Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8584 8585 [8586] 8587 8588 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14518392 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #128775 on: November 16, 2017, 08:15:36 am »

I've found out only recently a good answer on why I felt somewhat off when hearing about things overseas in 1st world countries when it came to gender gaps and otherwise--apparently, my country is in the top 10 in the world regarding gender equality in the workforce and such (made me recall when one of my public school teachers poked the notion of how women are treated in the country, with a nice message ._.), and when I asked about finding up those details, they said we can search it easily online, as the topic was commented because we were discussing the importance of culture, and other social topics within family systems because of my Masters subject, Advanced Psychotherapy & Counseling, having the topic of the importances of many things. (We also noted the gaps we had though. Like poverty. :V But also the obvious note of there still being discrimination, and many things.)

Alongside that, and as a total aside, our party of 7 people (plus our Doctor-instructor) had a party because of board exam passing (one of whom was me \o/) in Psychometrics. Right before classes started, we were texted by our instructor that the pizza delivery was coming, but no drinks! I replied that we'll buy drinks (since I was with another awesome classmate, our oldest one of 52 years [I accidentally wrote 55 in the happy thread way back >_>]), and after getting a few, discovered that nearly everyone else also bought drinks because without any response from our instructor in the tiny time there was between our replies and her replies, 4 of us bought drinks for everyone, and thus had more drinks than food available. :-[ And my group was the only one who bought non-softdrinks ._.

Eep, minor details. >_<

And a final note, I've been trying to refresh my password for Blizzard (because [parts of, but also the foundational component of] STARCRAFT 2 IS FREE), and waiting a day after refreshing a password that I typed but wouldn't recognize when I use the client. I finally get around to doing it again, then... Your new password must differ from the current password. appears.
At least I can login now.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 08:26:06 am by Tiruin »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #128776 on: November 16, 2017, 09:04:21 am »

The novels present content that is often not animated in the television versions or in DVDs / Blu-Rays, the most recognizable case is the lack of a narrator in the films of Kizumonogatari, where Araragi describes Hanekawa's underwear in 5 pages in the novel, while in the film has a lot of details and time of appearance of underwear on the scene.

F-five pages? How does that even work? I'm so morbidly curious right now. On the one hand, I'm curious how you can describe underwear for five pages and not lose all but a very specific subset of underwear fetishists from your audience, and on the other hand I also don't want five pages of that burned into my brain.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #128777 on: November 16, 2017, 09:40:59 am »

I spent the last two weeks doing fuck all . . .

man I feel apathetic.  not depressed, just nothing.

gotta go to the gym.  i ate a whole cheesecake last night
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #128778 on: November 16, 2017, 09:47:00 am »

The novels present content that is often not animated in the television versions or in DVDs / Blu-Rays, the most recognizable case is the lack of a narrator in the films of Kizumonogatari, where Araragi describes Hanekawa's underwear in 5 pages in the novel, while in the film has a lot of details and time of appearance of underwear on the scene.

F-five pages? How does that even work? I'm so morbidly curious right now. On the one hand, I'm curious how you can describe underwear for five pages and not lose all but a very specific subset of underwear fetishists from your audience, and on the other hand I also don't want five pages of that burned into my brain.

Syntax is convoluted, but that reads more as "there are five different pages including descriptions of underwear", not "this character's underwear is described for five pages straight." Have no idea about the source, so I can't say one way or another for sure, but that's how I would interpret the sentence.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #128779 on: November 16, 2017, 12:26:33 pm »

Firefox has changed, and as usual I dislike it. I feel like I'm using some stupid touchscreen-keyboard hybrid device. Bloody irritating. I never understand why redesigning the way tabs looks means they have to change the position of everything on my toolbar, resulting in months of futile missclicks as I try to rearrange it to the way I instinctively expect.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 12:28:16 pm by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #128780 on: November 16, 2017, 01:59:54 pm »

I'm probably young and dumb, but I don't see any problems with the new UI (yet).

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128781 on: November 16, 2017, 05:46:00 pm »

I'm probably young and dumb, but I don't see any problems with the new UI (yet).
Breaking muscle memory is basically always bad unless there is good (read: backed by actual usability research) reason to change it.

Most modern UI design is notably more difficult to use than stuff from a decade ago: smaller hit areas, less indication of which elements are interactive, more interaction (clicks, etc.) required to perform a particular task.  There are even the occasional subtle "dumb" things in modern UI design - like who else wants to vomit at the default way MS Office 2016 draws text?  (And bonus "points" for the massively obscure way to turn that behavior off.)
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128782 on: November 16, 2017, 05:54:30 pm »

Part of that is down to designers just being able to expect more computer literacy out of the average person, and familiarity with identifying and using common UI elements, than they could 10 years ago. I think we could stand to move more toward form from function in that department in a lot of places.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #128783 on: November 16, 2017, 05:55:15 pm »

That's not really fair.  Windows and office have been the same for years.  In regards to those two products Microsoft is basically a glorified network security company with a tiny bit of low-level programming tacked on.  They have to change the interface to justify selling a new product every couple years.

Plus I mean its Microsoft.  I bet the doors at Microsoft HQ aren't labeled "push" or "pull" because they couldn't design a good door interface.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128784 on: November 16, 2017, 06:21:46 pm »

With the new Firefox I managed to get everything down to just two bars now - tabs bar and address bar (which I docked the bookmarks toolbar into).

I can in fact optionally dock most buttons, addons, and bookmarks/folders into the tabs bar too. However doing that breaks a couple of things (the new tabs button no longer floats to the right of the last open tab, it goes all the way to the right if you add anything non-standard into the tabs bar), and you can't dock the back/forwards buttons or address bar into the tabs bar.

My dream is that you can in fact have only a single bar, and get complete control of it being broken into sections that can hold arbitrary stuff. It's close, but not quite there yet.

At the very least, things have come a long way towards minimalism from the days when browsers would literally take a up a 2+ inch strip out of your 14 inch monitor.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 06:24:57 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128785 on: November 16, 2017, 06:38:16 pm »

Sounds like I'm potentially going to have some !!!Fun!!! messing around with Firefox once I get my computer back from repair.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128786 on: November 16, 2017, 07:02:13 pm »

As far as it affects me, most needed add-ons are already ported, however, the one area that's lacking is those offline video downloaders / bulk downloaders. I used DownloadThemAll and Ant Video Downloader, however those haven't been updated for a long time, and I'm having trouble finding any replacements with even the most basic ability to download a youtube video.

And I'm not being picky about "ease of use" or convenience here. None of the alternatives seem to actually work properly, e.g. one will download chunks but refuses to stitch the chunks together into a proper video, although I can see ffmpeg.exe running in a background task using 25% of my CPU, yet it's not actually spitting a video out in over 10 minutes, and that's only for a 3 minute song off youtube.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 07:13:34 pm by Reelya »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128787 on: November 16, 2017, 07:36:55 pm »

Bad hacky way around that: Go use a youtube* proxy, and then right-click the video to download it. There's so many cool features now native to Firefox - how's that for convenience and ease of use! Best update ever.

*I only tried it with a youtube proxy, but it should be a general thing. All you need to do is get around the youtube-specific right-click menu.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128788 on: November 16, 2017, 07:53:58 pm »

Part of that is down to designers just being able to expect more computer literacy out of the average person, and familiarity with identifying and using common UI elements, than they could 10 years ago. I think we could stand to move more toward form from function in that department in a lot of places.
This is exactly the problem with modern UI. Good UI, as defined back in the 80s (or earlier?) and really refined in the 90s, is a UI that requires no prior familiarity to be usable.  Assuming a particular familiarity with design elements is...questionable, to be diplomatic about it.

Well, to be more precise about all this - modern UIs are severely lacking in discoverability, which is a pretty big deal.  Sometimes you can get more efficiency with low discoverability (e.g. right-click context menus), but when you lose discoverability and efficiency, you've got no excuse.

Browsers are really bad about this incidentally: all the 'about: xxx' pages are almost inexcusable approaches to user configuration.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #128789 on: November 16, 2017, 08:24:27 pm »

As far as it affects me, most needed add-ons are already ported, however, the one area that's lacking is those offline video downloaders / bulk downloaders. I used DownloadThemAll and Ant Video Downloader, however those haven't been updated for a long time, and I'm having trouble finding any replacements with even the most basic ability to download a youtube video.

And I'm not being picky about "ease of use" or convenience here. None of the alternatives seem to actually work properly, e.g. one will download chunks but refuses to stitch the chunks together into a proper video, although I can see ffmpeg.exe running in a background task using 25% of my CPU, yet it's not actually spitting a video out in over 10 minutes, and that's only for a 3 minute song off youtube.

Try a program called Jdownloader.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 8584 8585 [8586] 8587 8588 ... 11037