Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10626 10627 [10628] 10629 10630 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14561744 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #159405 on: February 20, 2022, 12:57:02 am »

The thing is that it means the opposite of what it says on the tin, hehe.

It doesn’t mean the opposite of what it says on the tin, it’s just that there’s very small print on it too. In saying that, employers usually make you waive that “right to work” if you ever sign a contract anyway.

I have heard it said that you’re lucky if you get hired by someone. Why is it not the employer that is lucky you decided to dedicate some of your limited time on earth to lining their pockets?

Whistleblowers do deserve better protections, but for some reason “naeb’dy likes a clype”, or whatever local wording you happen to use, appears to have been so internalized by societies across the globe so when you air someone else’s dirty laundry, even to the betterment of your community, you are somehow a bad person for doing so.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #159406 on: February 22, 2022, 12:11:05 pm »

I cringe when I hear the local cable company tout their "no contracts" as a good thing.

Yes, contracts have been used unilaterally by corporations for scummy things.  But they also guarantee a fixed price.

No contract, no guarantee on the price.  Unless they're just lying to you about the definition of a contract.

Additional: Tax preparer ads that discuss their expertise in filing taxes on crypto.  Like, if you're filing taxes on your cryptocurrency, you've sort of missed the original purpose of crypto...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #159407 on: February 22, 2022, 05:48:01 pm »

On point for the current point of it, though! Which is probably the better idea, if you been treating it like non-standard income the whole time it'd likely go a lot better for you when folks get around to actually regulating the junk.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159408 on: February 22, 2022, 05:54:15 pm »

From what I know, the IRS has wised up a little (a little...) to crypto-speculation as a form of income, and therefore is correct to assert that not reporting your profits from crypto as a form of tax evasion. Where I think the real mistake is however is in lending cryptocurrency that kind of official recognition. The only thing that gives crypto value is credibility; but crypto seems to me to be just a large scam, it doesn't have inherent credibility, and lending credibility to a scam is an immoral and unwise thing to do.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 06:15:06 pm by JoshuaFH »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #159409 on: February 22, 2022, 05:56:49 pm »

IRS will also go easier on you if you're appropriately filing your income from scamming people, for what it's worth :P

Though the post this was responding to seems to have poofed, so eh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159410 on: February 22, 2022, 06:15:58 pm »

I unpoofed it. I wanted to think about it a bit more, but then thought I was being pretentious, so I poofed it, then thought I was being pointlessly ashamed, so I unpoofed it.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159411 on: February 22, 2022, 11:24:34 pm »

TBH there's a spot to put your literal crime income on your taxes
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159412 on: February 22, 2022, 11:56:35 pm »

IRS Rule #1: Report ALL your income.

I can see how those who have successfully gotten out of crypto now need to declare their income.  How they would get their money out of crypto without declaring it requires some amount of fraud, an overseas trip, or both.  If they got into crypto as a speculative venture legally, they should get out legally.

Which reminds me of the Market Rule #1: When everyone is getting into something, GET OUT.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #159413 on: February 23, 2022, 12:28:20 am »

"Report all your income"
This is so funny, growing up rural.  I think urban people think we're covertly passing bucks, when reality is more like "Can you fix this?" "Yeah, pass a $20"

I'm kinda drunk but it's weird to me - sales tax is very weird to me.
It's unrealistic and impractical.

Until the IRS crack down
on some dipshit like me ):

Focused:  How does one expect to extract a tax from rural commerce?  Practically, you write it off.

What gets me, and the conversation tonight, was crypto coins.  Various ways to confound people.
Which are awful and dumb and and bad and I really resent how crypto is supposedly a way to dodge taxes.  They aren't.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 12:34:47 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159414 on: February 23, 2022, 12:32:53 am »

...I've only recently gotten over Steam automagically calculating and deducting sales tax for each purchase.  But it's one less thing to worry about, so eh.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #159415 on: February 23, 2022, 12:35:59 am »

It used to only be sales tax if you were in the same state!  They fixed that.  It took them a while.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159416 on: February 23, 2022, 12:59:58 am »

Which reminds me of the Market Rule #1: When everyone is getting into something, GET OUT.

"If all your friends jumped off a bridge, would you jump onto a bridge?"
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159417 on: February 23, 2022, 06:05:42 am »

From what I know, the IRS has wised up a little (a little...) to crypto-speculation as a form of income, and therefore is correct to assert that not reporting your profits from crypto as a form of tax evasion. Where I think the real mistake is however is in lending cryptocurrency that kind of official recognition. The only thing that gives crypto value is credibility; but crypto seems to me to be just a large scam, it doesn't have inherent credibility, and lending credibility to a scam is an immoral and unwise thing to do.

To be honest, most money has only value from credibility nowdays. It used to be backed by gold, but not anymore. Coins at least have some metal value, but much less than the nominal value, notes are nearly worthless.
Except, because people consider them valuable, they have their nominal value.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159418 on: February 23, 2022, 07:59:33 am »

The only thing gold-backed currency has over full fiat currency is that you can only "create" more by mining it.  Everything else is the same; the amount of stuff you can buy with a given amount of gold is completely based on agreed valuation, same as a fiat currency.  You can have inflation and deflation with gold, you can have hoarding with gold, you can have manipulation with gold.

That is to say, all money anywhere and everywhere only has value from "credibility."
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159419 on: February 23, 2022, 08:08:32 am »

Well, the point I was making wasn't "Currencies require credibility", it was "The defining characteristic of scams is that they don't have inherent credibility." As I was say that fiat currencies do have some inherent credibility in that they're backed by the country which created them. Crypto doesn't have that same luxury.

I suppose what I was saying about the IRS doesn't make that much sense in hindsight; they don't care where your income comes from, they just want their cut. They aren't arbiters of what is legitimate or not, they couldn't care less. My bad.
Pages: 1 ... 10626 10627 [10628] 10629 10630 ... 11040