, 09:37:57 am »

To be fair, the system is put together poorly enough that "growth not being exponential enough" may indeed be the sign that our mistakes are about to catch up to us.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159629 on: April 13, 2022, 09:53:59 am »

The market is pretty unhealthy

This kangaroo crap is unhealthy, and so is uneven markets like we saw the other day.

The market can fake it for a while because its run on sentiment, not fact, but we are headed for a downturn.  It just wont be immediate; it takes time for people to feel it

P: yesterday we got news that inflation is at a 40 year high, and everybody bought all they could before it fell back 300 points.

PP:  speaking of the market, im up 20% unrealized today.  Fire
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 09:56:13 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 10640 10641 [10642] 10643 10644 ... 11039