Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9281 9282 [9283] 9284 9285 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14544243 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #139230 on: October 23, 2018, 12:53:34 am »

There is, but he's a burned out, soul-less capitalist trying his best to make ends meet in the post-immigration catastrophe, where his walled, home-owner's-association controlled community got overtaken by an influx of bad actors with brown skin, and worst of all, a dark skinned person from a southern country assumed power.

Considering the circumstances, he does not qualify for NPC status, because he is not liberal. :P
First off, that was masterful. However to be fair they're not expected to see rising sea levels for many years yet.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139231 on: October 23, 2018, 01:15:07 am »

There is, but he's a burned out, soul-less capitalist trying his best to make ends meet in the post-immigration catastrophe, where his walled, home-owner's-association controlled community got overtaken by an influx of bad actors with brown skin, and worst of all, a dark skinned person from a southern country assumed power.

Considering the circumstances, he does not qualify for NPC status, because he is not liberal. :P
First off, that was masterful. However to be fair they're not expected to see rising sea levels for many years yet.

Reports that the rising sea levels are the result of divine magic are misplaced, and fail to account for the increased lunar gravitation caused by the moon's mysterious descent. :P  While sketchy, we believe minority child immigrants are to blame.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #139232 on: October 23, 2018, 01:17:59 am »

Not to judge a book by their covers but if a politician doesn't even care enough about their appearance then I don't trust them to care enough about what they're supposed to be responsible in.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139233 on: October 23, 2018, 01:22:59 am »

Not to judge a book by their covers but if a politician doesn't even care enough about their appearance then I don't trust them to care enough about what they're supposed to be responsible in.

This is a common trope, but I will counter.

Take a high quality engineer.  (not the degree pimpin kind, I mean the kind that really knows their shit, and that is all they really care about) He shows up to work with unkempt hair, a grizzle-beard, and wrinkled clothes.  But DAUM, can that guy accurately tell you where your stress fractures will form under load, without even loading the computer simulations.

Corporate suits insist, using the reasoning you just used, that this guy needs to be replaced.  The real reason, is that the engineer just does not care about window dressing and superfluous accoutrements-- he cares about getting things done practically and pragmatically, and the suits cannot fathom how this guy can exist, nor how he is possibly one of the most valuable members of their workforce.

The same is likely also true of actual public servants, instead of career "used car salesman" type politicians, where "Image!" is their #1 priority.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #139234 on: October 23, 2018, 01:29:17 am »

The difference is that part of a politician's job is socializing, and you can't really socialize well if you look like shit.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139235 on: October 23, 2018, 01:32:55 am »

I mean the whole idea of soft power is about squeezing out as much from another person as possible without actually giving anything in return, and being unambiguously good looking and charismatic has a drastic effect on that.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139236 on: October 23, 2018, 01:38:26 am »

Yes.  It is also why psychopaths are such cunning manipulators.

They also tend towards having no rational concern for consequences, long-term planning, or how their actions impact others.

In short, the metric you are insisting on pre-selects for people that are prone towards NOT having their constituent's interests at heart.

(I do admit that this is a literal example of begging the question; It presupposes that valuing appearances == psychopathy, which is patently false.  That is not really the intention here though.  The intention is to point out that psychopathic individuals tend toward narcissistic levels of grand self-appearance, self-aggrandizement, and actively seek out circumstances that reinforce those things, and positions of political prominence would be the apex of such seeking. They would be differentiated from the more normal peers that value self-image in a more healthy manner by their pattern of behavior, which would be punctuated by repetitious incidence of the other features listed-- Cunning manipulation, lack of empathy for other people's conditions or status, lack of concern for consequences, and poor long-term planning skills.  This list of qualifying characteristics describes most career politicians quite aptly. )
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 02:04:41 am by wierd »

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #139237 on: October 23, 2018, 02:13:45 am »

Y'know, all this talk about alt-righters makes me wonder what will happen to /r/the_donald if Trump either loses the elections or gets impeached. Will they spew diatribe about "Chinese interference"? Will they go to "meme war" with /r/politics and other left-wing subreddits? Or maybe they'll pretend that the current reality is false, and that Trump is still the prez in "true" reality? 20D chess, perhaps?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 02:19:12 am by CABL »
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139238 on: October 23, 2018, 02:17:19 am »

when Trump either loses the elections or gets impeached
If, not when.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #139239 on: October 23, 2018, 02:19:23 am »

If, not when.
Fixed.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139240 on: October 23, 2018, 02:20:18 am »

Trump has alienated a good portion of his prior voter base, to galvanize the more extreme portions thereof.

This is a losing strategy, when it also galvanizes the opposition, promotes people to vote across party lines, AND promotes previously disinterested citizens to become active voters.

Especially when the turnout in the last cycle was close to a 50-50 demographic split.

I DO NOT expect Trump to gain a second term without resorting to outright voter fraud.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139241 on: October 23, 2018, 02:24:36 am »

I don't particularly expect it either. This does not make his defeat a foregone conclusion.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #139242 on: October 23, 2018, 02:29:21 am »

If, not when.
can't a man hope
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139243 on: October 23, 2018, 02:30:22 am »

If he DOES,  I expect it would be a result of excessive gerrymandering combined with outright exploitation of the electoral college, along with a massively in-congruent popular vote.

Otherwise, should he somehow manage to capture "99% of the vote! This is YUUGE! Big WIN!" levels of the vote, I would look *VERY* strongly at voter fraud. :P

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139244 on: October 23, 2018, 02:59:27 am »

Who's running against him?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 9281 9282 [9283] 9284 9285 ... 11037