Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10187 10188 [10189] 10190 10191 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14550538 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #152820 on: August 09, 2020, 09:07:09 am »

power was out for 6 days.  we had a generator hooked up to the transformer down the street for 2.  The assholes came out when the police were called about the generator beeping.  The power company people just used a stick to reset the fuse box they had, power came back on.  They could have done that at any time .. . . . .

Also, on Thursday I was offered a job that would be considered a promotion.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152821 on: August 09, 2020, 12:03:48 pm »

I'm skeptical about the blocking.  For a while (maybe not recently) most of the robocalls I got were supposedly coming from my area code.  When I called some back after missing them, I got annoyed individuals who had no idea what I was talking about.  They're just spoofed numbers, so blocking doesn't help.

It's incredible to me that that's possible, but it doesn't seem to happen so much recently so maybe it got fixed.  Getting a lot of calls from Arizona or Nebraska instead which prepare me for the nature of the call.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152822 on: August 09, 2020, 05:13:53 pm »

It's incredible to me that that's possible, but it doesn't seem to happen so much recently so maybe it got fixed.  Getting a lot of calls from Arizona or Nebraska instead which prepare me for the nature of the call.

Another possibility is that it was just a coincidence that you got those batch of calls from a local number, and now it's the turn of people from Arizona and Nebraska to go "wow, they're calling me from a local number, they're good".

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152823 on: August 09, 2020, 09:13:32 pm »

I'm skeptical about the blocking.  For a while (maybe not recently) most of the robocalls I got were supposedly coming from my area code.  When I called some back after missing them, I got annoyed individuals who had no idea what I was talking about.  They're just spoofed numbers, so blocking doesn't help.

Having an old cell number from an area code you no longer know anyone in is great for that. They generally spoof the same number as the area code of your phone number, so it appears to be coming from people you don't talk to anymore anyway.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152824 on: August 09, 2020, 09:30:14 pm »

Another scam to look out for is one where they call you and let it ring once, but the caller ID is set up as a premium rate number. Definitely do not dial back.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/one-ring-phone-scam

One-ring calls may appear to be from phone numbers somewhere in the United States, including three initial digits that resemble U.S. area codes. But savvy scammers often use international numbers from regions that also begin with three-digit codes – for example, "232" goes to Sierra Leone and "809" goes to the Dominican Republic. Scammers may also use spoofing techniques to further mask the number in your caller ID display.

If you call back, you risk being connected to a phone number outside the U.S. As a result, you may wind up being charged a fee for connecting, along with significant per-minute fees for as long as they can keep you on the phone. These charges may show up on your bill as premium services, international calling, or toll-calling.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 09:32:38 pm by Reelya »

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
« Reply #152825 on: August 10, 2020, 01:12:27 am »

So some time ago I was looking around in my home. Found a box with an American and a Soviet flag, both seem old. I have no idea how they got there, but I left the Soviet flag, in the box and hanged the American flag from the balcony because I like America.

The only reason I didn't burn the Soviet flag is because it seems, quite old and I don't want to destroy a rarity.
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #152826 on: August 10, 2020, 01:22:16 am »

That's pretty cool, SteppeWolf - is there a sort of historical society around you? The Soviet Flag might make its way to some sort of collection rather than outright destruction. That same historical society might have some information on how those two flags would end up in the same place together.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152827 on: August 10, 2020, 01:26:05 am »

The only reason I didn't burn the Soviet flag is because it seems, quite old and I don't want to destroy a rarity.
I find this sentiment a little strange. Not not wanting to destroy a rarity, but rather, wanting to burn the Soviet flag. Now I'm a diehard capitalist and I hate commies as much as anyone, but, you know, the Soviet Union is long gone and burning their flag isn't going to hurt them now. Symbolically, if anything, isn't it more interesting to keep it as spoils of war, to let it grow old and moulder in a box as an irrelevancy you have superseded?

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
« Reply #152828 on: August 10, 2020, 01:38:42 am »

I find this sentiment a little strange. Not not wanting to destroy a rarity, but rather, wanting to burn the Soviet flag. Now I'm a diehard capitalist and I hate commies as much as anyone, but, you know, the Soviet Union is long gone and burning their flag isn't going to hurt them now. Symbolically, if anything, isn't it more interesting to keep it as spoils of war, to let it grow old and moulder in a box as an irrelevancy you have superseded?
This is another reason I left it in there, now that I think about it.
That's pretty cool, SteppeWolf - is there a sort of historical society around you? The Soviet Flag might make its way to some sort of collection rather than outright destruction. That same historical society might have some information on how those two flags would end up in the same place together.
I'll look into that, thanks!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 01:52:42 am by TheSteppeWolf »
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152829 on: August 10, 2020, 02:09:46 am »

Apple is suing a start up called Prepear saying that their pear logo is too much like the Apple logo. You decide:

I think the argument here is that they're both fruit and both have a leaf on the right-hand side.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152830 on: August 10, 2020, 02:47:20 am »

It's just their trademark lawyers trying to seem relevant.

Remember when they sued woolworths?
https://www.smh.com.au/business/apple-bites-over-woolworths-logo-20091005-ghzr.html

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152831 on: August 10, 2020, 05:14:33 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:42:52 am by dragdeler »
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile