Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8275 8276 [8277] 8278 8279 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14543711 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #124140 on: July 09, 2017, 11:47:57 am »

Eating silver dust will give you Argyria, basically turning you into a smurf. Just a single dose for turning your spit into water in D&D would probably not do that though. Argyria only develops from excessive and chronic intake of silver compounds. It's not considered harmful, it just turns you into a silvery blue smurf (and make people around you freak out and think the zombie apocalypse has started).

EDIT: note the picture in the wiki page article. That guy's not dead, he's just blue.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argyria

EDIT2: hah, if it wasn't for the risk of blindness (when the pigment settles in your eye's lens), I'd be tempted to start a silver powder treatment, just to see people run away in panic from my new blue zombie look.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 11:56:06 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124141 on: July 09, 2017, 11:54:08 am »

Yes it is. Drinking nanoparticulate silver is also, pretty hardcore-- just in a different way.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27518167

Now, I doubt that the kind of powder being mentioned here is in any way nanoparticulate in nature--- (if it was, the resulting holy water would be a disgusting brown color) so that is probably not an issue.

I would however, point out that DnD's use of silver in this capacity is linked to magical practices and beliefs about silver being a purifying metal.
http://www.witchipedia.com/mineral:silver

Thus, the addition of the silver is more to purify the water, so that it can better be a vessel for the positive energy imbued into it by the ritual performed by the priest-- the immense amount of silver required to make a vial of holy water, being linked to the limited cleansing property of the silver itself-- you need a lot to really clean that water what good before it becomes suitable.  That's my understanding anyway.

Much like really powerful wizards can gain the ability to perform spells without material components, I would say high power clerics should be able to perform similar feats, and create holy water without first cleansing the medium in this fashion, through the power of their immense faith, and direct connection with their deity. In such a case, a high power cleric declaring their URINE to be HOLY WATER should be considered legit, IMHO.

Edit:

I would probably require that they be able to perform miracles before being able to do something like that-- and that they are in fact using the create miracle ability to convert their urine into holy water, and that is how they are sidestepping the material requirement.  In such a case, their urine would be genuine holy water, and would not be salty or yellow. It would be pure, perfect, holy water. On tap. I would charge them the 5k EXP, and the equivalent cost in EXP for the 5lb of silver. I would give them a boon though, and ask if they wanted it to become permanent, as a consequence of being a direct conduit of their divinity of devotion. Being able to piss a glass of holy water would be useful at times, but would also be dangerous, because they would always exhibit a positive energy aura, from containing a "potion" in their bladder.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 12:10:16 pm by wierd »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #124142 on: July 09, 2017, 12:26:41 pm »

Oddly enough the Silver is rather harmless. You could probably drink the Silver.

While there are some side effects of prolonged use of silver products and it being inhaled... A pure silver mouthwash isn't going to have any detrimental effects.
Drinking molten silver is hardcore
Relevant https://youtu.be/Akl6OK2HUNA
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #124143 on: July 09, 2017, 12:30:08 pm »

Be sure not to grant it permanently to anything below neutral good alignment. They might start summoning demons to create a better market for their holy water business.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124144 on: July 09, 2017, 12:42:31 pm »

One of the requirements for Miracle, is that it has to be in-line with something their god would actually endorse. Theoretically, ANY cleric can create holy water, regardless of the deity they serve. Thus, you would need a god that is seriously in your face to the point where allowing holy piss attacks is in-line with their creed. That is a very short list.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #124145 on: July 09, 2017, 12:56:43 pm »

One of the requirements for Miracle, is that it has to be in-line with something their god would actually endorse. Theoretically, ANY cleric can create holy water, regardless of the deity they serve. Thus, you would need a god that is seriously in your face to the point where allowing holy piss attacks is in-line with their creed. That is a very short list.
I was going to comment on this but now that I'm thinking, I can only think of "Pelor" and all the evil-aligned DnD deities.
I am not well versed in the settings of DnD and their gods. Mostly just the mechanics.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #124146 on: July 09, 2017, 01:12:59 pm »

What if you serve the God of dehydration

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #124147 on: July 09, 2017, 01:14:05 pm »

Do you want mummy lords? This is how you get mummy lords.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #124148 on: July 09, 2017, 01:25:53 pm »

Do you want mummy lords? This is how you get mummy lords.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7C0arR310g
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124149 on: July 09, 2017, 01:51:50 pm »

I'm sure the more fetishistic sexual gods would allow for holy piss attacks. Like everything in 3.5,  I think there's a splatbook for that. A very splatty book.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #124150 on: July 09, 2017, 01:57:13 pm »

I just realized Quetzalcoatl was almost certainly a real creature. A superpower possessing psychic dinosaur that decided to help Aztec civilizations, then got bored and fucked off into the ocean.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124151 on: July 09, 2017, 02:01:58 pm »

I'm sure the more fetishistic sexual gods would allow for holy piss attacks. Like everything in 3.5,  I think there's a splatbook for that. A very splatty book.

Obligatory Whizzard reference.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #124152 on: July 09, 2017, 06:25:23 pm »

I just realized Quetzalcoatl was almost certainly a real creature. A superpower possessing psychic dinosaur that decided to help Aztec civilizations, then got bored and fucked off into the ocean.

Maybe not the psychic powers, tho.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #124153 on: July 09, 2017, 06:36:41 pm »

He wasn't an Aztec god, though. He was the god a previous culture that was conquered and destroyed by the Aztec Confederation. They didn't so much as worship as appease him, because prophecies said he'd come back from the east to enact revenge.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #124154 on: July 09, 2017, 08:07:26 pm »

Ever heard of the quetzalcoatlus?

Yep. Fuck that, psychic dinosaur.

Maybe not the psychic powers, tho.

Psychic. Dinosaur.

In all seriousness though, you really think a tiny weird salamander inspired an awesome revenge myth?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 8275 8276 [8277] 8278 8279 ... 11037