Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8236 8237 [8238] 8239 8240 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14523584 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #123555 on: June 24, 2017, 10:05:07 pm »

I would assume it is just dumb luck wether the gamma rays destroy important bytes of DNA or not.

Gamma ray you say.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123556 on: June 24, 2017, 10:35:06 pm »

DNA doesn't have bytes, as it has four states rather than two. Bytes are groups of eight bits, each of which has two states.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123557 on: June 24, 2017, 11:27:15 pm »

It's dumb luck which nucleobase gets fucked with, yeah, but generally speaking the *really* important stuff in your genes has a fair few failsafes and redundancies. I think that'd be the main way you'd have more resistance to radiation, just having better proof-reading in your replication and proto-cancer fighting immune system.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123558 on: June 25, 2017, 01:36:26 am »

DNA doesn't have bytes, as it has four states rather than two. Bytes are groups of eight bits, each of which has two states.
I knew that, but I couldn't think of a better word to use. Also, you understood what I meant, so my choice of words served its purpose.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123559 on: June 25, 2017, 01:48:28 am »

The appropriate word here would be alleles, I think.
There, I taught you something and therefore my original statement has become useful. You're welcome. :P

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123560 on: June 25, 2017, 04:50:45 am »

Allele isn't the right word either. That means a variant gene that exists in a population.

Base pair is the right term here.

As for bytes, 4 base pairs encodes 256 possible combinations so it is the equivalent of 1 byte of data.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 04:53:20 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #123561 on: June 25, 2017, 04:55:32 am »

Yeah I'm pretty sure that in light of this discussion byte was the best choice of word for what he was wanting to say.
Love, scriver~

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #123562 on: June 25, 2017, 06:16:26 am »

Allele isn't the right word either. That means a variant gene that exists in a population.

As for bytes, 4 base pairs encodes 256 possible combinations so it is the equivalent of 1 byte of data.
Not any more if you read farther down in that article you linked. Yes, naturally, it works the way you said, but thanks to ‼SCIENCE‼, besides G, C, A, and T there are now D5SICS and their corresponding dNaM nucleosides. Earlier experiments also lead to a Ds-Px pair, but I am lead to believe that unlike D5SICS-dNaM pairs they weren't able to get an organism to accept and reproduce the base-pair for more than a couple generations before the DNA-Repair mechanism replaced it.

However, (shortening D5SICS-dNaM to D-d), what this means is that in future GMOs we may see sequences such as
GCTdACDTADGDCd
CGADTGdATdCdGD

which would expand the combinations encoded by 4 base pairs to 4096 possible combinations, equal to 16 bytes of data.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123563 on: June 25, 2017, 07:41:34 am »

Goodness... I find I am more ok with less singing ability, but who understand the song.

Versus someone who is an excellent singer but sings the song wrong! WRONG WRONG!!! DANG IT!!! The Song is meant to be you calling into the distance! It isn't you writing in your diary.

You need to hit the correct emotional notes OR change the emotional notes. You cannot omit the emotional notes! That makes the song bland and emotionless.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 08:18:46 am by Neonivek »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #123564 on: June 25, 2017, 08:25:46 am »

Goodness... I find I am more ok with less singing ability, but who understand the song.

Versus someone who is an excellent singer but sings the song wrong! WRONG WRONG!!! DANG IT!!! The Song is meant to be you calling into the distance! It isn't you writing in your diary.

You need to hit the correct emotional notes OR change the emotional notes. You cannot omit the emotional notes! That makes the song bland and emotionless.
I can show you the world
Shining, shimmering, splendid
Tell me, Neonivek now when did
You last let your heart decide?

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #123565 on: June 25, 2017, 11:48:50 am »

Dunno where I shall post this information, but here it is: Apparently, Eastern European version of Fallout New Vegas turned into Fallout New Vegas RU, and now everyone is butthurt because "muh xenophobia". That explains why reviews for F: NV are mixed.

Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/6j763e/the_steam_version_of_fallout_new_vegas_was_turned/

Seems to me that Bethesda will try to make as much terrible decisions as possible this year.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #123567 on: June 25, 2017, 12:37:07 pm »

...And I wonder sometimes... How that happens... you know, it's like a sudden drop-off in quality.

I need to play this mod, right after I'll complete my current run. BTW, in which year this mod was made?
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #123568 on: June 25, 2017, 12:39:48 pm »

The most recent update was in 2014. Too lazy to look up the mod's history.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123569 on: June 25, 2017, 03:51:18 pm »

Even that's not really correct, in terms of practicality; it's not the individual nucleotide that matters, it's the set of three that get encoded into an amino acid in a protein. Which results in 64 combinations, but even then only get expressed as 20 amino acids (one codon of which doubles as a "start here" codon as well as acid, and a few which are stop codons [ie. a huge issue if you mutate to a stop codon prematurely])

I'm not really sure what my point was; just that the 4^4 combinations don't matter, since it's actually 4^3. :v

(also "a base pair" is, literally, the pair. GC or AT. so there's only two base pairs. ;P But since a G is treated differently than a C in the encoding strand (and A from T) I'll give that a pass...)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 03:53:31 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 8236 8237 [8238] 8239 8240 ... 11037