Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9249 9250 [9251] 9252 9253 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14551569 times)

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #138750 on: October 09, 2018, 04:20:19 am »

I hate kefir, unless it's a yogurt using kefir as a base.

BTW, I'm the only one who has the weirdest relationship with tomatoes? I can eat tomatoes on a pizza, I love tomato ketchup, I can eat tomato slices added to various meals, but I absolutely cannot eat raw tomatoes.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #138751 on: October 09, 2018, 04:26:12 am »

I also strongly disliked raw tomatoes up until a couple of years ago. I still have the same kind of relationship with cucumber. Fine in things. Literally sickening if on it's own.

The latest few years my father has grown his own tomatoes in their garden and they're absolutely completely much greater than store bought.
Love, scriver~

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #138752 on: October 09, 2018, 04:52:01 am »

Modern storebought tomatoes have been carefully cultivated to be big and to have a large yield and a beautiful, unblemished* red colour. Things like nutrition and taste are less profitable. Add to this the supermarket habit of refrigerating them (tomatoes are in fact as shelf-stable as any other fruit) that further makes them lose taste and you get the watery pile of meh that they are.

Cooking them strengthens the taste, but homegrown tomatoes are much better, especially if you can get your hands on some seeds for less standardized cultivars.

*also, most of the time the blemishes come from things that have nothing to do with the produce's quality: those brown gashes you sometimes see come from the tomato being rained on; completely harmless, yet literal tons of perfectly fine food gets thrown away for such "aesthetic" reasons.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #138753 on: October 09, 2018, 05:00:14 am »

Shop tomatoes can be significantly, if not completely, improved by storing them at room temperature after you buy them (even if they were refrigerated in the shop). Sometimes there's just no saving them, though. A local hamburger franchise does delicious chips and passable patties, but the tomatoes they use taste like lettuce. >_<

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138754 on: October 09, 2018, 05:24:10 am »

BTW, I'm the only one who has the weirdest relationship with tomatoes? I can eat tomatoes on a pizza, I love tomato ketchup, I can eat tomato slices added to various meals, but I absolutely cannot eat raw tomatoes.
So much this.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #138755 on: October 09, 2018, 05:26:24 am »

So much this.
You’re not alone. I have the same issue.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138756 on: October 09, 2018, 05:38:14 am »

Seriously nope. Kefir is similar to Kumis, which was a drink the mongols used to make by letting bags of horse milk ferment. I guess when you gotta get drunk anything will do.
Not every fermented drink is meant to be alcoholic Reelya. Fermentation is simply an organism breathing when it doesn't have access to oxygen. Different species produce different byproducts when they use that metabolic pathway. Humans for example produce lactic acid (usually during intense sprints). It's those other chemicals that people make kefir for, any alcohol is incidental (or else you wouldn't be able to let children buy it from grocery stores)

Anyway I think kefir is shit as well, but there are some people who enjoy drinking something that tastes like sour cream. I can't comprehend why someone would try to make something like that strawberry flavored though. It ain't supposed to be sweet.

I was specifically referring to Kumis with that remark however, it gets up to 2.5% alcohol. Just pointing pointing out how far people will go for a drink. Fermented horse milk it is.Kefir is the soft drink version.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138757 on: October 09, 2018, 06:28:27 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:47:36 pm by dragdeler »
let

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #138758 on: October 09, 2018, 07:58:02 am »

And let's not forget that the mediterreans keep the best tomatoes to themselves.

Ah yes, traditional Italian cuisine involves tomatoes.

... Which are indigenous to the Americas and have only been widely used in Europe for barely 150- 200 years. Traditional dishes have only been around like two people's lifespans.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138759 on: October 09, 2018, 08:05:03 am »

And let's not forget that the mediterreans keep the best tomatoes to themselves.

... Which are indigenous to the Americas and have only been widely used in Europe for barely 150- 200 years. Traditional dishes have only been around like two people's lifespans.

Why wait for a 1000 year lineage to give you your traditions when you can just MAKE YOUR OWN?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #138760 on: October 09, 2018, 08:07:25 am »

Hey, if you do something you did a year ago on the same day, it's now an annual tradition. Every tradition is once young.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138761 on: October 09, 2018, 08:12:30 am »

Why wait for a 1000 year lineage to give you your traditions when you can just MAKE YOUR OWN?

Also, it seems a bit unfair to pour scorn on dragdeler. He said that they kept the tomatoes to themselves, not that they invented tomato-based cuisine.

Also, the noble curry and pint is a British tradition, as is the drunken kebab.  Traditions that are scant decades old.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #138762 on: October 09, 2018, 08:20:07 am »

Also, it seems a bit unfair to pour scorn on dragdeler. He said that they kept the tomatoes to themselves, not that they invented tomato-based cuisine.

Also, the noble curry and pint is a British tradition, as is the drunken kebab.  Traditions that are scant decades old.
And the pasty British fuckers were the ones to actually introduce chili peppers to India in the first place... Which is a weird thought, considering how much better the Indians are at using them.

But then again, the Vietnamese took baguettes and steak and made those things so much better as well, so yeah.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138763 on: October 09, 2018, 08:34:35 am »

Ah yes, traditional Italian cuisine involves tomatoes, which are indigenous to the Americas and have only been widely used in Europe for barely 150- 200 years. Traditional dishes have only been around like two people's lifespans.

Because heck, I'd love to make traditional turnip soup to go along with my parsnip soup.

Europe brought the meat. Everyone else can provide the potatoes.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #138764 on: October 09, 2018, 08:48:27 am »

I wasn't scorning dragdeler, I was pointing out An amusing fact that isn't widely discussed.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 9249 9250 [9251] 9252 9253 ... 11039