Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8611 8612 [8613] 8614 8615 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14516564 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #129180 on: December 05, 2017, 01:49:09 am »

Am at the library using their somewhat-better internet, yet I feel as though I cannot remember all of the things I was supposed to be using it for... agh. Also I'm hungry as heck and I left my monies at home. Probably a good thing, since it means I have to go home for food rather than spending money unnecessarily, but why am I suddenly so hungry and only just noticing it right now?
No wonder I can't remember shit. I guess I have only eaten toast and potato gems today... whoops.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #129181 on: December 05, 2017, 02:00:42 am »

I can't seem to change my avatar. Any address I put in the box besides the one for my current avatar causes the option to be reset to "no avatar".
Check that the address you're using is to the image itself and not just a page containing it. It should end in a file extension such as .png, .gif or .jpg for it to work properly.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #129182 on: December 05, 2017, 02:09:16 am »

Am at the library using their somewhat-better internet, yet I feel as though I cannot remember all of the things I was supposed to be using it for... agh. Also I'm hungry as heck and I left my monies at home. Probably a good thing, since it means I have to go home for food rather than spending money unnecessarily, but why am I suddenly so hungry and only just noticing it right now?
No wonder I can't remember shit. I guess I have only eaten toast and potato gems today... whoops.   
It is ur hunger 4 knowledge awoked in the place of learning, satiate it via consuming all knowledge, reminiscent of a educated black hole
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129183 on: December 05, 2017, 02:19:11 am »

But I forgot my library card :'( 
Booze is Life for Yoink

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129184 on: December 05, 2017, 02:20:37 am »

Nooo!
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129185 on: December 05, 2017, 02:32:09 am »

New WTF: Doomblade's posting in here instead of updating their RTD. :P 
Booze is Life for Yoink

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #129186 on: December 05, 2017, 05:44:44 am »

I can't seem to change my avatar. Any address I put in the box besides the one for my current avatar causes the option to be reset to "no avatar".
Check that the address you're using is to the image itself and not just a page containing it. It should end in a file extension such as .png, .gif or .jpg for it to work properly.

I had this problem not long ago and it was because I was using the wrong link.
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #129187 on: December 05, 2017, 07:27:52 am »

You can't remember your library card's number and recite it on need? Pleb.

Granted, I did that every time and the near-local branch got angsty about it. So angsty that I haven't been back, 'cause they were really quite OTT in their reaction. That was years and years ago. Still remember the number XD
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129188 on: December 05, 2017, 07:40:38 am »

I was just reading the regular news on a mainstream site, and the latest is that the Journal of Feminist Geography published a study that says eating meat supports Hegemonic Patriarchy. I mean ... seriously, you don't even have to look for this stuff or make shit up, this is Poe's Law in motion.

This is the belief of a study recently published in the Journal of Feminist Geography, which argued “hegemonic masculinity implies an imperative to eat meat” and helped concrete other power hierarchies as well.

For the purpose of the research, professor Anne DeLessio-Parson spoke with vegetarians from Argentina to discover the diet itself is a political act that helps break down the gender binary.

Are you fucking shitting me? I'd like to take this movement seriously, but the ever-escalating level of batshit crazy is why I backed off in the first place. And about 2/3rds of the meals I eat are either vegan or at most have fish in them.

The main argument seems to be that by not eating meat then the traditional male social stuff such as outdoor barbecues are eliminated, and that doing so disrupts the patriarchy. It's the same argument as calling the Superbowl the "abuse bowl" which was a big thing in the 1990s. Basically labeling anything men enjoy as being patriarchal hegemony that must be dismantled.

It's a really dumb argument. Sure, eating lentil burgers instead of beef has some correlation with political views. However ... getting everyone to eat lentil burgers removes that association: e.g. if it becomes the norm that conservatives also eat lentil burgers, then their politics is not going to change one bit, lentil burgers will just become co-opted by the mainstream like everything else, and then you'll have the original lentil burger eaters hand-wringing about how in their day choosing to eat a lentil burger meant something. Vegetarianism has many ethical and health benefits, however, trying to tie every completely unrelated issue into some "gender war" narrative is a clear wtf.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:00:19 am by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129189 on: December 05, 2017, 07:46:37 am »

You can't remember your library card's number and recite it on need? Pleb.
Actually, I did manage to memorise the number before my visit (I have the number written down, the card itself was left in another state when visiting family), since I needed it to get the password for free wi-fi. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure you need to scan the actual card to borrow books.
I thought about asking whether there was some way to do so by entering the number, but by the time I decided I was finished with the internets I was far too hungry and anxious to go strike up a conversation with a library employee. ...I can still remember the phone number for the Chinese restaurant in the town I lived in as a kid, does that count?
Booze is Life for Yoink

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #129190 on: December 05, 2017, 08:51:52 am »

Having worked in a library, the number would have been fine if your card is just an old-fashioned paper one with a barcode. All a barcode is is a number that's easy for a scanner to read. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #129191 on: December 05, 2017, 09:03:42 am »

Yea, the issue with mine was that I went in every time with just the number, and the woman got tired of typing it in all the time. So she permanently attached a note to my name saying that I'm not to get books if I don't bring my card.

Went to a different library sometime afterwards, and they just laughed. Said it was ridiculous, but they couldn't remove it. So now I just don't use the library.

I prefer having my own books, anyway. But they didn't half lose a big library user - I would regularly take out the maximum amount.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #129192 on: December 05, 2017, 09:07:36 am »

Man, that's disappointing. If anyone had the guts to memorise their library number, I'd be more than willing to humour them by typing it in all the time.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #129193 on: December 05, 2017, 09:26:25 am »

At the libraries around here you just tell them your name... If the librarian is new. Otherwise they just say "Hi Milo, how are you today?" and start scanning books.

I may visit the library a lot...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #129194 on: December 05, 2017, 12:08:54 pm »

Aye, I've been making sure it had the file extension on the end. I even tried different file extensions and different websites. :/
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 8611 8612 [8613] 8614 8615 ... 11037