Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10207 10208 [10209] 10210 10211 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14556169 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #153120 on: August 23, 2020, 05:57:21 am »

Aerosols don't stay in the atmosphere for long, so it's just a temporary masking effect that requires constant commitment to maintaining (and increasing the amount in lock step with the accumulating CO2) - not a solution.

but that's actually a selling point. a short lived effect would be much easier to control and fine-tune.

And of course the goal is that you take steps to reduce the amount of CO2 in the mean time.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 05:59:19 am by Reelya »

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #153121 on: August 23, 2020, 07:12:23 am »

Guys I've got the best idea of how to solve global warming, we just have to knock the Earth out of orbit and get it out of the solar system, then once we're far from the sun global warming no longer has an effect as there isn't a sun to warm us, this also solves world hunger, pollution, COVID-19, and pretty much any other global problem I've forgotten about.

Where's my Nobel Prize for finding a solution to all this crap?
Why bother when we can just launch all of the world's nukes at once! Global warming can't damage the ecosystem if all multicellular life is gone!
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153122 on: August 23, 2020, 08:05:32 am »

I was originally talking about doing this with fridges:

And we started discusing how to blow up continents, slow down earth and whatnot....

Do you realize we are all pontential Bond villians?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #153123 on: August 23, 2020, 08:08:18 am »

Well, blocking out the sun is an absolutely viable means of reducing global warming.

A solar shade might be worth our time.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153124 on: August 23, 2020, 08:49:51 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah I imagined something like this, I wonder if there could be some relatively low power device that makes one room hot and another cold, maybe put it in the floor for efficiency. Maybe pantries could come back in style.
let

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153125 on: August 23, 2020, 09:06:30 am »

A solar shade could be used to ruin crops on whole places?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153126 on: August 23, 2020, 09:12:14 am »

If there are any aerosols that aren’t poisonous, we could produce those, while reducing greenhouse gas production

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #153127 on: August 23, 2020, 09:15:05 am »

I will operate under the presumption that if we had a functioning plan to build a solar shade we also had a reasonable way to determine its use.  Maybe we only use it once a week, or we build multiples to toggle them, or we use the UN or a similar coalition.

I do believe that the UN would at least attempt to fairly use such a device without abusing it.  For say . . . sanctions.  I believe they wouldnt do that.

A successful plan could also include large shipments of food being shipped into the most affected countries, while countries not at all affected could grow extra.

I think that a bigger issue is what to do with all that power we'd be able to theoretically generate with a functioning solar shade.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153128 on: August 23, 2020, 09:22:34 am »

One problem is said solar shade will lower the efficiency of all the solar panels, meaning you need to increase power production from other means.

I don't think compensating for that by beaming energy collected with the solar shade to Earth is going to help either, since that would in fact warm things up again.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 09:28:18 am by Reelya »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #153129 on: August 23, 2020, 09:23:37 am »

I think that a bigger issue is what to do with all that power we'd be able to theoretically generate with a functioning solar shade.

Build a microwave transmitter to destroy beam the power to Earth.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 09:25:38 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153130 on: August 23, 2020, 09:32:19 am »

I think the solar shade will never happen.

The point is for a solution to fix the problem until we can get on top of the emissions problem on Earth. So the costs of said solution must be lower than the costs of just fixing the emissions and/or a bit of carbon scrubbing. Also, the solution must be deployable quickly, AND deploying the solution must not involve us doing large amounts of things that actually warm the Earth.

Building and launching the shade will entail large energy expenditures, mining, emissions, and also cost a lot more than all the other solutions we're just not doing already because we're umming and ahing about the costs.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153131 on: August 23, 2020, 09:34:34 am »

See... we could all be sitting in spinning office chairs while stroking a cat and cackling like maniacs at our plans to destroy the earth (where are we gonna live after that, no one cares).

Reelya
In theory a scalable space infrastructure could require a fraction of the fuel and space launches but would require far more time and initial developing and planification.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 09:38:04 am by LordBaal »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153132 on: August 23, 2020, 09:41:15 am »

Build a microwave transmitter to destroy beam the power to Earth.
Ninja'd!  I was wondering about how that works though.  I guess the theoretical microwaves are of a frequency that passes particularly efficiently through the atmosphere, losing little energy to heat generation.  But the microwaves we use in cooking get intercepted by water vapor, right?  So I'm idly curious if there's a wavelength that dodges that issue, or if we just put the receivers in arid location.

also
I do believe that the UN would at least attempt to fairly use such a device without abusing it.  For say . . . sanctions.  I believe they wouldnt do that.
I think the UN would absolutely use this against nations violating human rights and international law.  And then perform humanitarian missions to mitigate the harm done to the local populace, as they do with sanctions today.  Economic sanctions are already a deadly weapon, but I believe the UN generally wields them responsibly.
A successful plan could also include large shipments of food being shipped into the most affected countries, while countries not at all affected could grow extra.
Exactly, I think this would be fundamental to the plan, ah, getting off the ground.  And not getting nuked.  Nations were threatening first-strikes over SDI defense systems, it would take an impressive feat of international cooperation for this to happen.  Not an impossible future, though.
Artificial fossil fuels or fusing elements for long-term energy production - fabricating useful fuel sources for long-term space exploration.
Actually, a lot of that could probably occur easier up in space anyway.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153133 on: August 23, 2020, 09:52:56 am »

I think we're overthinking this.  Just summon Maxwell's Daemon.  Make all that heat work for us.  Run our society on perpetual Stirling engines.

Newton had to learn about gravity from an apple tree, why do we let him make the rules?  Other than his amazing hair, foundational work in physics and thermodynamics, and cool telescopes.  Other than that, what has he done for us!?

How can someone be sat under a tree for that long and not realize that time dilates.  Useless I say.  Repeal his 2nd law for a better future!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153134 on: August 23, 2020, 09:55:18 am »

Power beaming by microwaves has the difficulty that, for most space applications, the required aperture sizes are very large due to diffraction limiting antenna directionality. For example, the 1978 NASA study of solar power satellites required a 1-kilometre-diameter (0.62 mi) transmitting antenna and a 10-kilometre-diameter (6.2 mi) receiving rectenna for a microwave beam at 2.45 GHz. These sizes can be somewhat decreased by using shorter wavelengths, although short wavelengths may have difficulties with atmospheric absorption and beam blockage by rain or water droplets.

It sounds like we can have this as long as we're happy to have a city-sized hole that does nothing but receive the power.
Pages: 1 ... 10207 10208 [10209] 10210 10211 ... 11039