Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10073 10074 [10075] 10076 10077 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14546648 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #151110 on: April 21, 2020, 08:01:41 pm »

I don't think it was just groceries she wanted delivered to her doorstep.   
Also, "instacart" thing sounds interesting! Curious as to whether there's an equivalent over here.   

Re: D&D XP: isn't it common practice to award XP for "overcoming" encounters, not necessarily in a violent manner?
Maybe it was just my old DM, but I thought it was a more widespread thing. Led to some amusing moments, too, like "so... do we get XP for that?" "Uh, what?! You freakin' ran away!"   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #151111 on: April 21, 2020, 08:02:51 pm »

For 4 hours of work I made about 80 dollars.  Of course I drove 60 or so miles and it took 20 minutes to get to westport, the rich area....

So not, like, gamebreaking money, but respectable for being an impromptu contractor.

They do give better tips for less product, btw.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #151112 on: April 21, 2020, 08:14:12 pm »

Also, "instacart" thing sounds interesting! Curious as to whether there's an equivalent over here.   

Re: D&D XP: isn't it common practice to award XP for "overcoming" encounters, not necessarily in a violent manner?
Maybe it was just my old DM, but I thought it was a more widespread thing. Led to some amusing moments, too, like "so... do we get XP for that?" "Uh, what?! You freakin' ran away!"   

I don't know about later editions, but that's explicity part of the rulebook in 3.5, as is XP for solving puzzles or other non-combat encounters. The problem with the non-combat bit is that there's not a lot of guidance for it. The "overcoming rather than defeating" issue has more to do with player expectations than it does the ruleset - nowadays, most people come to TTRPGs via CRPGs, which generally don't have advanced enough design to handle "defeat without killing". So the concept of kill monsters = get XP is already ingrained,
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151113 on: April 21, 2020, 08:17:00 pm »

Decided to do an instacart thing on my day off.

My first job ever, Im sent to Stew Lenord's, a locally bitchin' store.  Its actually quite good....

I get back to my car after talking to the client some about their stuff via the sms the app has.  It sends me to an address....  The wrong town, but right address.

A woman answers her door when I knock.  She's wearing the skimpiest thing ever.  Not lingerie, but PJs that are basic.  Her tits are flopping out.

So having a fun conversation about the groceries with floppin' tits gal, that was fun.  Eventually we sort the mess out, but I was stared at by 4 eyes today.
Who else was watching other than her? Tits are not eyes

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151114 on: April 21, 2020, 08:20:10 pm »

I don't know about later editions, but that's explicity part of the rulebook in 3.5, as is XP for solving puzzles or other non-combat encounters. The problem with the non-combat bit is that there's not a lot of guidance for it. The "overcoming rather than defeating" issue has more to do with player expectations than it does the ruleset - nowadays, most people come to TTRPGs via CRPGs, which generally don't have advanced enough design to handle "defeat without killing". So the concept of kill monsters = get XP is already ingrained,

I mean, like 80% of the rules is about how to kill shit.  Even the spells and magic items, really.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #151115 on: April 21, 2020, 08:46:08 pm »

Who else was watching other than her? Tits are not eyes
They are figuratively eyes. If you draw a smiley face on your tummy, they are about where the eyes would be.  They are shaped like eyes, and men will often stare at/into them as if they were eyes.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #151116 on: April 21, 2020, 08:50:43 pm »

Not so much in 3.5 as it might seem. At least half the spells and magic items have as many or more non-combat uses as they do combat ones, most Skills have no combat function without extrapolation, and there's pages and pages of "these are common terrains, and how hard it is to dig/break through them" in the DMG. Combat does take up a lot of space because it's covered to extreme detail, but I'd hardly call it 80% of the rules (unless you count the entirety of the Monster Manuals).
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151117 on: April 21, 2020, 09:50:28 pm »

Not so much in 3.5 as it might seem. At least half the spells and magic items have as many or more non-combat uses as they do combat ones, most Skills have no combat function without extrapolation, and there's pages and pages of "these are common terrains, and how hard it is to dig/break through them" in the DMG. Combat does take up a lot of space because it's covered to extreme detail, but I'd hardly call it 80% of the rules (unless you count the entirety of the Monster Manuals).

Yeah, 3.0 was a real weird/great game. They combined AD&D with Earthdawn (mostly the idea and half of the implementation of a skills system), poorly, and made a version of D&D many people are still chasing 20 years later. It's got a lot of obvious flaws, but nobody has been able to make them better. I think you'd have to remake it from scratch to do it justice.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #151118 on: April 22, 2020, 11:33:05 am »

The source code for TF2 and CS:GO has leaked and now there's chaos. Anyone playing those games should probably stop for the time being as malicious folks have been finding weird exploits and remote code execution vulnerabilities within
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151119 on: April 22, 2020, 03:27:14 pm »

So I was kind of amused/saddened by the fact that Square has a remake of FFVII.  I decided to start watching a stream of it.  The WTF is I literally was shedding tears of nostalgia at the opening credits.  :o  :'(

The score... oh man, the score... classic and phenomenal on modern hardware.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #151120 on: April 22, 2020, 04:20:26 pm »

It's out already?

...Would you mind a linkage?
Love, scriver~

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151121 on: April 22, 2020, 04:32:09 pm »

I'm watching LobosJr's stream.  Here is part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umhw1Iioxg0
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151122 on: April 22, 2020, 04:42:28 pm »

Thanks.

It looks good. Shame about the dude though, i hope that's not in the released game
Love, scriver~

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151123 on: April 22, 2020, 04:58:10 pm »

Shame about the dude though, i hope that's not in the released game
Shame about the dude?  Not sure I know what you mean...did I miss something?  Or do you mean the guy doing the stream who has his image in the corner?  ;D

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151124 on: April 22, 2020, 05:17:36 pm »

Yes, I meant the streamer ;)

Talking through the intro scene. Such rudeness!
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 10073 10074 [10075] 10076 10077 ... 11038