Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8488 8489 [8490] 8491 8492 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14544688 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #127335 on: October 05, 2017, 09:23:42 pm »

I swear, it's getting hard to tell people with the photobucket avatars apart.

At any rate, that sounds rather unpleasant, Truean.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #127336 on: October 05, 2017, 09:33:17 pm »

You don't know who it is immediately from the posting style?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #127337 on: October 06, 2017, 03:04:51 am »

I looked at the source code of a web page for a career coaching company, and while the rest of the code was somewhat clumsy but acceptable, they had typed over 17000 characters on just one line. Why would anyone ever do that?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #127338 on: October 06, 2017, 03:08:50 am »

Intentional obfuscation?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127339 on: October 06, 2017, 03:10:09 am »

Possible:

Unix style line endings, being opened on a windows box?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #127340 on: October 06, 2017, 03:12:58 am »

i dont mean to sound ignorant here, but why look at source code for a site?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127341 on: October 06, 2017, 03:18:54 am »

Are you kidding??

There is all kinds of neat stuff you can learn about a website's behavior and function by looking at the source code.

The problem these days, is that most of the code that "does stuff" is done in obfuscated code, running from a remotely called .js, which has call convention restrictions on the hosting server to keep you from just downloading and examining the .js file.

This is because "corporations" are involved, usually. (the people who are so horribly unoriginal, that they fear any novel thing their employees create will be instantly copied by competitors, and so intentionally break the open internet to prevent this in a wide assortment of ways, these being one of them.)

Still, knowing if your favorite news aggregator is using your browser as a honeypot to mine bitcoins behind your back is something that you will only find out by looking at the site's source code.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127342 on: October 06, 2017, 03:44:30 am »

I looked at the source code of a web page for a career coaching company, and while the rest of the code was somewhat clumsy but acceptable, they had typed over 17000 characters on just one line. Why would anyone ever do that?

Huh? Because line breaks count as characters for bandwidth purposes. It's good practice for your production web code to be like that. Plus it's removed not just line breaks, but all indentation/spaces/tabs and renamed all variables with shorter names. This can cut a big chunk off a large file. That line was 17K characters. Without clever packing, you could be looking at another 20-30K each time you load that webpage. That adds up when you consider all the page loads in the world. Also unless that page loads literally instantly, it's also a positive for user experience and site efficiency.

What's actually sloppy as hell is lazy companies that don't optimize their bandwidth like that. Lazy and verbose wordage / punctuation has carried over from the compiled languages into the web languages. People haven't adapted or adopted tools to optimize things, because they decided that the net costs to them aren't worth fixing it. However, the costs of not optimizing are externalized to your customers and the entire network. This is a "crisis of the commons" issue.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 04:21:07 am by Reelya »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #127343 on: October 06, 2017, 03:44:52 am »

the people who are so horribly unoriginal, that they fear any novel thing their employees create will be instantly copied by competitors

It's almost as though that actually happens all the damn time.

Still, knowing if your favorite news aggregator is using your browser as a honeypot to mine bitcoins behind your back is something that you will only find out by looking at the site's source code.

Or when your browser consistently flatlines one of your CPU cores as soon as you open the aggregator ;)

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127344 on: October 06, 2017, 04:01:23 am »

Sadly, many web pages flatline your CPU the instant they open anyway, because of all the 3rd party content trying to gagglefuck each other all at once anyway-- so, having high CPU use with the browser open is not really a good indicator of anything except that the site maker is an asshole. *shrug*

To find out exactly HOW they are being an asshole still requires you to look at the source code.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #127345 on: October 06, 2017, 04:20:48 am »

Just use a good ad blocker. Takes care of that problem. Sadly since I started using a tablet the internet looks much scummier (mobile chrome doesn't support addons).

It is to the point where I am considering other browsers, but chrome does everything else exactly the way I like it. A solid ad blocker is the only missing feature.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #127346 on: October 06, 2017, 04:24:35 am »

If you're rooted, you can get a global adblocker for android.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127347 on: October 06, 2017, 06:16:01 am »

Had a dejavu moment while playing overwatch.  Was playing mercy following a lone soldier76 up the downhill/uphill curve place.  It just hit like that.

Also I may have just had my first legitimate nightmare dream thing in ages.  Well, it is mindfuck tier and I can remember it when it shocked me awake anyways.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #127348 on: October 06, 2017, 06:33:31 am »

Old WTF but since we’re talking nightmares, one time I woke up breathing heavily from a nightmare in which a portrait of Alexander Hamilton threatened to kill me and then mince me up and put me in tin cans.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127349 on: October 06, 2017, 07:00:16 am »

Cinder, that gave me the stupidest mental picture....

Pages: 1 ... 8488 8489 [8490] 8491 8492 ... 11037