Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9963 9964 [9965] 9966 9967 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14547450 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #149460 on: January 08, 2020, 03:49:39 pm »

Chaive
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149461 on: January 08, 2020, 04:17:14 pm »

Historic Accomplismishays.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149462 on: January 08, 2020, 05:41:51 pm »

Almost walked out today. Literally had my coat on, phone out to call for a ride, and was heading towards the door when the new manager convinced me to turn back. If I knew what he was going to say - and I kinda did, basically just putting the blame for what happened on me and suggesting that if I don't like the way he's running things I can just leave - I'd have ignored him and kept going.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #149463 on: January 08, 2020, 06:19:32 pm »

That's when you say "that's exactly what I was doing until you called me in here, dumbass." and don't come back.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149464 on: January 08, 2020, 11:18:41 pm »

I recommend just quietly putting in 2 weeks notice tomorrow and finding a new job where you won't be yelled at constantly.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #149465 on: January 08, 2020, 11:25:00 pm »

you can just leave.  Many states are even consent to work.

you should put your 2 weeks tho.  interviewers like that.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149466 on: January 09, 2020, 06:50:37 am »

Some vocations come with gotchas.  healthcare is one of them, especially long term care.

If you just walk out, it is endangerment and abandonment; potentially actionable criminal charges.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #149467 on: January 09, 2020, 07:26:41 am »

I guess it depends on the place. In Spain I think that it might apply if you did it in the middle of a turn, but otherwise you could leave from one day to the next with  few real consequences (mostly you probably would end up getting less money at the end of contract.

In Ireland and the UK there are hefty notice periods (3 months for doctors).  Most of the time nothing really happens for noncompliers rsp juniors(although it might have an impact on references), but I dont know to what extent the same applied to senior posts so the one time I quit a job in Ireland I respected every single day of my notice period
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149468 on: January 09, 2020, 08:46:07 am »

https://nurseguidance.com/abandonment-what-it-is-and-is-not/

It is important to stress that while the site rightly points out the distinction between patient abandonment, and employment abandonment, there is an on-going healthcare worker shortage in the US.  Too many patients, not enough staff.  It is endemic, all over the US, and especially troublesome for long term care settings.

By being at work, and having received report at the beginning of your shift, if you 'Just walk out' to quit, likely this will result in your patients under your care not having correct, proper, or sufficient supervision or oversight, which then immediately qualifies as patient abandonment, since you did not get a replacement for you before storming out.

Patient abandonment is an elder care neglect infraction, and it can result in termination of your license. (at least in the US.) It can also result in actionable legal consequences, should somebody be harmed as a result of your not being there.  In a perfect world, the facility you work at would/should contact a staffing agency to get an emergency replacement, but that isn't always possible. 

Nice to know that it isn't as draconian as fuck over in the EU, but here in the states, they just love sticking it to you for daring to demand better working conditions, and terminating vocation on the spot for failure to comply on the part of the employer.  (Not that it matters, every employer will likely have shit conditions, due to the worker shortage.)

I should go through the full nursing program thing and become an RN;  I hear there is a nurse shortage everywhere these days. Maybe I could move out of this backward hellhole of a country, where I provide healthcare to others, but cannot afford it myself.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #149469 on: January 09, 2020, 08:58:20 am »

For a situation to constitute patient abandonment, two things must have happened: 1) the nurse must have accepted the assignment, which establishes a nurse-patient relationship, and 2) severed the relationship without notice to an appropriate person (supervisor, manager, etc.) so that another nurse can continue to provide care to the patient(s).

I don't think it's as draconian as you say. As per your quoted article, it's just like here: you notify that you're leaving and then it's up to your employer to find a replacement.

I certainly would not advise leaving in the middle of a shift without warning. As for "in the middle of a shift with warning", ehthere's loose ground right there. If I really wanted to leave I'd quit the following day in that scenario.

The following behaviors are not patient abandonment
but they are employment issues which can lead to facility or organization action, even though the board of nursing refuses to get involved:

Failing to call in, not showing up, or arriving late for a shift
Refusing an assignment for religious, cultural, legal or ethical reasons
Refusing to work in an unsafe situation
Refusing to give care that may harm the patient
Refusing to delegate patient care to an unsafe caregiver
Refusing to work mandatory overtime
Not returning from a leave of absence
Ending employment without sufficient notice for the employer to find a replacement
Refusing to work all remaining scheduled shifts after resigning
Refusing to work in an unfamiliar, specialized, or other type of area when you have had no orientation, education or experience in the area – such as refusing to float to an unfamiliar unit
Refusing to come in and cover a shift
Giving notice and working only part of the remaining time
The ones bolded are the scenarios I mean by "walking out". They're not illegal.

The ones in italics are an interesting case because I would feel duty bound to do exactly that, in those situations. AKA: if the situation was unsafe for the patients or myself, or if I thought the care was negligent , or if I thought the person who was taking over was  not experienced in doing X or Y, or I felt that *I* was being required to do X or Y without feeling able to do so... I think I'd be duty bound to make a stand. In fact, I think I would be liable if I didn't.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 09:04:52 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149470 on: January 09, 2020, 09:16:54 am »

I agree, it is not safe or proper for either the staff or the patients under their care for employers to play musical staffing, especially where training and experience in the unit one is placed in are required to give proper care.

But again-- staff shortage. Endemic.  Systemic.

The normal person got the flu and will be down for at least a week? Nobody else can cover? WELP-- you just got drafted. Nope, your complaints fall on deaf ears, because there is literally nobody else to take over that unit until the usual staff gets better.

Etc.

Happens all the time.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149471 on: January 11, 2020, 04:55:49 pm »

Everyone's pay got set to minimum wage, which in my case I think was a pay cut. Also, there's no merit increase in pay at our yearly review this year.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #149472 on: January 11, 2020, 05:05:09 pm »

Leave ASAP, just start job hunting now and put in your two weeks notice. And tell them why you're leaving. And tell all your coworkers to do the same. That's bullshit and you should abandon their dumb asses en masse and give hem bad reviews on every rating system you can to punish them. Including telling customers on customer review sites every little dirty secret you know to discourage business further.

Who was it by the way
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 05:10:49 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149473 on: January 11, 2020, 05:09:51 pm »

Leave ASAP, just start job hunting now and put in your two weeks notice. And tell them why you're leaving. And tell all your coworkers to do the same. That's bullshit and you should abandon their dumb asses en masse and give hem bad reviews on every rating system you can to punish them. Including telling customers on customer review sites every little dirty secret you know to discourage business further.
I agree with this

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149474 on: January 11, 2020, 05:58:22 pm »

Job made me do the song and dance to sign up for insurance a few months ago and silently never actually gave me the insurance at all.

Its probably because I don't work full time, only conveniently four hours short.  I'd consider quitting outright after promising benefits for like four months straight but every job scams people like this in this third world shithole.  And I'd still not have health insurance anyway.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 9963 9964 [9965] 9966 9967 ... 11038