Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8380 8381 [8382] 8383 8384 ... 11042

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14579952 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #125715 on: August 22, 2017, 08:57:52 am »

One person in an analysis of Wrestling came up with an interesting concept.

He suggested that modern audience's tastes have chanced and that people are more ensemble oriented instead of wanting a singular hero.

Or rather that people prefer that every character in a cast shine, rather than for them to be set pieces for one person to be the big dang hero.

I wonder how true that is.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125716 on: August 22, 2017, 11:16:55 am »

It worked for Transformers and GI Joe.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #125717 on: August 22, 2017, 12:47:30 pm »

Being forced to watch TV in the breakroom (my job has a lot of people who might object to me turning it off, plus I can never find the damn remote...), has reminded me how awful a lot of TV is.  On many different levels.  Apparently even in 15 minute doses I still get concentrated awfulness a good third of the time.

I've been reminded how incredibly judgemental and needlessly gruesome crime shows are.  Hearing people talking about rape, torture, betrayal... not my idea of a break.  Also apparently the Law and Order attorneys are incredibly out for blood, especially this one tall white woman (don't know her name, 15 minute doses remember).  Multiple times I've seen them finish a trial and then immediately turn on their own witness; in one case a murderer's attorney held on to knowledge that he was a killer for 15 years until his death, then immediately went clean to clear this other guy's name.  The whole time the other side's attorneys were trying to argue that she was in breach of client-attorney confidentiality.  Then after the trial was over, the main characters immediately turn on her and try to convict her for concealing evidence.  That one was funny because partway through the trial one of them turned to the other and was like "I'm not sure we should be doing this."  I've also seen the aforementioned female main character do some really needlessly brutal questioning sections; in one case she did an interview of an expert witness on mental illness who wrote a book about being institutionalized.  And not only did she publicly question him about whether he had a mental illness and what had happened in the institution, she attempted to convince him that a horrible life experience that he very much didn't like and didn't consent to (electroshock therapy) was a good thing because he didn't have thoughts of suicide any more, even tho he lost a large chunk of his memories.  Double whammy of public humiliation and extreme condescension.  That one was a 30 minute dose, so I can tell you confidently that that episode was a giant author tract about how institutionalizing the mentally ill is good, even tho actual professionals use that as a last resort.

I also learned that apparently football announcers have weird views on gender.  I've only seen less than an hour of football footage total in my time here, and from what I remember in my childhood announcers almost always talk about the game and not much else, so I shouldn't really be able to say that.  But I can.  The first time it was two announcers kind of in shock, discussing why a football player had cried on the field after an injury and how embarrassing this was for him.  They put forward multiple explanations, like maybe it was just a physical response to the pain.  Like holy shit guys, boys cry, its not that complicated.  Second time was them using the word "hystrionics", which is just kind of.  Old fashioned.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #125718 on: August 22, 2017, 12:50:14 pm »

He suggested that modern audience's tastes have chanced and that people are more ensemble oriented instead of wanting a singular hero.

Or rather that people prefer that every character in a cast shine, rather than for them to be set pieces for one person to be the big dang hero.

Who was the person, out of curiousity?

I also assume you mean pro-wrestling, of the sports entertainment variety?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125719 on: August 22, 2017, 12:56:39 pm »

I've been reminded how incredibly judgemental and needlessly gruesome crime shows are.  Hearing people talking about rape, torture, betrayal... not my idea of a break.

Good thing this has boobs and incredibly contrived politics, or it would be a horrific celebration of everything our society stands against!
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125720 on: August 22, 2017, 01:35:19 pm »

Who was the person, out of curiousity?

I also assume you mean pro-wrestling, of the sports entertainment variety?

Pro-Wrestling Sports Entertainment yes.

LittleKuriboh, I'll even (unlike what I usually do) link the video. Which I didn't originally because that was only one smart part of the overall analysis.

LittleKuriboh: The Roman Reigns Problem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rttAxsI4ImY

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #125721 on: August 22, 2017, 01:37:52 pm »

I've been reminded how incredibly judgemental and needlessly gruesome crime shows are.  Hearing people talking about rape, torture, betrayal... not my idea of a break.

Good thing this has boobs and incredibly contrived politics, or it would be a horrific celebration of everything our society stands against!
I don't like that show at all.

Granted, partially because I read the books in middle school.  And the TV people are going to get the ending before the book people.  Or at least an ending, the show went off the rails in some ways a couple seasons back.  Is what I heard from friends.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125722 on: August 22, 2017, 01:45:21 pm »

I don't like that show at all.

Granted, partially because I read the books in middle school.  And the TV people are going to get the ending before the book people.  Or at least an ending, the show went off the rails in some ways a couple seasons back.  Is what I heard from friends.

Yeah fair enough. In that case I agree with you, and GoT is just the prime example to me.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #125723 on: August 22, 2017, 02:50:03 pm »

Chop
Get a remote app for your smartphone (assuming you have one) and fuck with the people watching it. I do it to every tv that I see.
You know those people who leave curtains open at night and you can clearly see what they are watching. I like to mess with them.
Moral of the story is don't let people sit in your garden bushes while playing with giggling to themselves
××××××××××××××××××

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125724 on: August 22, 2017, 07:29:18 pm »

Chop
Get a remote app for your smartphone (assuming you have one) and fuck with the people watching it. I do it to every tv that I see.
You know those people who leave curtains open at night and you can clearly see what they are watching. I like to mess with them.
Moral of the story is don't let people sit in your garden bushes while playing with giggling to themselves
Oh my God, this is an amazing idea

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #125725 on: August 22, 2017, 07:34:26 pm »

Im going to actually try at my gym tomorrow.

Imagine all those hippies on their treadmills and ellipticals, the wall mounted tvs ...  Imagine ones in hospitals or ones for sitting at like social security or ones for DMV.

Please dont ruin this.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125726 on: August 22, 2017, 07:53:54 pm »

...Initially I'm horrified, but I'm also amazed that people *do* that.  Leaving their blinds open, I mean.

Even though I see that regularly.  There's a *super* fancy apartment complex near me, much better than mine, literally up on a hill.  And it's sorta remarkable how many of the windows are constantly uncovered, as I go for my walks (I love hills, also the nearby church).

I don't plan to mess with them regularly.  But... it might actually be fun to screw with one person's tv... just once.  Just to see that it's possible.

Even close acquaintances are often horrified when I see a situation and instinctively comment on how it could be exploited for evil.  Even when they know I worked in security for years.  They act like I'm out to exploit, when I'm simply instinctively seeking awareness of vulnerabilities.

I probably won't actually do it.  But hey, I got fired- maybe just once, harmlessly.  Just to see.  Maybe their security will improve.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #125727 on: August 22, 2017, 07:57:55 pm »

No, people tend to disapprove of impromptu life lessons

I admit I enjoy the idea of exhibitionism though.  If I had nice things and/or lived in a better neighborhood I might show off more
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #125728 on: August 22, 2017, 08:27:55 pm »

Toaster why.

After years of using that thing, today I noticed how nonsensical it is. About 1/10th up its settings will toast bread, most toaster pastries, bagels... just about everything you have interest in toasting that will fit in a toaster. 2/10ths up will toast basically everything that doesn't. Anything over that leaves whatever you put in it a variable amount of charcoal, with only "mostly" burnt black stopping around 3/10ths and everything else after that leaving ash and hardened burnt whatever it was.

Which is 7/10ths of its setting range. A bit over 2/3rds of the appliance's capability is functionally useless, because if you use it what comes out isn't edible unless you're very desperate, don't buy into the medical findings that char can increase the risk of cancer, and can actually stand the taste of, say, half-charcoal bread.

And, like. Today it finally hit me. Why even build something like that? You have a toaster you could conceivably liquefy metal in. This is house-fire level overkill* for a kitchen appliance. Exactly what principle of device engineering lead to this being considered a good idea?

* Incidentally, what brought about me noticing was someone else in the house momentarily losing their mind and putting it about 2/3rds the way up. The fire alarms went off. Dunno if it actually caught fire 'cause I was in a different room, and for some ungodly reason the person it was cooked for decided to scrape like... half the piece of toast away and eat the still half-blackened remains... but. Yeah.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #125729 on: August 22, 2017, 08:31:39 pm »

See black is alright, it's when it gets that shiny that you realize all you've done is turned your previously untoasted material into coal.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 8380 8381 [8382] 8383 8384 ... 11042