Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8494 8495 [8496] 8497 8498 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14543823 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #127425 on: October 08, 2017, 12:04:25 am »

rip
F

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127426 on: October 08, 2017, 12:26:49 am »

You know, with some stats analysis we could probably work out who the hell that was. Put all their statements into a markov chain and then compare the frequency of 1,2 and 3 word segments against all banned posters :) that would be extremely likely to give a match if they are indeed a banned person. (e.g. the giveaway would be if one specific banned user's data gave an unexpected spike in matches compared to everyone else).

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #127427 on: October 08, 2017, 12:40:25 am »

Catmeat would be my guess.

Superguess.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #127428 on: October 08, 2017, 01:01:29 am »

Err, Reelya? That smiley and that wording is a bit :-\, at least when I read it. It comes off as concerning.

Also, I hope Toady is doing okay :O

But yeah, different topic guys. :P More surprises please! Keep the theme of the thread on topic.

[...]
In other news, today I haggled by accident. I was buying a handmade candle base from a glassmaker's studio. He looked over it, mumbling something about a price tag, and so I helpfully read out the price sign that was on the shelf, except I didn't notice it was for another product. He just said that he usually sells it for more, but agreed and sold the base for like a third cheaper than actually listed. Here in modern Finland haggling is very rare and prices are generally rigid, but apparently smaller shops like that one still do it.
I wonder how these things are in other places o_O Here, we've the 'suki', which basically has the theme of 'returning customer? Lower prices or give better deals', which commonly encourages mutual trust between the seller and the buyer as often as it is followed up.
...Haggling, however, is pretty common and is moreso out of niceness in many areas (other than the usual haggling :P)

Also total aside, but I should get back into reading up Future of the Fortress. Really love how DF filled a niche in my roguelike seeking wants. And I really wonder how outdated I am since the last patch I played thoroughly in memory was when...stuff in my first post still existed.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 01:08:44 am by Tiruin »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127429 on: October 08, 2017, 01:06:04 am »

Huh? What do you mean by wording exactly, and what do you find concerning?

All I was saying was that if people suspected someone of being a ban-dodger then statistics would likely revaeal their previous identity. Things like word order and word frequency. People would have a hard time hiding their patterns of word usage.

It's just a thought experiment, however it would be do-able if anyone cared enough.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 01:14:51 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127430 on: October 08, 2017, 01:12:40 am »

Sure they could, they are just very VERY unlikely to do them.

(Purposefully inducing dissociative fugue would do nicely, but again, literally becoming somebody else is not something most people would ever consider.)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127431 on: October 08, 2017, 01:17:30 am »

Nah, even then ... things like individual word frequency, and frequency of 2 and 3 word fragments would still be highly trackable even if people purposely changed their language.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 01:21:43 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127432 on: October 08, 2017, 01:18:41 am »

No, dissociative fugue results in a completely different, temporary personality.  No "pretending" involved. The honestly believe they are somebody else who cant remember anything.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127433 on: October 08, 2017, 01:25:33 am »

Nope. There will still be plenty of statistical stuff that's going to shine through that. Your "other" personality doesn't know words you don't. And they definitely aren't going to suddenly start using properly formed grammatical constructs that you don't use. I'm willing to bet that if you don't use the Oxford comma in writing, then your "fugue state" self won't either. Why would they know it exists? Your fugue self is merely reconstructing their own language from bits and pieces of the language as you understand it. it won't be hard to tell them from a stranger's writing. Things like sentence fragments, little punctuation details will all be giveaways*.

* things like this, too. I don't hypenate give-aways, but some people hypenate it, and others write it as two words with a space. I'll bet you that enough little details like that would stay consistent even in a fugue state.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 01:47:15 am by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127434 on: October 08, 2017, 03:23:47 am »

Sorry for kicking off a derail there, 'twas not my intention at all. Whoops. Note to self: communism is a volatile topic.

Normally I would respond to the anti-vegan comments that preceded it, but I'd rather not dig up another argument immediately after one that wound up requiring the Toad's intervention... also wtf, I can't even mention trying to eat cruelty-free without people trying to insult my beliefs? Fuckin' omni's, your meat-guilt is showing. :P

Edit: also RIP Avarice. This incarnation of you lasted quite long, but alas.
It shall go down in history as the account that revealed my ridiculous True Name to the denizens of Bay12, thus giving their magic more power over me or however that shit works.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 03:26:35 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127435 on: October 08, 2017, 03:27:58 am »

Normally I would respond to the anti-vegan comments that preceded it, but I'd rather not dig up another argument immediately after one that wound up requiring the Toad's intervention... also wtf, I can't even mention trying to eat cruelty-free without people trying to insult my beliefs? Fuckin' omni's, your meat-guilt is showing. :P

In general, apophasis is more effective when you don't immediately say the thing you said by not saying.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127436 on: October 08, 2017, 03:32:47 am »

End of the day vegan/carnivore/omnivore is predominately a lifestyle choice. You don't want to eat meat? Well thats more meat for me then.

Politics in general is a volatile topic. As is the pacific ring of fire, but a whole different reason.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127437 on: October 08, 2017, 03:47:28 am »

In general, apophasis is more effective when you don't immediately say the thing you said by not saying.
Uhh... I didn't, though? ???

End of the day vegan/carnivore/omnivore is predominately a lifestyle choice. You don't want to eat meat? Well thats more meat for me then.

Politics in general is a volatile topic. As is the pacific ring of fire, but a whole different reason.
Well, a lifestyle choice that affects billions of lives other than yours. ¯\_(ツ)_/ ¯
But let's not discuss this further. We've had enough arguing in this thread lately. Let me think of a new wtf... um... oh, I had a hungover brain fart earlier and checked the mail. ON A SUNDAY! Omg.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127438 on: October 08, 2017, 03:56:10 am »

That's actually a good point however. Price and demand of meat is elastic, so if some people don't buy meat, the price drops and other people buy more. So the amount of animals saved by each vegan forgoing meat is a lot less than the face value of it.

Also there's evidence that vegans are less healthy than either vegetarians or pescatarians. So by becoming a vegan you reduce your overall health. But ... the red-meat-eaters also reduce their health because now they're consuming more of the cheaper meat. Meaning they're now consuming too much.

So veganism reduces the overall health of the entire human race.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #127439 on: October 08, 2017, 04:09:16 am »

Read an article last week about a dutch guy who makes not only his dog, but also his cat eat vegan. I had a strong urge to track the guy down and facepunch him.
It's not healthy for dogs already, although they are known to survive on a vegan diet.
But for a full carnivore like a cat? That's just plain animal abuse. (Although the article did say the cat could go outside and caught mice and birds, so I guess it's self-compensating.)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 8494 8495 [8496] 8497 8498 ... 11037