Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8219 8220 [8221] 8222 8223 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14518337 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #123300 on: June 17, 2017, 02:59:38 am »

I thought the fact that America was on the verge of acceptance as well as the prominence of the black community that gave Martin Luther King Jr. headway...

Not some sort of upsurge in rampant or systematic abuse.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #123301 on: June 17, 2017, 03:05:52 am »

If they want to decry fascism, they need to decry the aggressive lobbying of big business, big banking, and pals-- and be very opposed to corporate powers in general.

The way US corporations are run is very much fascist in structure. They should be championing for radical change in US business culture, radical change in lobbying law, radical change in what constitutes quid-pro-quo, radical change in porkbarrel politics, etc.

Instead, they are just yelling and screaming at people they dont like.

Welcome to leftist extremism in America. Pretty much every anarchist with an ounce of brains figured out that it wasn't viable decades ago. Speaking of...

Two weeks later, a headline about a group of masked thugs being gunned down when they tried to feed someone's dog meat laced with ground glass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=98&v=q9Mh_pDJBAE
The real beauty of that fuckwit who shouted "Nazi punks fuck off!" at the end of the video is that he's taking it as another empty slogan, totally ignorant of the context behind it. It became a distinct phrase in '81 when the DKs released "Nazi Punks Fuck Off" as a single. A song about how people who got into punk for mindless violence and edginess are doing nothing of worth, causing infighting within the left, and helping to enable economic and political corruption. Which is, uh, rather on the nose for how antifas and similar types tend to play out, just swap around the symbols a bit.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #123302 on: June 17, 2017, 03:20:10 am »

I thought the fact that America was on the verge of acceptance as well as the prominence of the black community that gave Martin Luther King Jr. headway...

Not some sort of upsurge in rampant or systematic abuse.

More than one thing at once, Neo.
We all know very well that the racism dodn't go *POOF* overnight. The more accepting of equality signed on with peace for peace, the slightly less accepting signed on with peace to avoid violence, and theres the assholes who never really signed on.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123303 on: June 17, 2017, 03:22:19 am »

Then there are those who do not understand the concept of equality.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #123304 on: June 17, 2017, 03:27:25 am »

Then there are those who do not understand the concept of equality.

The problem with equality is that everyone wants it on their own terms.

My game giveaway

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123305 on: June 17, 2017, 03:30:27 am »

Then they dont want equality, they want what the other guy has. They are not the same thing.

If the other guy has an advantage, and they want that advantage too, then either nobody ends up advantaged (equality), or you just replace the other guy. (Unfair advantage remains, just a new face to hold the title.)

Equality cannot endure in the face of the latter. They are mutually exclusive.  If you want equality, you want nobody to have an advantage. Not even yourself. (Especially not yourself.)

Like I said-- there are people who dont understand this.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123306 on: June 17, 2017, 04:04:49 am »

Well, the grass is always greener on the other side.
Hard to get true equality when nobody is an outsider.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123307 on: June 17, 2017, 04:18:32 am »

The reason why Equality isn't clear cut is because pure egalitarianism is not only nonsensical but undesirable.

People do NEED to be treated differently from one another because everyone has different needs. This is the plain fact of the matter.

So you have a conflict of two seemingly contradictory points that both must be true:

Everyone should be treated equally, everyone should be treated differently from one another. These two counterpoints are the essence of true equality.

This isn't even getting into what people deserve.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123308 on: June 17, 2017, 04:30:01 am »

Spoiler: Sort of thing? (click to show/hide)

But my idea of the actual push for 'gender equality' is just that.
Women being just as free to do whatever jobs they want, regardless of difficulty or danger, and taking the risks and difficulties which come with that in sway.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123309 on: June 17, 2017, 04:42:00 am »

Also SERIOUSLY why is the fictional church so much cooler than the real one?

"Oooh no! My family has been dying left and right and there is nothing I can do"
Cool priest: "Well, looks like it is time for the Church to be involved"
Me: "Wait what? No one told me the Church had a detective division!"

Every once in a while I stumble across a piece of fiction that wonderfully upgrades the power of the Church while still letting the audience know that this is the Church not a fictionalized version of it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 04:45:46 am by Neonivek »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123310 on: June 17, 2017, 04:54:49 am »

Spoiler: Sort of thing? (click to show/hide)

But my idea of the actual push for 'gender equality' is just that.
Women being just as free to do whatever jobs they want, regardless of difficulty or danger, and taking the risks and difficulties which come with that in sway.

The problem I have with depictions like that one, and with the rhetoric Neon used, is that it treats situations as fundamentally unchangeable, except via constant application of amelioration.

For somebody that is simply not as tall as other people, this is true-- but the illustration uses this simplicity to conceal a more difficult truth-- Many of the disenfranchised are not FUNDAMENTALLY less able, and so, DO NOT NEED ENDLESS AMELIORATION.

See for instance, the total success story of women's suffrage (USA).  Do women need special protection at the polls to cast ballots today? No-- they don't. Did they need it 80 years ago? Hell yes they did.

Despite this being an evident truth, we have a different story with race relations and hatreds in this country, and the indefinite application of ameliorations, with the subtle underlying understanding by some that continual application is the ideal-- that they are a short person, and will always need 3 boxes to reach the fruit--, when in fact, they are a tall person that has somebody pushing down on them, and being told they will always need the boxes is just more pushing down on them.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 04:57:41 am by wierd »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #123311 on: June 17, 2017, 04:58:16 am »

The problem with equality is that every bumpkin peasant starts thinking him or herself the equal of the nobility, and what do we get then?  Chaos! Bestiality! Disaster!  Cats and dogs living together!
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #123312 on: June 17, 2017, 05:06:16 am »

The problem with equality is that every bumpkin peasant starts thinking him or herself the equal of the nobility, and what do we get then?  Chaos! Bestiality! Disaster!  Cats and dogs living together!
Worse, we get more nobles
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123313 on: June 17, 2017, 05:08:41 am »

It was only a simple statement to get an idea of why equality isn't a very simple idea.

Equal and different is just a framework, a skeleton towards a more well rounded picture. As well as a hint for why equality can be bastardized.

Not to mention that the reasons why someone needs to be treated differently can be more than simply different needs. As well "equally" and "differently" are also the same thing.

The "rhetoric" I used can very well be used to justify systematic racism.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 05:11:56 am by Neonivek »

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #123314 on: June 17, 2017, 05:13:08 am »

Worse, we get more nobles
vive la guillotine

My game giveaway
Pages: 1 ... 8219 8220 [8221] 8222 8223 ... 11037