Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9331 9332 [9333] 9334 9335 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14558079 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #139980 on: November 10, 2018, 03:59:56 pm »

We have reached peak WTF. Akura, please lock the thread, it has achieved its purpose in life.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #139981 on: November 10, 2018, 04:03:14 pm »

This for things that have confused you today.

This thread confused me today.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #139982 on: November 10, 2018, 04:06:06 pm »

Humankind has at last reached its true potential

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #139983 on: November 10, 2018, 04:12:19 pm »

I am readying the lifeposts in case we should need to abandon ship, since we do seem to have struck an... Heatedargumentberg?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139984 on: November 10, 2018, 04:14:29 pm »

Heated?  I have never gone beyond amused smirk, personally.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #139985 on: November 10, 2018, 04:16:18 pm »

Bay12 doesn't do heated since the last Great Purge.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #139986 on: November 10, 2018, 04:17:38 pm »

Well, yeah, that’s the question mark at the end there. You’ve reached WTF-ian singularity, thus causing deep confusion in literally everyone else. This is the ultimate WTF moment of the WTF thread, right here. We need medals.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #139987 on: November 10, 2018, 04:17:56 pm »

No, no, no. This isn't even a loaded question. Do you, or do you not, find that universal basic income and total freedom outweigh routine torture etc. etc.?

As an additional input to this question, consider that the torture etc. etc. only became prevalent after the establishment of all the bits you like.

Side note,  I've never called them absolute evil, that's your own construction. False dichotomy I think? You've constructed a narrative where I'm trying to say they have absolutely no redeeming features, but I never made that claim.

Interestingly, this is a topic that comes up a lot here in Africa. Colonialism led to Western education, hygiene, infrastructure, and so on; so was it truly that bad? The answer is yes, of course it was. This gets heavy and brings in rape, sorry, but it's a classic argument: if a woman is raped, bears a child, and loves that child, was the rapist good?

The fact that something has positive qualities does not necessarily outweigh the negative qualities, nor does it mean there was no better way to get it done. You may prevaricate all you wish; at the end of the day, you must decide. Is it better to have the bits you like or not to have torture etc. etc.? Upon visiting K'n-yan, would the average person find them to be "really not that bad"?

You smirk in ALL CAPS?  That's a really loud smirk. Also, if you display amusement by insulting people ya should probably reconsider that. :P

We have reached peak WTF. Akura, please lock the thread, it has achieved its purpose in life.

I once slew Th4DwArfY1 with nothing but a Bible and my bare hands. This is my calling!

Send help, the bants are taking over. I can't stop!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #139988 on: November 10, 2018, 04:20:55 pm »

Okay okay okay, this is parliamentary levels of passive agrassive right here. I admit I was wrong, etc, Etc, now hand me more of the popcorn.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139989 on: November 10, 2018, 04:21:34 pm »

Okay okay okay, this is parliamentary levels of passive agrassive right here. I admit I was wrong, etc, Etc, now hand me more of the popcorn.
Steals handful.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #139990 on: November 10, 2018, 04:25:31 pm »

MISTER SPEAKER PLEASE

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #139991 on: November 10, 2018, 04:27:06 pm »

MISTER SPEAKER PLEASE

Gentlemen, you can't fight here! This is the WTF room!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #139992 on: November 10, 2018, 04:30:13 pm »

I'm going to be terribly unpolite now and ask you to please sto- *gets talked over*
In a time before time, I had a name.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139993 on: November 10, 2018, 04:31:12 pm »

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139994 on: November 10, 2018, 04:32:48 pm »

No, no, no. This isn't even a loaded question. Do you, or do you not, find that universal basic income and total freedom outweigh routine torture etc. etc.?

Yes, yes it is.  I never implied the basis of the question, which is that I do, and that this makes me a bad person. That never was, and has not been, a factor in my statement.  The statement was that aside from the paranoia, which prevents the culture from exiting its downward spiral, it would not be so bad.  AS-- the isolationism stemming from the paranoia is what has been sustaining the feedback loop of the downward spiral.  This is, and has been, my answer.  It is just not the one you want.

As an additional input to this question, consider that the torture etc. etc. only became prevalent after the establishment of all the bits you like.

Correct.  It came after, as a consequence of the society entering a self-sustaining feedback loop, due to the isolation, and the trend toward tolerance of intolerable things.

Side note,  I've never called them absolute evil, that's your own construction. False dichotomy I think? You've constructed a narrative where I'm trying to say they have absolutely no redeeming features, but I never made that claim.

Patently false.  Or, did you NOT ask this question? *emphasis added*
So since you're conceding the "decadent horrors", would you agree that the k'n-yan are, in fact, regardless of how they could change if it weren't for the fact that they apparently democratically chose not to, absolutely abhorrent?

Interestingly, this is a topic that comes up a lot here in Africa. Colonialism led to Western education, hygiene, infrastructure, and so on; so was it truly that bad? The answer is yes, of course it was. This gets heavy and brings in rape, sorry, but it's a classic argument: if a woman is raped, bears a child, and loves that child, was the rapist good?

The act of rape is bad.  The abuse of other people, regardless of their race is bad.  Good things can come from bad things. (A loved baby, born from rape.) The baby is a good thing, but the rape is not.  The fact that the baby is born of rape, does not make the baby abhorrent. That is the point. The rape is abhorrent, not the baby. The rapist is bad, in that they did an unpardonable thing; however, this does not communicate the whole picture.  The rapist is, and does, more than the rape he has committed.  No person is wholly good, nor wholly evil. This is why one should not use words like "absolute" in describing the person, only the act. The rape is indeed "absolutely abhorrent." the rapist? That remains to be seen.

The fact that something has positive qualities does not necessarily outweigh the negative qualities, nor does it mean there was no better way to get it done. You may prevaricate all you wish; at the end of the day, you must decide. Is it better to have the bits you like or not to
have torture etc. etc.? Upon visiting K'n-yan, would the average person find them to be "really not that bad"?

The average person does not act rationally.  So, no.  Rational people visiting k'n yan, would point out to the people there that their addiction to diversions of this nature, strongly parallel the collapse of the city of Yoth-- INCLUDING the creation of the slave races.  In the interests of their own civilization, they should abandon it, and should instead seek ways to undo the idiocracy of their slave caste, and then reintegrate it into mainstream society. At least, that is the tact I personally would take if I visited there.  I would give them justifiable reasons for not wanting to consume subhumans as meat, and would suggest that it is not only a vector for serious diseases (like prion disease), but also inefficient in an enclosed ecology like theirs-- that they should strongly consider herbivores instead, and make several surface world suggestions.  Again, I dont want to throw the baby out with the bath water. (or, to use your own question-- condemn the baby along with the rape.)

You smirk in ALL CAPS?  That's a really loud smirk. Also, if you display amusement by insulting people ya should probably reconsider that. :P

I use caps in this way for emphasis. Consider it either bold, or italic. It will help.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 04:45:44 pm by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 9331 9332 [9333] 9334 9335 ... 11039