Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9322 9323 [9324] 9325 9326 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14543833 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #139845 on: November 08, 2018, 12:20:31 pm »

Where’s the bar here, and why is a single skill per se which is the qualifier, and not blanket fine motor control, which would then need to be intrinsic? Why is it fine motor control and not the throwing and catching of a ball?

Well, the bar shifts depending on what you mean by ambidexterity (see my post above), and brains vary enough that we need large sample sizes to tease apart things like motor skills that are an emergent property of physical conditioning, neurological variances and learned skills. Writing is something that lots of people know how to do at a very nearly automatic level, so it's easier to put a cohort together without teaching them some new task and complicating things by involving learning -- and it's also necessary for so many people that it makes the concept of handedness more relevant at the level of a population.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139846 on: November 08, 2018, 12:26:29 pm »

I'm left-handed as well, and it does seem anecdotally true that practice can overcome preference in terms of the final quality of the tasks (i.e. the added difficulty in learning is eventually overcome completely). For instance, I chop vegetables with a kitchen knife right-handed several times each day, but weird out if I even try to hold a fork in the right. This sort of thing is very common among lefties, as it's rare to get the opportunity to be shown things left-handed as a kid, even without some horrible institution forcing handedness. I do a majority of tasks the right-handed way, simply because that's the way right-handed people teach it and the way the world is designed.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 12:28:02 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139847 on: November 08, 2018, 12:38:05 pm »

blanket fine motor control, which would then need to be intrinsic?
Fine motor control is learnable. In both hands.

You're welcome to believe whatever you want, but your opinion is factually wrong.
I’d like to see your texts then, as i’m just going with prevailing opinion and Wikipedia.
Not good sources, but then again I haven’t been espousing my factual correctness.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139848 on: November 08, 2018, 12:40:21 pm »

blanket fine motor control, which would then need to be intrinsic?
Fine motor control is learnable. In both hands.

You're welcome to believe whatever you want, but your opinion is factually wrong.
I’d like to see your texts then, as i’m just going with prevailing opinion and Wikipedia.
Not good sources, but then again I haven’t been espousing my factual correctness.
Tackual correctness works just as well!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139849 on: November 08, 2018, 12:51:04 pm »

This is why I just said "you're welcome to believe whatever you want"! I'm not any more motivated to find "acceptable sources" than you are, man. It is not important.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #139850 on: November 08, 2018, 01:19:37 pm »

More of "Interesting fact" than WTF: Apparently, Nikita is not only a Russian masculine name, but also a feminine Indian name. While playing XCOM2 Tactical Pack DLC, I had an androgynous-looking Templar, called Nikita Bedi. I thought twas a dude, until I've heard a distinctly feminine voice coming out of Nikita.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139851 on: November 08, 2018, 01:32:06 pm »

This is why I just said "you're welcome to believe whatever you want"! I'm not any more motivated to find "acceptable sources" than you are, man. It is not important.
”You’re welcome to believe what you want but you’re quantifiably wrong” as a phrase does put you on the damn hook, if I can be frank. You’re treating me like an anti-vaxxer because I opinioned a long-held and commonly known scientific theory. If I told you that bricks weren’t brown but you’re “welcome to believe what you want”, damn straight you’d want more info.

You had already made a good one. You could have just ended on a high note.
... why.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 01:40:14 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #139852 on: November 08, 2018, 01:41:56 pm »

I haven't posted this here yet because I was dead for the last two days, but its better here than Ameripol. Context: I work as an election employee in the City of New York.

So they had a new ballot on Tuesday. A new, more complicated ballot. See previously, voting was fairly simple: you go to your table, sign your name, get your ballot, go to a privacy booth, fill out circles on the ballot SAT style, come to one of the scanners, slide it in, and you're done. Simple, right? Well, this ballot added a new step: it had two pages, attached to each other. So now you have to separate the ballots (carefully!), and then slide the ballots in one at a time. It was a small change, and made to accommodate ballot proposals.

And yet that small change led to so much pain. First, tearing a ballot can cause problems. If you tear it wrong, you might cause the paper to be uneven and thus the machine will sometimes reject it on your first or second (or third...) attempt. You might also accidentally void your ballot by ripping it wrong, but to my knowledge this never actually occurred (except maybe once, and bear in mind we had at least a thousand voters), since even though people are dumb, they aren't quite so dumb as to rip their ballot in that specific way. Second, in spite of their being instructions in every privacy sleeve and being instructed on what to do by the table people (and us scanner people, if it gets to us), some people did try to insert the ballots, either while still connected, or sometimes two at once (which led to the machines breaking down much more frequently).

In addition, there was also a new problem: Ballots are legal documents.1 One result of this is that ballots are taken very seriously. Some of the worst problems we can face involve ballots that people leave behind, because there are extremely few circumstances under which we're allowed to touch ballots that have been given to a voter (even if a voter asks us to touch them), and they have very strict rules. But having two ballots means the likelihood of "abandoned ballot" problems balloon: a voter might make a mistake on only one of their ballots, and if they vote on the other before trying the bad one, they have to get a new one, but only half of one: ordinarily it's quite obvious when someone has to get a new ballot since they have to return the old one, but now someone could have a half-vote while going back to the table, which opens up security issues. In addition, sometimes people just want to give up because one of the ballots doesn't interest them, but they really are not allowed to do that because then there'd be an extra ballot sitting around. And pretty much all of these problems lead to people getting frustrated.

And then there were more problems: rain was bad yesterday. Rain got on the privacy sleeves (how? I have no idea!). Rain on the privacy sleeves gets on the ballot. Wet ballots can cause paper jams. Paper jams means one of our eight machines break and the entire damn line slows down.
Another issue: more ballots mean people ask us more irrelevant questions ("Which one first?" "Does it scan both sides?") and fewer relevant ones (i.e. "Where do I insert this?"). The papers for instructing people how to vote with the new ballots were actually everywhere: before, voters would only get two things from us, a ballot and a privacy sleeve (and optionally a sticker). Now, they got three, the above two items, and this piece of paper instructing them what to do to tear the ballot. Now the ballot goes into the scanner, and the privacy sleeves are returned to us scanner people or to the tables. But the sheet of paper? It ended up everywhere. The area around the privacy booths was covered with papers people had abandoned on the floor, and entire privacy booths were a mess of completely useless paper (occasionally hiding an actually important piece of paper). And we had so many more than we needed even before the recycling of them.
And due to fears of overflowing ballot boxes, we actually had to shut down two machines later in the evening, because if it got to 800 votes we'd have to call the main office, shut it down, break the seals, take out the box, mark the votes, put in a new box, seal it up, mark it on the seals report, etc. etc. and that would take hours to do. In their defense, 800 votes means 1600 pages in a single box. That's a lot of pages.

But the worst thing is that people blame us. And not just the voters: I've seen at least two articles claiming that we aren't trained well enough, and at least one city politician claiming the same. There might be some merit to these claims if we'd ever been trained or even told about these two-page ballots to begin with! But no! They just introduced them without saying anything to us about it until the day of the election. And I can probably guess why: we'd have been able to tell them it was a bad idea as soon as we heard about it. Instead, we got... this, whatever it was.

1Unrelated wtf. A person actually walked up to a table with an inspector I was chatting with and asked if they could take a ballot with them. For sentimental purposes, presumably. I'm pretty sure we all looked at them like they had asked us to strip naked and lie in the path of an incoming car. No! No you cannot! A ballot is a legal document! Trying to walk out with a ballot is like one of the only two or three things we're authorized to get the onsite policeman for. I mean, I'm glad they asked instead of trying to just take one, but stoll (on the other hand, there's no way they could have gotten it without asking, since the ballots aren't exactly laying around or whatever, the only ones around are in the hands of Election Workers).
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #139853 on: November 08, 2018, 02:44:46 pm »

edit2: remember that movie with scarlett johannsen and morgan freeman where they said humans only use 3% of their brains or smt and some mad drugs made her use all her brains and then she ascended into some godlike being and turned into a flash drive?
Fun fact: there is exactly one situation in which you use 100% of your brain: a seizure. A brain is like a toolkit; you don't need to bring out the screwdriver when you're hammering nails, and the jackhammer is right out.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #139854 on: November 08, 2018, 03:22:58 pm »

edit2: remember that movie with scarlett johannsen and morgan freeman where they said humans only use 3% of their brains or smt and some mad drugs made her use all her brains and then she ascended into some godlike being and turned into a flash drive?
Fun fact: there is exactly one situation in which you use 100% of your brain: a seizure. A brain is like a toolkit; you don't need to bring out the screwdriver when you're hammering nails, and the jackhammer is right out.

I think people confuse using your whole brain with using your brain to 100% efficiency. Granted I doubt itd give you godlike powers... But you'd be crazy good at math.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #139855 on: November 08, 2018, 03:41:20 pm »

If you put a human brain under an MRI (or whatever the scanner for brain activity is) and take a snapshot of which areas of the brain are lighting up with activity, its like 20-30% IIRC.  But if you overlay multiple snapshots over time then most of the brain will be used, especially if the person scanned was trying to do something specific at the time.

The brains of people who have Alzheimers and certain other degenerative mental disorders from aging develop these dead spots that are just gone permanently.  But what's really interesting is that sometimes elderly people die without ever displaying Alzheimers symptoms... yet still have dead spots on the brain.  This would seem to imply that either the brain can repurpose sections of itself to replace damaged areas, or that some of our brain is redundant "spare parts."  Or both.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #139856 on: November 08, 2018, 04:04:49 pm »

or both is Absolutely right
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139857 on: November 08, 2018, 04:50:19 pm »

I still like that the human brain only consumes about 20 watts, and on average the entire human body only about 100 (unless doing heavy exercise of course).

More of a WTF in amazement than the typical meaning of it...
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #139858 on: November 08, 2018, 04:56:58 pm »

dies of shame
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139859 on: November 08, 2018, 04:57:37 pm »

I still like that the human brain only consumes about 20 watts, and on average the entire human body only about 100 (unless doing heavy exercise of course).

More of a WTF in amazement than the typical meaning of it...
Does this mean that when we get an idea and the lightbulb above our heads turns on, our brain actually suffers a brownout due to power shortage?
Pages: 1 ... 9322 9323 [9324] 9325 9326 ... 11037