Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10206 10207 [10208] 10209 10210 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14556248 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #153105 on: August 22, 2020, 05:13:33 pm »

It’s in the process of melting right now, if we get it into space, it wouldn’t be melting anymore, though the creatures on the continent would be killed, however

Ok so to summarize, what we've learned is that can solve global warming and also store our beeves-based-foodstuffs indefinitely if we simply launch Antarctica into orbit.

Let's please discuss the most scientifically feasible way to launch a continent into orbit, please? This is why we're here, people.
Not necessarily, Antartica would reflect heat, though the atmosphere traps it. What we need to do is capture the greenhouse gasses, such as methane and carbon dioxide, and launch them out of the atmosphere, as well as stop large scale methane/carbon dioxide/nitrous oxide production, so, stop burning fossil fuels, stop killing/burning carbon sinks...I wonder if there are non toxic gasses that make easier for heat to leave the atmosphere?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153106 on: August 22, 2020, 05:32:55 pm »

It’s in the process of melting right now, if we get it into space, it wouldn’t be melting anymore, though the creatures on the continent would become delicious food tookilled, however yay!
There, fixed for you
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #153107 on: August 22, 2020, 05:52:06 pm »

Let's please discuss the most scientifically feasible way to launch a continent into orbit, please? This is why we're here, people.

Suppose we build a gigantic slingshot?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153108 on: August 22, 2020, 06:10:44 pm »

How about pushing Earth farther from the sun, still in the habitable zone of course, but since there’d be less sun, there’d be less heat being trapped, if we combine this with The stopping of burning fossil fuels, stopping of the burning of trees, and the trapping of greenhouse gasses/making greenhouse gasses react with other gasses to turn them into molecules which don’t trap heat, we could slow down or given long enough, stop climate change

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #153109 on: August 22, 2020, 06:12:48 pm »

Stop climate change by . . . moving us further from the sun.

That wouldnt stop climate change, but only delay the symptoms.  Plus the energy released from this process.

Does anyone have a suggestion for moving the planet further from the sun?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153110 on: August 22, 2020, 06:23:42 pm »

We should take Bikini Bottom, and push it somewhere else!
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153111 on: August 22, 2020, 06:24:03 pm »

It would be difficult to move the planet's orbit very much without also vaporizing all the habitable parts. Planets are kind of massive, you see.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153112 on: August 22, 2020, 06:35:07 pm »

That wouldnt stop climate change, but only delay the symptoms.  Plus the energy released from this process.

It would be difficult to move the planet's orbit very much without also vaporizing all the habitable parts. Planets are kind of massive, you see.
Understood.

There are ways to get electricity that don’t involve use of burning fossil fuels, such as geothermal power, solar power, wind power, water power, we could switch to those power sources, eventually stopping the need for burning fossil fuels. This will require international effort though; however, given that nations have a habit of not working for humanity as a whole, favoring things that benefit them regardless of the harm it may cause others, I am unconvinced such action will be taken

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153113 on: August 22, 2020, 06:49:31 pm »

It’s in the process of melting right now, if we get it into space, it wouldn’t be melting anymore, though the creatures on the continent would be killed, however
Untrue! Parts of Antarctica are melting but it's getting colder overall for complicated weather reasons.

This would be extremely difficult because continents are large heavy masses of rock, but I would say your best bet is some kind of giant volcanic eruption. Like if you can make the mantle under Antarctica REALLY REALLY ANGRY somehow, that's your ticket.

There are ways to get electricity that don’t involve use of burning fossil fuels, such as geothermal power, solar power, wind power, water power, we could switch to those power sources, eventually stopping the need for burning fossil fuels.
(All of those are fundamentally impractical for various important and largely unchangeable reasons.)

Honestly, I've said before to others that the most practical way to cool the Earth more at this point is to build a giant metal heatsink outside the atmosphere. For some definitions of "practical".

ETA: Oh, also, we could totally move the Earth farther from the sun by changing its rotation speed, by the way, by conservation of angular momentum. Doing this without transferring massive amounts of heat into the atmosphere would be tricky, but not impossible; we could, for example, build giant tubes to direct rocket exhaust or mass drivers out of the atmosphere. I mean, it's easier than launching Antarctica, at least.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 07:01:25 pm by Maximum Spin »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153114 on: August 22, 2020, 07:56:33 pm »

Moving the earth could be possible (big could). But if Im rigth it will need massive ammounts of fuel to move millions of asteroids and millions of years of work. This is just a guesstimate.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #153115 on: August 22, 2020, 10:49:15 pm »

Understood.

There are ways to get electricity that don’t involve use of burning fossil fuels, such as geothermal power, solar power, wind power, water power, we could switch to those power sources, eventually stopping the need for burning fossil fuels. This will require international effort though; however, given that nations have a habit of not working for humanity as a whole, favoring things that benefit them regardless of the harm it may cause others, I am unconvinced such action will be taken

Even now, the cost of renewables plus storage is less than that of fossil fuels for electricity generation. The primay stimbling block -aside from the political disloke of being blamed for the inevitable economoc shifts) is that the fossil fuel plants are already built.

As the supply of decent coal is dwindling, both of these factors will be losing importance at increasing rates. They also appl only im the developed world - countries that are still developing have much less investment in or economic dependance on fossils, so renewables are going to be very attractive as those regions stabilize.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #153116 on: August 23, 2020, 12:42:17 am »

Why not a giant Mylar parasol?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153117 on: August 23, 2020, 01:02:24 am »

A giant solar shade orbiting at the L1 point with assistance to keep the location, orientation stable.

However i think just seeding the atmosphere with some sort of particle to increase albedo would be far simpler.

Sulfur dioxide actually does the job, however not without consequences. And by "does the job" I don't mean just "could do the job", but it's actually doing the job already:

https://www.technologyreview.com/2018/01/22/67402/were-about-to-kill-a-massive-accidental-experiment-in-halting-global-warming/

Studies have found that ships have a net cooling effect on the planet, despite belching out nearly a billion tons of carbon dioxide each year. That’s almost entirely because they also emit sulfur, which can scatter sunlight in the atmosphere and form or thicken clouds that reflect it away.

In effect, the shipping industry has been carrying out an unintentional experiment in climate engineering for more than a century. Global mean temperatures could be as much as 0.25 ˚C lower than they would otherwise have been, based on the mean “forcing effect” calculated by a 2009 study that pulled together other findings (see “The Growing Case for Geoengineering”). For a world struggling to keep temperatures from rising more than 2 ˚C, that’s a big helping hand.

And we’re about to take it away.

In 2016, the UN’s International Maritime Organization announced that by 2020, international shipping vessels will have to significantly cut sulfur pollution. Specifically, ship owners must switch to fuels with no more than 0.5 percent sulfur content, down from the current 3.5 percent, or install exhaust cleaning systems that achieve the same reduction, Shell noted in a brochure for customers.

There are very good reasons to cut sulfur: it contributes to both ozone depletion and acid rain, and it can cause or exacerbate respiratory problems.

So it'd be cool if we could find something that did the job but didn't have those side-effects.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 01:10:04 am by Reelya »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153118 on: August 23, 2020, 03:39:07 am »

Aerosols don't stay in the atmosphere for long, so it's just a temporary masking effect that requires constant commitment to maintaining (and increasing the amount in lock step with the accumulating CO2) - not a solution.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153119 on: August 23, 2020, 03:59:18 am »

Guys I've got the best idea of how to solve global warming, we just have to knock the Earth out of orbit and get it out of the solar system, then once we're far from the sun global warming no longer has an effect as there isn't a sun to warm us, this also solves world hunger, pollution, COVID-19, and pretty much any other global problem I've forgotten about.

Where's my Nobel Prize for finding a solution to all this crap?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 10206 10207 [10208] 10209 10210 ... 11039