Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9350 9351 [9352] 9353 9354 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14558718 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #140265 on: November 19, 2018, 09:52:06 pm »

Fairly common misunderstanding turned argument.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140266 on: November 19, 2018, 09:52:58 pm »

You may feel calm but the words you are posting can be easily construed as an attack.  I am only suggesting that you step back from this particular argument and maybe take a break for a bit, there isn't a good reason to turn this into a full-fledged battle.
Trust me, I don't intend to indulge anyone who feels like battling, but from my perspective this isn't even an argument. It's just a conversation. And, honestly, the previous conversation is over now anyway, so now it's a conversation, mainly between me and you, about that conversation. I still don't really understand what "stepping back" is meant to accomplish?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #140267 on: November 19, 2018, 09:55:16 pm »

Hey Lord Shonus, may I ask if you agree forks go in mouths? Based on your prior post do you also not like putting forks in your mouth after somebody else put one in theirs?
he's not putting the same fork in his mouth
it's a different fork, same pan

As far as I am concerned, taking a fork out of your mouth and sticking it in my food is exactly the same as taking a fork out of your mouth and shoving it into mine. It is an act vile beyond belief.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140268 on: November 19, 2018, 09:59:33 pm »

As far as I am concerned, taking a fork out of your mouth and sticking it in my food is exactly the same as taking a fork out of your mouth and shoving it into mine. It is an act vile beyond belief.
I totally agree with that, as previously established.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #140269 on: November 19, 2018, 10:05:07 pm »

I totally agree with that, as previously established.

And yet you seem to think that I have no right to be pissed off at people insisting that regularly doing just that is no big deal. You also act as if "complying with your request would require the tiniest bit of effort on my part" is sound reason to declare any request irrational and worthy of a derisive dismissal.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140270 on: November 19, 2018, 10:05:18 pm »

Yeah I have a family member with the same... I guess let's go broad-spectrum and call it germophobia?
Point being, they have a right to not eat the stuff. I'm the person who'll dip the wooden spoon into a sauce or stew, taste it, and then put the spoon right back in the simmering liquid, but I certainly don't do that if I'm cooking for said sibling.

I think that's mainly a function of 'who is responsible for providing the feed'. He probably wouldn't have been able to get away with such foibles if we were all still in the same house, simply because the way Mum has done stuff for 20 years isn't going to change so readily.

Edit: I think the issue is more of a slippery slope fallacy. 'Don't put your fork in my food' is fine, but 'don't mention men around me' is less reasonable, if maybe understandable. From there then there's surely some things which are actually fully illogical which no reasonable person should be expected to tiptoe around.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 10:08:24 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #140271 on: November 19, 2018, 10:09:53 pm »

Yeah I have a family member with the same... I guess let's go broad-spectrum and call it germophobia?
Point being, they have a right to not eat the stuff. I'm the person who'll dip the wooden spoon into a sauce or stew, taste it, and then put the spoon right back in the simmering liquid, but I certainly don't do that if I'm cooking for said sibling.

It isn't just things like that. If, for example, we have a very large bowl of salsa on the table, my Ma will refuse to take the serving spoon and transfer it to the small bowls set out for that exact purpose. Instead, she will use said serving spoon as an eating spoon to gobble the salsa right out of the bowl. Then get pissed when it has to be thrown out because I refuse to touch it afterward.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140272 on: November 19, 2018, 10:14:49 pm »

I think that's mainly a function of 'who is responsible for providing the feed'. He probably wouldn't have been able to get away with such foibles if we were all still in the same house, simply because the way Mum has done stuff for 20 years isn't going to change so readily.
Yes, this is exactly my perspective. I'm one of those people, although I'm not a germophobe — honestly, you could autoclave a spoon someone else had used and it would still gross me out, it's not about germs but about some vaguely-defined lizard-brain feeling of contamination — but I just... prepare my own food, and don't get mad at other people for doing things that don't bother them. It's basic charity.

It isn't just things like that. If, for example, we have a very large bowl of salsa on the table, my Ma will refuse to take the serving spoon and transfer it to the small bowls set out for that exact purpose. Instead, she will use said serving spoon as an eating spoon to gobble the salsa right out of the bowl. Then get pissed when it has to be thrown out because I refuse to touch it afterward.
That's gross, but why are you still eating with these people? And, well, having to throw stuff out is also an understandable thing to be upset over, and I'd counsel both of you to calm down. There doesn't need to be anger.

And I can assure you from my personal experience that there are many people who don't understand the concept of a serving spoon, including some who will tell you that it's classist. This isn't a character flaw so much as just a really disgusting, unfortunate way of being that we all have to learn to accept. From a separate table.

ETA: let me add:
And yet you seem to think that I have no right to be pissed off at people insisting that regularly doing just that is no big deal. You also act as if "complying with your request would require the tiniest bit of effort on my part" is sound reason to declare any request irrational and worthy of a derisive dismissal.
I don't think anyone ever has a right to be pissed off. :)
Sure, sometimes it happens whether you want it to or not, but it's really something we should all try to get past.
(And it doesn't even have to require effort! I approve of dismissing any and all requests for any reason, because requests are supererogatory.)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 10:17:12 pm by Maximum Spin »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #140273 on: November 19, 2018, 10:24:16 pm »

That's gross, but why are you still eating with these people?

Because when I lived elsewhere, my parents were unable to pay their bills and nearly lost their house, perhaps?  We get on well enough otherwise, it is just one really disgusting habit they refuse to give up.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140274 on: November 19, 2018, 10:45:59 pm »

Because when I lived elsewhere, my parents were unable to pay their bills and nearly lost their house, perhaps?  We get on well enough otherwise, it is just one really disgusting habit they refuse to give up.
But could you prepare your food separately? It sounds like 'banquet'-type meals are just not right for you, like they aren't for me.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #140275 on: November 19, 2018, 10:58:03 pm »

But could you prepare your food separately? It sounds like 'banquet'-type meals are just not right for you, like they aren't for me.

That is quite impractical for many reasons, nor do I think "we're living in your house, using your utilities, but you have to make your own food because we have no respect for your wishes" is a reasonable attitude.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140276 on: November 19, 2018, 11:14:57 pm »

Shrug, the "as long as you live under my roof you'll follow my rules!" card is also a valid one, albeit not necessarily my preference. It sounds like you're not really willing to enforce the demand, though. In that case there may well not be much more that you can do than persistent, calm, even-toned badgering, without distracting from the message by allowing yourself to get angry... if you're lucky they might even learn, slowly. I hope it works out.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140277 on: November 19, 2018, 11:35:10 pm »

Sounds like you're pinning all the characteristics of a class you don't like on one random individual. Maybe he was just having a horrible day and ended up feeling awful about it. Maybe he grew up in and still lives in poverty, relative or abject.

Don't judge someone based on fifteen seconds of mostly non-verbal communication. It's a terrible thing to do, deciding that since they look like a group you hate they must be evil.
This is from a ways back, but yeah... always consider carefully before making one of those sweeping, enraged judgements, because once you've voiced such thoughts you can't take them back and absolutely cannot budge in your opinion. Whatever arguments others bring to the discussion, the only suitable response you can take is to grow angrier.   
So, y'know. Make sure you're sure. *shrug*   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140278 on: November 20, 2018, 02:12:34 am »

Spoiler: rant (click to show/hide)

tl:dr How to big businesses keep making money when they are clearly mismanaged so badly?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 02:15:55 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140279 on: November 20, 2018, 02:18:01 am »

People like you and your co-worker throw your weight around and get leveraged into positions of tenuous authority, and they’re over a barrel so they do it.

... sometimes.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 9350 9351 [9352] 9353 9354 ... 11040