Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8425 8426 [8427] 8428 8429 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14526861 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #126390 on: September 04, 2017, 12:27:09 am »

Oh, and Cracked is entertaining but that's all it is. Entertainment. What you read there is not factual information.
Oh, now I'm conflicted?
The one reason I mentioned what I mentioned is because I saw books being linked as sources within the humor...more so because I was wondering on specific ideas regarding ancient times, then this article popped up under Cracked.com, so I decided to check it out ._.
Cross-referencing what was said there, and making my own searches in e/books and otherwise, the info is right, just with the right addition of humor, and the comments section were also just as humorous [...like one of the top ones referencing History Channel and aliens \o/]

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 01:45:26 am by Tiruin »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #126391 on: September 04, 2017, 01:38:02 am »

Cracked is a bad source, I agree with MSH. Lots of BS, lots of biases.  Sometimes you find gold in the mud, however. There was an article receently that touched a nerve
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126392 on: September 04, 2017, 02:11:08 am »

You know how the cosmological horizon is constantly approaching?
It isn't. It's receding.
See Fig.1 here:
https://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0310808
I'm a bit confused by that, but it seems that the paper doesn't back you up.

Most observationally viable cosmological models have event horizons and in the ΛCDM model of Fig. 1, galaxies with redshift z ~1.8 are currently crossing our event horizon. These are the most distant objects from which we will ever be able to receive information about the present day.

I don't know whether this means that it's possible to go past the point where the cosmological event horizon will someday be, and thus cut yourself off whence you came. But things do disappear past the cosmological horizon.

...which isn't actually what you claimed. You claimed that the cosmological horizon is receding. I'm just confused now.
Let's take it to the Science Thread - I might miss your responses in here:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164048.msg7555418#new

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #126393 on: September 04, 2017, 06:55:30 am »

Last night, family asks, "hey, think you could drop a transmission for me?" I go, to more bluntly paraphrase, "hell if I know, would have to go look, try." Cause I had fuck all knowledge or experience with whatever was involved.

Morning comes. Go look. Look up how-to, what the hell the transmission actually is (didn't remember, I don't work with engines enough to retain what the blazes anything is except the battery and various liquid input holes), what's needed and how long it'd probably take, risks, etc.

Look at a few different step by steps. Stare for a while. Under two hour job if you know what you're doing and are in relatively good shape -- neither describes me, the latter emphatically doesn't describe said family, in the "doctor has told you to not fucking do this shit repeatedly" sense, and the former conditionally due to senility. Takes tools we don't seem to have (have jack! Need transmission jack or adapter, which if we do I can't find and is needed to reduce chance of maiming and/or critical repair failure). Heavily recommends a second person there that would be able to do more than call an ambulance and/or have a heart attack/stroke and die if something went wrong. Happens to be the one of the more common operations that ends up ruining a vehicle and/or its transmission if you screw up any one of two or three different steps.

Like. Good bloody goddamn hell. A) No. Get someone here that has at least somewhat more of an idea of what they're doing and I'll help even if it's fuckstupid o'clock during the day (I.e. any point after about six am and before around 7 pm, at the moment). B) Please stop trying to do shit that runs an unnecessarily high chance of wrecking things, just because you're too fucking impatient to wait a few days. C) For the nth goddamn time please stop trying to get yourself and/or me maimed and/or killed by trying to get things done neither of us have any business trying to do.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126394 on: September 04, 2017, 07:10:42 am »

Just caught myself cheating on the book I'm currently reading. :-\
I've been trying to stick to reading one book at a time to better focus and absorb information, but the juicy new Irvine Welsh novel I bought a while back was sitting there, right next to my laptop... I told myself I would just have a quick glance and read the first four pages, and by some miracle I did manage to stop there, but it was a near thing. I could easily have gone into a reading frenzy and been there for hours, hunched at my desk, reading furtively whilst trying not to catch sight of Rising from the corner of my eye.

Perhaps it would be wise to relocate my to-read pile from such a convenient location... or, at least, place my current book closer.     
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #126395 on: September 04, 2017, 08:09:19 am »

Please don't get yourself locked in jail, Hans.

Especially not after writing indicative things like that on the internet! :P
What do you mean? This is all hypothetical of course, I'm sure Hans would never even consider hurting someone, and even if he did hypothetically hurt this alleged person, there were certainly extenuating circumstances that explain everything.
As a follow-up, I bit my tongue for a few hours and went home early.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #126396 on: September 04, 2017, 08:14:11 am »

Biting your tongue for a few hours sounds extremely painful

My twisted mind comes up with a mental image of Hans, blood dripping from his shredded tongue, and leaking from his mouth, approaching his boss asking: "Boss I think i've come down with a mild case of Ebola, can I go home early?"

EDIT: also, someone linked me this video today. It suits Hanslanda's avatar, and it's a decent wtf.

https://streamable.com/9evsw

WTF no opposable thumb but look at that grip and dexterity
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 08:21:31 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #126397 on: September 04, 2017, 10:13:57 am »

Pandas make the best Nazis. We're so cute you almost forget we're murdering millions.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #126398 on: September 04, 2017, 03:01:13 pm »

Sometimes I go into a brief shock at the capabilities of the modern world. The most recent such incident occurred a few minutes ago when I came across the phrase "candidate for resurrection" used in an entirely practical context.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126399 on: September 04, 2017, 03:15:09 pm »

Animal species gene engineering or individual human necromancy?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #126400 on: September 04, 2017, 03:20:26 pm »

The former. I wound up reading about de-extictioning.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126401 on: September 04, 2017, 03:28:29 pm »

Hells yeah, we humans be WIZARDS now. Fucking magic.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126402 on: September 04, 2017, 03:42:47 pm »

Necromancers, even.  It was inevitable.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #126403 on: September 04, 2017, 04:16:06 pm »

Pandas make the best Nazis. We're so cute you almost forget we're murdering millions.

I just now realized your avatar is a bloody nazi panda.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126404 on: September 04, 2017, 04:33:48 pm »

Any sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from magic.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."
Pages: 1 ... 8425 8426 [8427] 8428 8429 ... 11037