Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8273 8274 [8275] 8276 8277 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14541970 times)

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #124110 on: July 09, 2017, 12:23:46 am »

Idk what 'wrongplay' is but is sounds kinky
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124111 on: July 09, 2017, 12:34:40 am »

It's a somewhat nebulous concept, not coincidentally.  I use the word for LPs which show off as many glitches as possible.  Preferably with detailed explanations.

I don't know of many, mostly that it-he guy I keep plugging linking (Deus Ex/Thief/Ultima/System Shock 1&2/more).  And that one Zelda OoT run where he got all/most items as the wrong Link.  I've totally lost track of that Youtube account though ):

I think I got "wrongplay" from Slowbeef and Diabetus, who use it in a very different way, but I feel like it's perfect for glitch-showcase runs.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124112 on: July 09, 2017, 12:55:39 am »

To be fair, Fast Hands + high energy weapons + turbo-plas = they're dead, Jim.  You lose aimed shot but can easily manage four plasma shots per turn.  It's how I completed my first playthrough.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #124113 on: July 09, 2017, 03:30:10 am »

You got gluten allergy? Well, that's too bad, the catholic church does not love you. Go find another religion. I can recommend gluten free pasta-farianism.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jul/09/gluten-free-bread-for-holy-communion-is-toast-says-vatican

the WTF is that I didn't expect this progressive pope to be so intolerant. I mean, what are we talking about? What's the big problem with gluten-free hosties?

I mean, hell, even muslims are allowed to drink alcohol if it's on doctor's perscription (because historially, a lot of medical tinctures used alcohol as a solvent). I don't get why the Pope has to be so hardline on something so trivial.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 03:35:03 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #124114 on: July 09, 2017, 03:33:49 am »

It's not a new development, they've always prohibited it. The reason is that communion requires bread, and in the eyes of the church gluten-free bread is not bread at all.

That's Catholicism for you. Frankly, I'm surprised they're not still opposing giving pain relief to women in labor, that's even got a direct biblical basis.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124115 on: July 09, 2017, 03:33:59 am »

It isnt like the Eucharist wafer is even a close approximation to the flat bread eaten in the middle east anyway.

Hell, the middle east had access to millet. It is gluten free, and can be used to create flatbreads. As long as it is unleavened, it would be appropriate, as it has just as good a probability of being at the last supper as wheat based flatbread.

Dogma. It's always about Dogma, rather than actual spiritual intent.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124116 on: July 09, 2017, 07:43:00 am »

Doesn't look like it was the Pope himself that made the call, but one of the cardinals.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #124117 on: July 09, 2017, 07:48:06 am »

People actually surprised that religious clergy follow dogma instead of being that most nebulous of things; spiritual, but not religious... Is amusing, but it seems an altogether inevitable consequence of walking the tightrope of appealing to progressive journalists whose only concern with religion is whether it is useful to their political agenda and conservative catholics who see him as a modernist heretic. As amusing as it would be for Bergoglio to introduce millet bread based off of an anachronism attempting to bring the Church closer in line with the modern day Middle East after its subsequent invasion by the Rashiddun Caliphate and 700 years thereafter of Empires, Religious Wars, Communism and Capitalism - to make Communion without bread, is to challenge the Church's most fundamental belief in the divinity of Jesus Christ. This is owing to the doctrine of transubstantiation, wherein bread and wine becomes the body and blood of Christ through the Eucharist, thus to perform Eucharist without bread is absolutely haram. A few hundred years ago various Protestant churches disagreed, arguing that this had no basis in Biblical canon nor in the doctrines of the founders of the Holy Church, that it was instead founded in absurd materialism completely missing the point of remembrance, and this disagreement caused the fault line upon which millions were killed in sectarian conflict, wars and terror. Also the Orthodox Church is involved somehow, though I do not know how.

tl;dr
In the grimdark present of the 21st century, there is only bread heresy. It's a shibboleth like the pronunciation of 'h'. As with all things to do with religious doctrine, there are also variances. In Islam you will find Muslims who hold that medicine can only be prescribed in accordance with what Allah has made permissible, therefore to drink medicine on a doctor's prescription is to sin, and is haram - it can be used as a disinfectant, but not consumed. Though a religion condemning something is not the same as it enforcing its rules, so I imagine in more secularist times this could be relaxed
In particular some of the Shiites like Alevis and Ismali also take a more relaxed view on things, akin to Buddhists saying alcohol should be avoided and it's bad but not out of your choice to drink it

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124118 on: July 09, 2017, 07:50:35 am »

Is Gluten Free bread not real bread?

In Islam you will find Muslims who hold that medicine can only be prescribed in accordance with what Allah has made permissible, therefore to drink medicine on a doctor's prescription is to sin, and is haram - it can be used as a disinfectant, but not consumed.

And we have also heard the exact opposite that Muslims can drink alcohol but only if it is medically prescribed.

And judging by the HUGE variance in Muslim rules and doctrine I am convinced there are different regional differences between the Islamic groups... and even Sharia law.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 07:53:12 am by Neonivek »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124119 on: July 09, 2017, 08:42:44 am »

Cognitive dissonance.

Their minds cannot reconcile "Ancient world used flatbreads" with "When I think of bread, I think of the fluffy stuff I eat that has been processed with yeast."

Since they cannot make this leap, the idea of using millet based flatbread- a very real thing in middle eastern cooking, and would have been a very real thing in ancient biblical periods, and right at home in the setting of the last supper (considering the meal was eaten at what is basically a diner, you would expect cheap and available fare. Millet is easier to produce in abundance than wheat, and would command a cheaper price at market, so millet based bread is quite likely to have been present at such a dinner)-- is something they cannot wrap their heads around.

If you want to be more exclusive, and say that you want only archaeologically supportable staples, you can instead use barley based breads- This is not strictly "Gluten Free", but it is significantly lower in gluten than is wheat based breads.

This of course, is still all in stark contrast to the ACTUAL INTENT of the ritual of communion-- which is a strictly spiritual experience, where the "Transubstantiation" that happens is a strictly spiritual one. The act of eating a more biblically accurate flatbread as opposed to a processed and mass-manufactured wheat based Eucharist wafer might convey a deeper spiritual connection with the words uttered by the Messianic Christ at the last supper, and thus be more effective for communion as a physical component to a purely spiritual ritual. This is contrary of course to the central dogmas in Catholicism, where the church states that the lay parishoners are basically too stupid to have a direct spiritual connection with the divine, and thus need the guidance and interpretation of the clergy to organize and structure their rituals. (which is amusingly, why the Eucharist wafer is the way it is-- with its own branding, uniform shape, size, texture, etc. It has more in common with a potato chip than it does actual bread-- despite the potato chip being much tastier.)

If the argument is being made about BREAD--- Seriously-- does THIS--

look anything *AT ALL* like this?

Or hell-- if we want to throw in the ethno-historical factors-- like this?

(For reference, that is what ethic Matzah looks like.)

If anything, you are better off getting Indian naan bread than getting church branded Eucharist, if you want actual accuracy in your ritual... which of course, comes in millet varieties that are indeed gluten free.

No- this is really all about Dogmatism that was established early in chruch doctrine, where the clergy interjected itself as the sole arbiter of what was or not permitted in ritualized communion, and established its own "Gold Standard" on what can be used in the ritual-- Namely, its branded, iconic Eucharist-- supplanting the actual historically accurate flatbreads that would have been at such a dinner table in the middle east of that period. It is all about church control, dogmatic adherence to internal church doctrines, and powertripping of the clergy-- AND SHIT LITTLE about any of the following things: Spiritualism concerning actually getting closer to Jesus via the ritual of communion, being historically accurate in the performance of the ritual, or understanding spiritual transubstantiation at a *SPIRITUAL* experience, and thus wholly independent of what kind of bread you choose to use, or even choose to use bread at all.

In short, The catholic church is flipping full of itself, and tripping balls.  News at 11.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124120 on: July 09, 2017, 08:45:38 am »

God: Omnipotent except in its ability to fit itself into bread, for that it needs a little Gluten assistance.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #124121 on: July 09, 2017, 08:47:01 am »

You would expect the gluten to hinder such a feat, given it's the doughy, sticky part.

I thought wierd changed their avatar, but just photobucket being a dick.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124122 on: July 09, 2017, 08:52:32 am »

I find this HILLARIOUS

As a Catholic you can literally turn your own spit into Holy Water. (If you ever wondered why "Holy Water Anointed by a Priest" was a thing... That is why, holy water itself isn't special)

But bread that has had its Gluten removed? Apparently even the power of Christ cannot compel that.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #124123 on: July 09, 2017, 09:01:56 am »

Is Gluten Free bread not real bread?
The bread used in the Eucharist in the Catholic Church must be made with, amongst other things, wheat flour. Wheat contains wheat gluten. Bread made from gluten free grains is still bread imo, but it's not the unleavened bread it must be for whatever doctrinal reasons, and the Catholic Church does not see them as bread. Super low gluten is ok tho
“Our consciousness of this is definitely being raised,” said Father Michael Flynn, executive director of the Secretariat of Divine Worship at the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, recently told Reuters. “The question that’s always kind of a balancing act is how much can you tweak bread and still have it be bread.”

And we have also heard the exact opposite that Muslims can drink alcohol but only if it is medically prescribed.
And judging by the HUGE variance in Muslim rules and doctrine I am convinced there are different regional differences between the Islamic groups... and even Sharia law.
Alcohol is always haram - Alcohol is allowed for medicine, is not a huge variance imo. Alcohol is bad mmmmkayyyy
And of course there's differences between the different Islamic groups, or else they wouldn't be different Islamic groups, they'd be the same :P
Don't understand why people think Islam is a homogeneous blob tbh. There's billions of em spread over 700 years of history, internecine conflict and exposure with other ideas. Sects, schisms and schools of thought branch out inevitably

Their minds cannot reconcile "Ancient world used flatbreads" with "When I think of bread, I think of the fluffy stuff I eat that has been processed with yeast."
Unleavened bread is flatbread m8
Unleavened explicitly means processed without yeast
You've gotten a bit confus m8

Since they cannot make this leap, the idea of using millet based flatbread- a very real thing in middle eastern cooking, and would have been a very real thing in ancient biblical periods, and right at home in the setting of the last supper (considering the meal was eaten at what is basically a diner, you would expect cheap and available fare. Millet is easier to produce in abundance than wheat, and would command a cheaper price at market, so millet based bread is quite likely to have been present at such a dinner)-- is something they cannot wrap their heads around.
You can't look at the Middle East today and use it to judge what it was like 2,000 years ago

This of course, is still all in stark contrast to the ACTUAL INTENT of the ritual of communion-- which is a strictly spiritual experience, where the "Transubstantiation" that happens is a strictly spiritual one.
This sounds more Evangelical tbh, for the Catholic Church holds that transubstantiation is the real presence of Christ in the bread and wine of the Eucharist. What you are referring to is consubstantiation, which is a doctrine largely held by various protestant sects (lot harder to generalize protestants since each church tends to do its own thing).

The act of eating a more biblically accurate flatbread as opposed to a processed and mass-manufactured wheat based Eucharist wafer might convey a deeper spiritual connection with the words uttered by the Messianic Christ at the last supper, and thus be more effective for communion as a physical component to a purely spiritual ritual.
There is no biblical evidence of Christ giving the apostles millet bread, this would not be a more biblically accurate flatbread

This is contrary of course to the central dogmas in Catholicism, where the church states that the lay parishoners are basically too stupid to have a direct spiritual connection with the divine, and thus need the guidance and interpretation of the clergy to organize and structure their rituals. (which is amusingly, why the Eucharist wafer is the way it is-- with its own branding, uniform shape, size, texture, etc. It has more in common with a potato chip than it does actual bread-- despite the potato chip being much tastier.)
Jesus Christ, calm down Napoleon ;]

In short, The catholic church is flipping full of itself, and tripping balls.  News at 11.
Avoid hasty judgement before one understands what is being judged

I find this HILLARIOUS
As a Catholic you can literally turn your own spit into Holy Water.
You can't

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124124 on: July 09, 2017, 09:02:12 am »

I find this HILLARIOUS

As a Catholic you can literally turn your own spit into Holy Water. (If you ever wondered why "Holy Water Anointed by a Priest" was a thing... That is why, holy water itself isn't special)

But bread that has had its Gluten removed? Apparently even the power of Christ cannot compel that.

I can imagine a cleric who has run out of holy water bottles fighting vampires (or other undead) deciding to 'anoint' his/her mouth and use his/her spit and spit at the foes. lol. I wonder if any DnD players have attempted to use that tactic.

I find this HILLARIOUS
As a Catholic you can literally turn your own spit into Holy Water.
You can't

Still hilarious.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 09:04:42 am by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 8273 8274 [8275] 8276 8277 ... 11037