Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8424 8425 [8426] 8427 8428 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14526853 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #126375 on: September 03, 2017, 02:55:12 pm »

Please don't get yourself locked in jail, Hans.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #126376 on: September 03, 2017, 02:56:20 pm »

I work with a soulless shitbag who is hugely negative, actively does a bad job, and is chronically late. He is currently complaining that the manager does too good a job and works too hard. Not making this up. Saying he just wants to leave four hours early and much more.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #126377 on: September 03, 2017, 03:02:41 pm »

Ive had days when I dont want to be at work ...

Its work ethic.  he has none.  I assume the manager would know that?
So when he starts interfering with work or upsets some coworkers or something pull your boss aside at the end of the shift and tell them that he's hurting your own morale (or whomever's) and then ask them to maybe speak with him.

usually its anonymous if you want it that way, so...
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #126378 on: September 03, 2017, 03:11:56 pm »

Especially not after writing indicative things like that on the internet! :P
Love, scriver~

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #126379 on: September 03, 2017, 07:35:24 pm »

Oh I see what you're saying. Spoiler: If someone falls into a black hole they die horribly.
Not if the black hole is big enough, but large enough black holes might not exist, so for all practical purposes you're probably correct.
iirc I read something a while ago about how it depends on whose perspective you look at. From the perspective of viewing someone falling into a black hole, they approach the event horizon and never actually reach it. Assuming that they aren't horribly killed quickly by the disc of high-velocity plasma around the black hole, you'll see them very slowly approach a horrible death.

From the perspective of someone falling into a black hole, they go past the event horizon just fine and then die horribly once the tidal forces are too strong for their body to stay together.
That sounds about right - assuming that the tidal forces don't kill you before you reach the event horizon.
But the interesting thing is that according to some interpretations different things happen in different perspectives but they both happen.
...that sounds like the ladder paradox, at least superficially.
PPE: What would falling into a black hole look like, though? Wouldn't the universe around you get brighter and brighter as it appeared to travel faster in time relative to you until it reached a maximum (at which point it might vaporize you because of the massive amount of energy hitting you) at the event horizon before suddenly going dark? After that, I don't have the physics knowledge to make a good guess (and there's a singularity anyway).
Well. Off the top of my head, I know a few things about this scenario. First, the light would be strongly blueshifted. This is because of time dilation. Second, the light visible as you fall into a black hole would likely be intense, but not infinite (since there is a finite number of photons received by the black hole over its lifetime). Third, as far as I know, the inside of a black hole is not black - so you would not instantaneously go from "intense" to "pitch-black".

After a bit of research, it seems that from the observer's perspective, the unfortunate explorer appears to asymptotically approach the event horizon, but from the explorer's perspective, they see the universe passing by quickly but not infinitely quickly as they approach the event horizon. And from inside the black hole, it is nearly impossible to determine the outside world from the photons received.

As B sees things: A falls toward the event horizon, photons from A take longer and longer to climb out of the "gravtiational well" leading to the apparent slowing down of A's clock as seen by B, and when A is at the horizon, any photon emitted by A's clock takes (formally) an infinite time to get out to B. Imagine that each person's clock emits one photon for each tick of the clock, to make it easy to think about. Thus, A appears to freeze, as seen by B, just as you say. However, A has crossed the event horizon! It is only an illusion (literally an "optical" illusion) that makes B think A never crosses the horizon.

As A sees things: A falls, and crosses the horizon (in perhaps a very short time). A sees B's clock emitting photons, but A is rushing away from B, and so never gets to collect more than a finite number of those photons before crossing the event horizon. (If you wish, you can think of this as due to a cancellation of the gravitational time dilation by a doppler effect --- due to the motion of A away from B). After crossing the event horizon, the photons coming in from above are not easily sorted out by origin, so A cannot figure out how B's clock continued to tick.

A finite number of photons were emitted by A before A crossed the horizon, and a finite number of photons were emitted by B (and collected by A) before A crossed the horizon. (Source)

EDIT: With regards to black holes, aren't they kind of funky in terms of entering them?

First off, once past the event horizon, space is so warped that every direction leads towards the singularity (so even if you could, theoretically, go faster than light, you'd be unable to escape without the ability to un-warp space)
That sounds right, though that is considerably funky. Do you have a source on that?
Second, from what I've been told, space=time thanks to black holes basically telling common, everyday physics to fuck themselves.
Space equals time? That is even more funky. I found a source for this one, and it is cool.
And third, again from what I've been told, it's not technically possible to actually enter the event horizon. The gravity is so strong that time dilates more and more and more. To an outside observer, you start to slow down, and stop right outside the horizon, but to you everything is fine, then suddenly there's a massive explosion as the black hole evaporates, and suddenly you're trillions of years in the future.
This is incorrect. That's only from the outside observer's perspective - if you can survive the radiation and tidal forces, you can observe yourself entering a black hole. source

PPE: What would falling into a black hole look like, though? Wouldn't the universe around you get brighter and brighter as it appeared to travel faster in time relative to you until it reached a maximum (at which point it might vaporize you because of the massive amount of energy hitting you) at the event horizon before suddenly going dark? After that, I don't have the physics knowledge to make a good guess (and there's a singularity anyway).
Actually, since nothing can exit the event horizon, wouldn't it rip your atoms to shreds by dint of Proton A being past the horizon and no longer being able to be next to Neutron B, since that's still outside the horizon?

If nothing else it would cause some electron stripping, which would make everything inside very much on fire.
I'm no expert, but I have a gut feeling that since spacetime "tilts" (i.e., time and space change direction; see here) gradually as you approach the event horizon, this probably won't completely disrupt all matter passing through. That's hardly a rigorous proof though, so if you have more information, I'd love to hear more.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126380 on: September 03, 2017, 08:24:48 pm »

These threads inevitably collapse into black hole discussion (there's a joke about giant stars to be made here somewhere

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #126381 on: September 03, 2017, 09:28:35 pm »

Especially not after writing indicative things like that on the internet! :P
What do you mean? This is all hypothetical of course, I'm sure Hans would never even consider hurting someone, and even if he did hypothetically hurt this alleged person, there were certainly extenuating circumstances that explain everything.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126382 on: September 03, 2017, 09:52:05 pm »

I lost at least three Instagram followers! And at least one of them was an actual person, as opposed to some unknown account just following me out of the blue, presumably in the hopes of receiving a follow in return. Unacceptable! Now I shall have to un-follow a bunch of people to repair the disparity between my followers and followed accounts.

Life is hard. :c   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #126383 on: September 03, 2017, 10:00:24 pm »

Started playing Fire Emblem: Heroes again after a long abscence.

Summoned from the Brave Heroes pool and somehow got two 5 star Brave Lyndis(es?).

EDIT: Note that players now get 1 free summon. I picked Lyndis as my free summon for each summoning pool.

That gives me three immensely powerful horse archers.

OUR ARRROWS WILL BLOT OUT THE SUN!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 10:45:31 pm by AzyWng »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126384 on: September 03, 2017, 10:02:22 pm »

You lucky bastard.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #126385 on: September 03, 2017, 10:10:37 pm »

I just learned that in order for folks in America in college to even go to their local university counselors, they require parental consent for it.

...We don't need that here. Even in personal situations the choice is given; informed consent. .-.;

* Tiruin scribbles a note to self, emphasize 'I'm unsure how it is there' in adjustment to context.

On another note, I stumbled upon Cracked.com and liked what I read--noticing that I could sift between which articles (all have the theme of humor/satire) are well written, and when some are written while shaving off applicability of context to humor.
But the comments are really nice for many I've visited! That's nice to see.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 10:13:56 pm by Tiruin »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #126386 on: September 03, 2017, 10:19:20 pm »

You've been misinformed. Any accredited counseling service functions under the HIPPA medical privacy laws, once you hit age 18 it's extremely illegal for them to even tell your parents if they've seen you or not, much less demand parental consent. College students generally are 18 or older, though I suppose it's possible they have parental consent forms for edge cases.

Oh, and Cracked is entertaining but that's all it is. Entertainment. What you read there is not factual information.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126387 on: September 03, 2017, 10:23:22 pm »

They have occasional surprisingly good articles. like that one time they went to Kurdistan.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #126388 on: September 03, 2017, 11:04:52 pm »

I just noticed a sudden explosion of a hashtag of disapproving owls, or whatever it is called, on twitter.
What the fudge is up with that?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #126389 on: September 03, 2017, 11:24:32 pm »

You know how the cosmological horizon is constantly approaching?
It isn't. It's receding.
See Fig.1 here:
https://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0310808
I'm a bit confused by that, but it seems that the paper doesn't back you up.

Most observationally viable cosmological models have event horizons and in the ΛCDM model of Fig. 1, galaxies with redshift z ~1.8 are currently crossing our event horizon. These are the most distant objects from which we will ever be able to receive information about the present day.

I don't know whether this means that it's possible to go past the point where the cosmological event horizon will someday be, and thus cut yourself off whence you came. But things do disappear past the cosmological horizon.

...which isn't actually what you claimed. You claimed that the cosmological horizon is receding. I'm just confused now.

These threads inevitably collapse into black hole discussion (there's a joke about giant stars to be made here somewhere
Things that made me go "WTF" today: black holes, cosmological event horizons, and the fact that my entire life only exists within an abstraction which in turn exists within the alien world of fundamental physics.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 11:28:56 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 8424 8425 [8426] 8427 8428 ... 11037