Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10023 10024 [10025] 10026 10027 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14528604 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #150360 on: March 06, 2020, 03:01:10 pm »

Were they talking about passing the Turing test or asking if the game was Turing complete? These are entirely different things despite the same dude's name being on both.

You're basically right on what the Turing test is, but that DF would fail it is self-evident.

Something is Turing complete if (a bunch of CS mumbo jumbo hopefully simplified) it can emulate a Turing machine and theoretically solve any problem that's solvable given the criteria that Turing came up with way back when. DF is Turing complete. You can probably find a few threads showing this on the upper boards.
Ahhh, I must have confused the two terms only knowing the first. Thank you.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150361 on: March 06, 2020, 04:27:12 pm »

That just sounds like a janky physics bug.

Like the one where some people have been able to, sometimes, get water to freeze faster if it starts at boiling (100/212 degrees) instead of room temperature (~21/70 degrees)? I don't know that it's been particularly reproducible, but it keeps coming up.

Keeps coming up for thousands of years, basically.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpemba_effect

The Scottish scientist Joseph Black investigated a special case of this phenomenon comparing previously-boiled with unboiled water; the previously-boiled water froze more quickly. Evaporation was controlled for. He discussed the influence of stirring on the results of the experiment, noting that stirring the unboiled water led to it freezing at the same time as the previously-boiled water, and also noted that stirring the very-cold unboiled water led to immediate freezing.

So from this, it's may be nothing to do with the heating, but about the stirring. Heating the water merely mixes it up. Shaking a container of cold water will make it freeze even faster than heating it will.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 04:39:58 pm by Reelya »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #150362 on: March 06, 2020, 06:47:02 pm »

That just sounds like a janky physics bug.

Like the one where some people have been able to, sometimes, get water to freeze faster if it starts at boiling (100/212 degrees) instead of room temperature (~21/70 degrees)? I don't know that it's been particularly reproducible, but it keeps coming up.

Keeps coming up for thousands of years, basically.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpemba_effect

The Scottish scientist Joseph Black investigated a special case of this phenomenon comparing previously-boiled with unboiled water; the previously-boiled water froze more quickly. Evaporation was controlled for. He discussed the influence of stirring on the results of the experiment, noting that stirring the unboiled water led to it freezing at the same time as the previously-boiled water, and also noted that stirring the very-cold unboiled water led to immediate freezing.

So from this, it's may be nothing to do with the heating, but about the stirring. Heating the water merely mixes it up. Shaking a container of cold water will make it freeze even faster than heating it will.
What I get from that is that noone really knows.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #150363 on: March 06, 2020, 07:16:52 pm »

Has anyone else's Youtube changed to be much inferior? I can't find the button for new videos I'm subscribed to anymore.
EDIT: Apparently, it won't let me not use the mobile version.
EDIT2: Fixed the mobile problem, but now its width is weirdly small. If I scroll to the right, I can find the new videos button.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 07:26:34 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150364 on: March 06, 2020, 08:56:08 pm »

Has anyone else's Youtube changed to be much inferior? I can't find the button for new videos I'm subscribed to anymore.
EDIT2: Fixed the mobile problem, but now its width is weirdly small. If I scroll to the right, I can find the new videos button.

I take it you're unfamiliar with Google/Alphabet "upgrading" things?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #150365 on: March 07, 2020, 10:42:12 am »

I take it you're unfamiliar with Google/Alphabet "upgrading" things?
I suspect the developers need to be constantly changing things lest an executive look at them and decide it's time for Austerity.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150366 on: March 07, 2020, 10:46:44 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 11:04:48 am by dragdeler »
let

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150367 on: March 07, 2020, 12:18:57 pm »

I looked up austerity and my first reading I misread attitude as ambush, then I reread it and got attitude since I didn’t think ambush applied correctly

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #150368 on: March 07, 2020, 12:20:31 pm »

???

idgi what do you mean?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150369 on: March 07, 2020, 12:23:48 pm »

???

idgi what do you mean?
i looked up austerity and the first time I read it I got “ sternness or severity of manner or ambush” due to misreading it. I read it again and realized it was supposed to be “ sternness or severity of manner or attitude”

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #150370 on: March 07, 2020, 09:16:06 pm »

The correct definition in this context relates to plainness and simplicity.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150371 on: March 07, 2020, 11:04:44 pm »

I don't think that's right in this context.

Teneb means it as in the phrase "Austerity measures".

As in, "The UI doesn't need any work, let's sack all the devs to save money"

The reality isn't that this would make the UI simple or plain, it would leave it broken: "Only a very small number of users are having epileptic fits, so we clearly don't need to waste money paying someone to fix that of all things".

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150372 on: March 07, 2020, 11:11:39 pm »

It would be making the company simple or plain, yes? Since there would be less people working there.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150373 on: March 08, 2020, 01:11:02 am »

In the sense that a product is more simple if there's no manual or tech support line.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #150374 on: March 08, 2020, 09:00:32 pm »

I've learned new things about potatoes. Apparently if you cut up an uncooked potato, stick it in the fridge for a couple days, and then leave it out for a while it will blacken. Like, we've literally never wasted a potato like this my life so I've never seen it happen before. It's mildly terrifying, hahaha!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 10023 10024 [10025] 10026 10027 ... 11037