Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8260 8261 [8262] 8263 8264 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14529644 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #123915 on: July 05, 2017, 02:11:53 pm »

CNN doxxed someone over a Trump gif.

Classy.

Well, some are claiming that they did so, CNN is claiming that they didn't. It certainly has the appearance of doxxing. Rather low blow for them if they did so.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123916 on: July 05, 2017, 02:30:15 pm »

Wait so, people are claiming that CNN has leaked his info somehow?  That seems weird, not sure who they would be leaking to or what motive they would have.

Classy.
They literally didn't, obviously.  They identified the user, and contacted him, but didn't release his info.
fake news

They did all the legwork and then withheld it to try and coerce him into apologizing and not making any more memes about them. Same process, same intent, but honestly even scummier.

Not even anything remarkable, just the CNN logo pasted over the face of that guy from the old Trump wrestling video. Proud culture warriors at work, stopping people from making shitty memes. It's been how many decades and they still don't understand how the Streisand Effect works?
Well no, it's not scummier than an actual doxxing.  Come on.
It is still kinda disturbing, and I wonder whether they've crossed a line.  In their opinion it's a incitement of violence.  I disagree, but I see where they're coming from, and all they required was a lasting retraction.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123917 on: July 05, 2017, 02:40:13 pm »

TBH, the guy seemed really hypocritical after all the racist posts and ectcetera and trying to apologize in like "I didn't mean it!, that's not who I am! Trolling is not okay! I'm killing my account! Bye! AAAH!".

@roland: They're (Well, Donald Trump Jr. and the alt-right) accusing CNN of blackmailing the guy, not of releasing personal information.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #123918 on: July 05, 2017, 02:42:04 pm »

Classy.

Well, some are claiming that they did so, CNN is claiming that they didn't. It certainly has the appearance of doxxing. Rather low blow for them if they did so.

Doxxing by any other name is still a dick move.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123919 on: July 05, 2017, 02:43:31 pm »

They definitely crossed a line Rolan:

The classy thing to do is to request, publicly, that "Mr Solo" provide the apology they sought, and then when he naturally refused (for being a douchebag), then out him as a douchebag, but dont give his personal details, or even bother obtaining them.

Instead, they used their network of informants and other means to obtain his real identity, privately blackmailed him into submission, then crowed about it.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #123920 on: July 05, 2017, 02:44:09 pm »

network of informants
literally?
One wheel short of a wagon

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123921 on: July 05, 2017, 02:45:39 pm »

Seriously? Do you not know how investigative journalism works, or why the press has to protect its anonymous sources, or even what anonymous sources are?!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #123922 on: July 05, 2017, 02:48:32 pm »

TBH, the guy seemed really hypocritical after all the racist posts and ectcetera and trying to apologize in like "I didn't mean it!, that's not who I am! Trolling is not okay! I'm killing my account! Bye! AAAH!".

@roland: They're (Well, Donald Trump Jr. and the alt-right) accusing CNN of blackmailing the guy, not of releasing personal information.
Oh yeah, I have no sympathy for this guy in particular.  But like, CNN has standards and should be held to standards.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123923 on: July 05, 2017, 02:51:35 pm »

Even if there was a legitimate reason to go to all these lenghts to track down the guy (which there isn't), they should've solved the issue privately, not make an article bragging about how they tracked down this one guy and basically had all the power to dox him. Its bad enough that he could sue them, if CNN didn't have a huge pack of defense lawyers to make sure the common person cannot have a legal battle with them without being finantially ruined, that is.

Seriously though, the guy made one fucking meme, nothing justifies CNN's actions in regards to this, even if the guy waswere an actual nazi.

Isn't this forum the very same in which people keep saying how bigass corporations are evil and should not be allowed to hurt the common man? Why take the ~soft gloves on~ approach with CNN in this matter?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 02:58:52 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #123924 on: July 05, 2017, 02:53:53 pm »

Seriously? Do you not know how investigative journalism works, or why the press has to protect its anonymous sources, or even what anonymous sources are?!

Quote from: CNN
Using identifying information that "HanA**holeSolo" posted on Reddit, KFile was able to determine key biographical details, to find the man's name using a Facebook search and ultimately corroborate details he had made available on Reddit.

Oh, sry, guess my lack of understanding of what an anonymous source is made me misinterpret that.
One wheel short of a wagon

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123925 on: July 05, 2017, 02:54:03 pm »

Seriously though, the guy made one fucking meme, nothing justifies CNN's actions in regards to this, even if the guy was an actual nazi.

+1
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123926 on: July 05, 2017, 02:56:16 pm »

Oh yeah, I have no sympathy for this guy in particular.  But like, CNN has standards and should be held to standards.

I agree here, they should have avoided even the slightest appearance of even trying to doxx the guy.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123927 on: July 05, 2017, 02:58:09 pm »

Actually I agree now, they crossed a line (I was on the fence).  It comes down to whether people should be free to say things anonymously, and I think that's a right we should protect.  Even threats or incitement of violence (which this arguably is).

Ethically I think that applies even if someone doesn't guard their privacy perfectly.  I know I could be tied to this account, but it's still scummy to "catch" someone who believes they're anonymous.

I've often argued that 4chan is useful for its anonymity, and I shouldn't change my mind just because this is, well... a serious news agency versus a douchebag.
Instead, they used their network of informants and other means to obtain his real identity, privately blackmailed him into submission, then crowed about it.
I don't see how the blackmail was at all private, but otherwise I mostly agree. 
Another option would have been to not track down the creator at all...  I mean, people create way more heinous and threatening shit constantly.  This one's only notable because Trump picked it up, not anything this "Solo" guy did.  I don't like him, but he really didn't deserve this.

Seriously though, the guy made one fucking meme, nothing justifies CNN's actions in regards to this, even if the guy was an actual nazi.

+1
+1
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123928 on: July 05, 2017, 03:01:47 pm »

How is the gif incitement to violence though? Its a satyrical meme made from a goddamn WWE event thing in which Trump took part in. A WWE meme.

Its like if I pasted the image of someone over the black knight's scene from Monthy Python (when he gets his limbs chopped off) and someone called that incitement to violence.

EDIT: turns out CNN may actualy have threatened the wrong person, too, and the guy they found only cropped the original gif, which was created by someone else.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 03:04:40 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123929 on: July 05, 2017, 03:06:06 pm »

Quote from: CNN
Using identifying information that "HanA**holeSolo" posted on Reddit, KFile was able to determine key biographical details, to find the man's name using a Facebook search and ultimately corroborate details he had made available on Reddit.

Oh, sry, guess my lack of understanding of what an anonymous source is made me misinterpret that.

Sarcasm aside, the existence of a dedicated effort under the name KFILE is sufficient to hold the title of "Network of informants", even if they are not anonymous. Hell, a "call in line" is part of a network of informants. (You know, something as innocuous as 1-800-crimestoppers).  The media uses reporters, who try to get dirt themselves, but the media also uses and enlists the support of other people when doing the investigation for their stories. Some people are better to interview than others, either because they are more tractable for an interview, or because they are in positions to know with authority. It does not matter if those individuals are anonymous or not, they are informants, which is why they get interviewed in the journalistic process.  So, I stand by the first part of my shocked reply.

In this instance, a twitter feed called KFILE exists, which is dominated by who I presume to be its maintainer-- Andrew Kaczynski. Being a public twitter feed, anyone can post there, even anonymous twitter users using pseudonyms. It therefor qualifies as a network for informants.

Unless you want to specify how exactly, it is NOT a network for informants, that is.
Pages: 1 ... 8260 8261 [8262] 8263 8264 ... 11037