Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9237 9238 [9239] 9240 9241 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14555206 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #138570 on: October 04, 2018, 05:16:48 pm »

Pounded in the butt by the harsh tutelage of my butt.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #138571 on: October 04, 2018, 05:18:55 pm »

I feel like I just read a bit from the Moon is a Harsh Mistress.
Is this a butt pun, or are you referring to the future slang Heinlein was using?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138572 on: October 04, 2018, 05:56:53 pm »

I feel like I just read a bit from the Moon is a Harsh Mistress.
Is this a butt pun, or are you referring to the future slang Heinlein was using?

The future slang, but I really should've thought about the butt puns.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138573 on: October 04, 2018, 06:16:30 pm »

I was learning Japanese, heard this particular site was good, and it had a free trial so I started it. Haven't had time to go back, and they're sending me daily reminders. However the WTF is that the recent emails have started to take a ... passive aggressive tone about me not logging in:

Do you really want to learn Japanese?

I've just taken a look at your study profile, and I can see your progress has stalled!

[Button: Get back to learning]

Before you even start to give me reasons, I will go ahead and debunk three of the most common excuses students give me when they stop learning

Go fuck your self, I don't need to give your company "reasons" or "excuses". now i just don't want to use your product at all.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #138574 on: October 04, 2018, 07:05:21 pm »

A lot of people want structure.  If you can establish yourself as in control some people will comply.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #138575 on: October 04, 2018, 07:11:15 pm »

Sounds like pretty standard teacher chiding

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138576 on: October 04, 2018, 08:05:58 pm »

Sure ... but chide me after you've got my money. Before then, that's just aggressive marketing.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #138577 on: October 04, 2018, 08:17:50 pm »

Do you really want to buy my product?

I've just taken a look at your forum profile, and I can see I suck at marketing!

[Button: Give me money]

Before you even start to give me feedback, I will go ahead retell three of the most common excuses I give when you don't buy my product

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #138578 on: October 04, 2018, 08:28:08 pm »

Had a 10 hr delay at the airport on Tuesday, due to weather. A wtf in itself, but the complete lack of organization from either the airport or the airline was a pain in my arse.

The flight was initially s’posed to leave at four, and it was a connecting flight. Before the first flight, wife gets text saying flight delayed ‘til 5. Okay cool. First tlight lands after 90 minutes, at 2.30. Connecting flight delayed ‘til 5.30. Right. Sit down to eat (fucking $11 for a sandwich) flight delayed a further 15 minutes. Eat ludicrously expensive sandwich. Flight delayed a further 20 minutes, 6.05. It is presently ~3.30.

Go to gate. Gate changed, but is okays because new gate within spitting distance. Flight delayed 10 more minutes, wife naps. Wife awakens, flight delayed ‘til 6.30. It is 5pm.

6pm, go to gate because can’t hear dude’s announcements. Stand about for 15 minutes. Dude announces weather bad, flight delayed, not sure how long, probably 7-7.30. Screen shows 6.50 departure. People on my flight begin transferring to the two other flights heading that way. Few people apparently left on my flight.

Boarding begins. Sit down, taxi to runway aha you thought you’d get away this time but it’s me, delays!  captain says 5 flights heading to destination, we are fifth in line (DESPITE OUR INITIAL DEPARTURE TIME BEING TWO HOURS AHEAD OF THE TWO OTHER FLIGHTS NEAR US)  various announcements saying we’re taxiing over here and then over there and oh flight’s cancelled back to the gate after 2 and a half hours on the plane sorry.

Queue for flight reassignment, ask for earliest flight out because hotel reservations, also overheard previous passenger get told weather delays means they ain’t paying to put you up somewhere. Flight near us is the choice, delayed ‘til 11pm. Go get another $11 sandwich, come back, sit down. Realize no seat assignment. Go to desk flight is at different gate, far away. Go to new gate, get seat assignment, sit down in waiting ar- lol this isn’t your gate go back where you came from. Partway to slightly different gate hear PA announcement that passengers traveling to what is now presumably Atlantis go to different gate, gate which would require going through security again. No thank you, continue to new gate in old area. Arrive, note other people scoffing as we sit down announcement on screen go to gate even farther away than the previous gate. Go to gate.

All flights at airport suspended ‘cause weather, keep y’all posted. Hear two announcements demanding travelers go to other gate through security. Flights allowed to board on sorry false alarm. Flight genuinely boarding now, get on, air hostess looking chagrined, dude reading out names looking for people “plane is ready to leave, bro” says air hostess different captain from other plan announces waiting for two mechanics are headed to the plane because they need to fix another plane at the destination (ARE ALL THE MECHANICS AT THE DESTINATION DEAD FOR FU- *grumble*) will be here in 15 minutes. Various stranded passengers arrive on flight, presumably including CRUCIAL MECHANIC PEOPLE flight leaves at 00.45.

Arrive at destination ~1.30, get rental car which we are not shown how to use, nor given bizarre electronic toll shit thing for the state until we ask for it. Wife notes hotel check-in ended at 11.30, probable fees. Get to hotel at 3.05, desk person on Skype call, but helpful and understanding and no fees.

tl;dr fuck LaGuardia airport, and fuck Delta airlines.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138579 on: October 04, 2018, 08:29:56 pm »

Dammit Microsoft, Google, Firefox, all you people - stop changing your UIs!

I just got an (unwanted, of course) update to Office 365 on my work computer, and they changed the ribbon again.  It's even less consistent between apps, and the changes they made to Outlook make it look like it was done by elementary students.

Also - something in a recent update (Windows fall update maybe?) also busted my VPN settings, so I can't log in.  Fun when I work from home 40% of the time.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #138580 on: October 04, 2018, 08:30:58 pm »

On the other hand I saw whales today, and got sunburnt despite it being cloudy all day.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138581 on: October 04, 2018, 09:34:27 pm »

The death throes of a giant are particularly painful to watch.

https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/world-45743376?ocid
Jesus Christ, it's just Pidgin. It's not the fucking end of the world. It's just another language.

Y'all are actually acting REALLY racist about this too.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #138582 on: October 04, 2018, 10:01:58 pm »

The death throes of a giant are particularly painful to watch.

https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/world-45743376?ocid
Jesus Christ, it's just Pidgin. It's not the fucking end of the world. It's just another language.

Y'all are actually acting REALLY racist about this too.
Not only that, it's a language that can be easily understood if you got a good grasp on english. There should be no issue here.

What we should take away from this is that going to shady clinics (if they are even clinics, there were a few cases recently here where medics were doing butt implants with industrial silicone in their luxury apartments, resulting in dead patients), in other countries or not, to get your bum-bum touched up is a Bad Idea.

If you absolutely must have your backside tuned, go somewhere reputable.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138583 on: October 04, 2018, 10:50:33 pm »

I dunno.  Yes, its pidgin, but on the other hand, how do you make a consistent lingual experience out of pidgin, to make online articles with? (Pidgins (lingual) by their very nature, are constantly evolving and changing, and have "beyond broken" literary structures, since they are quite literally the result of disparate and often incompatible languages being bolted together into a hodge-podge.)

To present information to a wide audience, you need standardization, which is the very reason why english language majors exist to begin with, why there are syntax guides, and grammar nazis. 

Pidgins evolve so quickly, and are so self-inconsistent, that no such conventions can exist, and so to me the WTF is that there is enough standardization to make a consistent online experience.

*shrug*

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138584 on: October 04, 2018, 11:01:34 pm »

That's an incorrect assessment.

Something starts as a pidgin language, but pidgin language evolve into stable languages, such as creole language.

A pidgin differs from a creole, which is the first language of a speech community of native speakers that at one point arose from a pidgin. Unlike pidgins, creoles have fully developed vocabulary and patterned grammar. Most linguists believe that a creole develops through a process of nativization of a pidgin when children of acquired pidgin-speakers learn and use it as their native language.

you can see on the wikipedia article, that

West African Pidgin English is a West African creole (hybrid) language based on pidgin (simplified) English and local African languages.

The "name" of the language is "West African Pidgin English" due to tradition. It's not a language in some state of flux: the vocabulary mix was due to English traders trading in the region from the 17th-18th century, so as a language, it's hundreds of years old now, and the "mixing" situation that create it was back during the sailing-ships and pirate days, so it's utterly irrelevant.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 11:09:03 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 9237 9238 [9239] 9240 9241 ... 11039