Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9359 9360 [9361] 9362 9363 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14562633 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #140400 on: November 22, 2018, 11:02:35 am »

I never got the impression that the radio voices were saying "why bother" in Rising. It's more about... how there's only so much good you can do in the world by cutting things to pieces by the sword. Raiden does kinda lose it and go on a berserk crusade to save a few children kidnapped by sinister megacorperation.

Also, the only time I recall a character saying specifically "you cannot save every child in the world" was bladewolf, in a conversation about how Raiden kinda went into a crazy ripper berserk rage, yelling about how he does everything just because he enjoys killing. Wolf was analyzing Raiden's motivations, because Raiden asked if Wolf still wanted to help him.
I guess basically Wolf is pointing out that Raiden is motivated more by emotion than reason, wanting to specifically help people going through the same things as he went through. But Wolf does conclude that his mission is just and worth helping in the end. If Wolf were really thinking "why even bother saving these children?", he could have just left Raiden behind. Instead he choses to stay.

Sorry for the over-analysis, I just think that Rising has a deeper plot than most people assume, and Bladewolf is my waifu so I must defend him! '^_^

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #140401 on: November 22, 2018, 11:55:42 am »

I kinda stopped paying attention to the story when the guy who sorted out Raiden and his artificial body and blood was all “HER TITS ARE REAL MAN” when he saw one of the female baddies.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140402 on: November 22, 2018, 12:45:41 pm »

It's pretty in character with Metal Gear's love for random irrelevant digressions and boobs. Like the whole series, the juvenile bits don't quite invalidate the serious things it has to say.
Except MGSV. That one was mostly nonsense.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #140403 on: November 22, 2018, 01:04:05 pm »

Hell, Metal Gear even has more butt-shots of men than gratuitous boobs.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140404 on: November 22, 2018, 01:06:06 pm »

It's pretty in character with Metal Gear's love for random irrelevant digressions and boobs. Like the whole series, the juvenile bits don't quite invalidate the serious things it has to say.
Except MGSV. That one was mostly nonsense.

Did you not like how Snake grew a horn?

I actually just got it offa humba bunda. I really love the insanity of the series. I'm hoping to start it up after I get through Revengeance difficulty of MGR.

Though I'm guessing with how covetous and irresponsible Konami is nowadays, Platinum probably won't ever get to make Metal Gear Rising 2...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140405 on: November 22, 2018, 01:54:47 pm »

Good falafel is excellent, poor falafel is outrageously meh. Unfortunately, the kebab joint down the way serves the "meh" version of falafel... Not fried enough. Also it comes in these deep-frozen burger patty shapes, which is just wrong.

The Mad Greek Cafe in Baker, California used to have pretty good falafel. They used to have a lot of things that were pretty good, but they've gotten really shabby in later years...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #140406 on: November 22, 2018, 02:59:52 pm »

So I got to playing Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (WTF Firefox, my phone's speech to text knows Revengeance but you don't?) and it's a great game, I love it, what a great choice on my part. The WTF is that part of the story involves saving the lives of some children, but everyone is all like "But Raiden! You can't save EVERY child on the planet so what's even the point of saving these ones?!" and I just want to jump into a game so I can get up in their face about that shitty all-or-nothing logical fallacy.
That game's story only works if you assume its at least partly ironic.

"At yet here I am... arguing philosphy with terrorists" ~Raiden, summarizing the entire game

For bonus points, after you beat the game watch any youtube video about Armstrong and read what Trump supporters are saying in the comments.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140407 on: November 22, 2018, 03:04:41 pm »

Rising: "How many layers of irony are you on right now?"

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140408 on: November 22, 2018, 03:05:04 pm »

For bonus points, after you beat the game watch any youtube video about Armstrong and read what Trump supporters are saying in the comments.

New Game +
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140409 on: November 22, 2018, 05:31:20 pm »

Australia rotary meats culture is huge on kebab, vague on gyros and nonexistent on schwarma.

What is this food and how does it compare?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #140410 on: November 22, 2018, 05:53:53 pm »

I think shawarma is just the word turks use for kebab. Iirc my wikipedia research yesterday it means "rotate" in Arabic, so like gyros in Greek.

Silly Turks, thinking they know their own language better than us
Love, scriver~

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140411 on: November 22, 2018, 11:30:39 pm »

I thought that was donor.
Then again i’ve spent all this time thinking that schearma was Lebanese
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140412 on: November 23, 2018, 02:10:56 am »

I think shawarma is just the word turks use for kebab. Iirc my wikipedia research yesterday it means "rotate" in Arabic, so like gyros in Greek.

Implying Turks speak Arabic.
Kebap intensifies.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #140413 on: November 23, 2018, 02:27:44 am »

Implying Turks speak Arabic.
Kebap intensifies.

Implying words do not travel between languages
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140414 on: November 23, 2018, 02:51:25 am »

That don't make no sense.

Turks invented doner kebap. Turkish has a word for rotate. Arabs took the kebap and started calling it using the mangled Turkish word.

You're saying Turks call the dish they invented and have a name for using the Arabic rendering of a Turkish word.
Pages: 1 ... 9359 9360 [9361] 9362 9363 ... 11040