Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9571 9572 [9573] 9574 9575 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14505752 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #143580 on: March 15, 2019, 11:17:54 am »

I mean, on the other hand, I was really never a part of the educational system and my attention span is crap. I used to punch through books like crazy, now I'm flailing around all over the place and have difficulties finishing even a moderately lengthy news article.

Might have something to do with my failing eyesight and the mental illness that's been deteriorating my brain for the past couple decades, but that could just be coincidental.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143581 on: March 15, 2019, 11:35:00 am »

I thought that children being annoying and uncooperative little shits was one of the social constants of this world, especially for those who have to deal with them?

Yes and no..
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/03/13/685533353/a-playful-way-to-teach-kids-to-control-their-anger

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143582 on: March 15, 2019, 12:21:43 pm »

I thought that children being annoying and uncooperative little shits was one of the social constants of this world, especially for those who have to deal with them?

Well, my quote is attributed to Plato from ~400 BC, so...

In other news, I love how when I'm trying to get just a bit more sleep before my alarm my brain embarks on this hee-larious progression through a variety of stressful and unhelpful topics up to and including mild existentialism.
Thanks brain! I need to be up in an hour if I'm to have any hope of getting at least one or two things done before heading off for round three of family visit stuff...

Yes, that is a normal thing brains do with stress. Ignore it for now, and deal with it when you're relaxed. Because what I want is to finally relax, maybe try to sleep, then get hit with anxiety.

That is like the polar opposite of a finely tuned fuel efficient combustion engine

"Efficient" in that combustion engines have a measurable efficiency? If I remember my thermodynamics correctly from...a few years ago, the maximum theoretical efficiency (which only diesel even gets close to) is like 30%. The only reason you'd waste something (petroleum products in this case) on a combustion engine is because a) it's very cheap, b) it's otherwise worthless (which leads to a)), or c) people are idiots.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #143583 on: March 15, 2019, 12:25:27 pm »

No, diesel can go up to 55% which is the highest we've got so far. Energy converting machinery isn't terribly efficent for the most part, atleast not in everyday useable forms.

Also mixing diesel and gas in an open fire is kinda silly and a waste of diesel since the stuff wasn't really made with open burning in mind, going with just gas would've been a better idea and left much less (if any) residue.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143584 on: March 15, 2019, 12:27:51 pm »

Well, my quote is attributed to Plato from ~400 BC, so...

Those attributions are incorrect.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143585 on: March 15, 2019, 12:31:04 pm »

Those attributions are incorrect.

Cool. I learnt something today.

Now to go drink until I forget.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143586 on: March 15, 2019, 12:31:54 pm »

If I remember my thermodynamics correctly from...a few years ago, the maximum theoretical efficiency (which only diesel even gets close to) is like 30%. The only reason you'd waste something (petroleum products in this case) on a combustion engine is because a) it's very cheap, b) it's otherwise worthless (which leads to a)), or c) people are idiots.

Carnot efficiency

Maximum theoretical efficiency depends on the temperatures of the hot and cold reservoir, not on the engine itself.

That 30% metric you're referring to is probably the maximum efficiency any engine whatsoever can get if its hot reservoir is at the temperature that petroleum burns at.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143587 on: March 15, 2019, 12:37:34 pm »

Also mixing diesel and gas in an open fire is kinda silly and a waste of diesel since the stuff wasn't really made with open burning in mind, going with just gas would've been a better idea and left much less (if any) residue.
Sure, except that the military doesn't have gas. Every single vehicle (land, sea, or air), every generator, and every accessory (like our little "lunchbox o' death" infantry grills) is calibrated to run on a special type of diesel so that we only ever need to buy and manage one kind of fuel. It's an incredibly simple system that makes things a lot easier to deal with.

Except for the vehicles and generators that ran on gas instead.

So, anyways, we put diesel in a barrel and burned it so we could cook our socks dry. Because that's just how you do things.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143588 on: March 15, 2019, 12:46:04 pm »

Windows 10
You are not required to create a password for an account, but if you do, you also have to select 3 control questions in case you forget it.
Yes, select, not write them yourself. And all that you can select are ones, that someone who knows you could know answers for as well. Answers to some of them would even be known by anyone who read your CV.

Use a Microsoft account instead. Deal with an entirely different set of bullshittery.

Seriously. I didn't have to fill out any security questions but MS now bugs me about "hey, using your MS account password on all of your computers is totally insecure yo, so set a different four-digit pin on each device and use that instead."

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #143589 on: March 15, 2019, 12:48:24 pm »

Windows 10
You are not required to create a password for an account, but if you do, you also have to select 3 control questions in case you forget it.
Yes, select, not write them yourself. And all that you can select are ones, that someone who knows you could know answers for as well. Answers to some of them would even be known by anyone who read your CV.

I bet there's some totally subjective opinion questions where the answer might change by the time you need it, too.

That's why I make up gibberish with numbers, symbols and multiple cases and use it as the "answers" to my security questions.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143590 on: March 15, 2019, 12:48:57 pm »

"We're bad at security, please don't rely on us."

Sebastian2203

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143591 on: March 15, 2019, 01:25:16 pm »

Today I thought I was gonna get punched, instead I had a strange WTF moment.

I am at McDonals kind of fast food, sitting at the table facing another person who was sitting just one table away.
The dude is like 30 years old, also he had a lot of gaping teeth.
Then group of kids probably 15 to 16 years old sits adjacent to the dude.
Then some minutes later, the dude starts cussing heavily at the kid who was sitting the closest.
Their whole group went quiet.
“Look at me again and I will tear your eyes out, faggot.”
The kid went pale.
Their group then stands up and he keeps cussing at him, giving him a death stare.
“I dare you to look at me again.”
They disappear out of sight.
I am sitting face 2 face so I except trouble from this guy and avoid eye contact.
I might be in for a hard time and I feel wave of panic inside me.
He finishes his meal and I make the mistake of looking him into the eye.

“Enjoy your meal bro.”
I politely say thanks.
“Even though it’s going hard inside you, I was like that too.”
He then leaves.

WTF? I don’t know what to think of this encounter.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #143592 on: March 15, 2019, 01:27:23 pm »

Reach Enlightenment Through Anger.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143593 on: March 15, 2019, 01:27:43 pm »

“Even though it’s going hard inside you, I was like that too.”
He then leaves.
I'm pretty sure he wants to have sex with you.

Or thinks he already did.

Sebastian2203

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143594 on: March 15, 2019, 01:31:07 pm »

I translated that from my language as this happened at my country, 30 minutes ago.
He meant that I was forcing myself to eat the food, thus eating slowly.

But I am just wondering why didn’t he lash out at me, I was alone, hell I was facing him.
Instead he has a rage because somebody looked at him wrong, who was sitting with his back to him.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 01:33:27 pm by Sebastian2203 »
Pages: 1 ... 9571 9572 [9573] 9574 9575 ... 11037