Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8535 8536 [8537] 8538 8539 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14528645 times)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #128040 on: October 27, 2017, 04:56:57 pm »

I am probably a bit behind on the time when it comes to pronouns. I'd prefer just be prompted on what the individual's preference is and go from their in trying to abide by their wishes.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128041 on: October 27, 2017, 05:06:03 pm »

Does it, though? Language changes are quite common throughout history.
It's so far from that simple that I couldn't even begin to explain efficiently. But yes, in sum, yes, these social projects are always doomed.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #128042 on: October 27, 2017, 05:08:30 pm »

...so when is the new slur for catholic immigrants going to be invented?

(edited to be more relevant to the point at hand)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 05:11:01 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #128043 on: October 27, 2017, 05:09:53 pm »

You sure this is the thread you meant to post on?
I think he was just importing the joke from there. :P

Anyway, I prefer to avoid this issue by just using "sex" exclusively, most of the time. If people want to whine about that that's their problem.

Well, sex is biological, so unless you happen to know which bits they have, you could be using it wrong.

And if you do know everyone's genitalia... well, perhaps you have a problem.

Does it, though? Language changes are quite common throughout history.
It's so far from that simple that I couldn't even begin to explain efficiently. But yes, in sum, yes, these social projects are always doomed.

Which is why the status quo has been maintained since the dawn of civilisation. /the sarcasm is crushing
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128044 on: October 27, 2017, 05:10:30 pm »

I wasn't aware that that movement involved any effort to change the colloquial definitions of "women", "right", or "vote"?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128045 on: October 27, 2017, 05:11:56 pm »

Yeah I realized that about when I hit post.  Edited it to be more relevant.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128046 on: October 27, 2017, 05:13:52 pm »

That point actually isn't relevant either. It's amazing how confident people always seem to be that they know what I'm talking about more than me.

But, to treat your post on its own terms instead of as part of the ongoing narrative, I think "wetback" is currently popular there.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128047 on: October 27, 2017, 05:16:28 pm »

Do you have an example of the pendulum swinging back?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128048 on: October 27, 2017, 05:20:35 pm »

At this point, I don't think you even know what pendulum I'm talking about. You seem to think I'm talking about societal changes reversing, or something. Which does happen - see eg. the entire Islamic world today - but is much more complex and has nothing to do with anything.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128049 on: October 27, 2017, 05:22:37 pm »

Perhaps you could explain it, then.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128050 on: October 27, 2017, 05:26:21 pm »

Also language evolves a shit ton. Unless transphobia makes a huge comeback, I don't see how this could be changed back simply.
In the vast majority of the (English-speaking) world, there hasn't been a change to change back, is the thing. Of course, there's nothing transphobic about the word "gender" having a specific definition, but that's beside the point. Every so often, activists and prescriptivists of various stripes try to convince people that the way they've been using a word for decades is now wrong, and it never works.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128051 on: October 27, 2017, 05:32:14 pm »

It's actually pretty closely connected to transphobia, since those people are the mainly the ones who insist on gender and sex meaning the same thing, because that way there is no word for not being the gender you were vorn as.
That's nonsense. The word "transgender" wouldn't cease to exist. The people for whom gender and sex mean the same thing just have a different dialect.

And also, I'm not talking about English specifically.
I'm not either, this phenomenon applies to all languages, but it would have been strange to have allowed my statement about the English word 'gender' to apply to "most of the world" when most of the world doesn't use that particular word.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128052 on: October 27, 2017, 05:34:57 pm »

Yes, I'm sure there are many places where that's true. That doesn't make one dialect more "correct", however, and when people try to apply pressure to expand that bubble outward it tends to have the opposite effect.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128053 on: October 27, 2017, 05:36:30 pm »

Also language evolves a shit ton. Unless transphobia makes a huge comeback, I don't see how this could be changed back simply.
In the vast majority of the (English-speaking) world, there hasn't been a change to change back, is the thing. Of course, there's nothing transphobic about the word "gender" having a specific definition, but that's beside the point. Every so often, activists and prescriptivists of various stripes try to convince people that the way they've been using a word for decades is now wrong, and it never works.
Do you have a specific example of this happening?

Also if a definition of gender excludes transwomen from being women or transmen from being men, its transphobic.  That's kind of like saying "there's nothing racist about the definition of human having a specific definition."  Sure, there's nothing innately racist about having a definition, but some definitions would be racist none-the-less.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128054 on: October 27, 2017, 05:38:28 pm »

Yes, I'm sure there are many places where that's true. That doesn't make one dialect more "correct", however, and when people try to apply pressure to expand that bubble outward it tends to have the opposite effect.

Could you explain the bolded part, please? It doesn't make sense.

Pages: 1 ... 8535 8536 [8537] 8538 8539 ... 11037