Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8203 8204 [8205] 8206 8207 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14515203 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #123060 on: June 11, 2017, 05:31:59 pm »

Toxikk sorta does this. It claims the free version is more than just a demo, but it really, really is. The upgrade to full is listed under the DLC section(and also on the main page).

On the other hand, Toxikk might be a bad example since it tries to be a throwback to 1999 when games actually had demos and none of this F2P.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #123061 on: June 11, 2017, 08:50:39 pm »

Metal Gear Solid V has made me feel bad for speaking English.

Code Talker's tapes, specifically.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #123062 on: June 11, 2017, 08:52:03 pm »

Metal Gear Solid V has made me feel bad for speaking English.

Code Talker's tapes, specifically.

Bonjour ma petit croissant.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #123063 on: June 11, 2017, 08:54:23 pm »

I saw Wonder Woman.

It was surprisingly bad, considering how the reviews drooled over it.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #123064 on: June 11, 2017, 08:57:55 pm »

One of the downsides of reading a series that is very heavy on pop culture references is that it can be hard to tell if something is a coincidence or a really subtle reference.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #123065 on: June 11, 2017, 10:06:23 pm »

I saw Wonder Woman.

It was surprisingly bad, considering how the reviews drooled over it.

It's a DC film, if you expected any good at all you were fooling yourself.

Probably an even split between culturally mandated praise and "Well, at least it wasn't as bad as [insert DC film title here]," as far as the reviews go.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123066 on: June 11, 2017, 11:03:35 pm »

Someone on facebook was talking about how feminist it was because it has Gal Godot rant at some WWI generals and politicians, because they throw away human life without a care. That's ... literally one of the most classic critiques of WWI in every medium. I think some people are desperate for this to be a success to prove female superheroes / female directors can make it, and are reading feminist narratives into some things which have nothing to do with feminism. In the end, the movie will stand on its own merits and whatever is or isn't noteworthy will become more apparent as the hype recedes.

In reality what were prominent women's views on WWI?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_feather#World_War_I
https://www.opendemocracy.net/5050/nicoletta-f-gullace/white-feather-girls-womens-militarism-in-uk
In August 1914, at the start of the First World War, Admiral Charles Fitzgerald founded the Order of the White Feather with support from the prominent author Mrs Humphrey Ward. The organization aimed to shame men into enlisting in the British army by persuading women to present them with a white feather if they were not wearing a uniform.

This was joined by some prominent feminists and suffragettes of the time, such as Emmeline Pankhurst and her daughter Christabel. They, in addition to handing out the feathers, also lobbied to institute an involuntary universal draft, which included those who lacked votes due to being too young or not owning property.

Any "feminists were all against WWI" narrative requires us to whitewash pro-war feminist's involvement in these movement. Some feminists opposed it, but plenty of male-led political groups also opposed the war. There was probably no relationship at all between views on female suffrage and pro/anti war sentiment.

Another narrative has been how the studio refuses to spend any money promoting the movie "because it has a woman in it". Except anyone who's actually researched the marketing spend figures says that's nonsense. Once a movie is being made and you're pouring $50 million into production, nobody skimps on marketing because it has a woman in it. Not if you value your job.
http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1652990/the-actual-amount-wonder-woman-has-spent-on-marketing-so-far

So, they're spending more than on some other DC titles, but yesterday I head in-person comments from some acquaintances (who aren't feminists) that "they didn't spend anything promoting Wonder Woman". So this false narrative has been spread around because people want something to complain about.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 11:22:05 pm by Reelya »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123067 on: June 12, 2017, 01:57:55 am »

While not on the level some reviews put it, I thought WW was an excellent movie on the standards of superhero flicks. An actually likeable protagonist, a rarely used and well-constructed time period, a good soundtrack, a tone not completely lost in grimdark brooding, but trying to take a crack, however clumsily, at Serious Topics... It was a hell of a lot better than any of the previous DC schlock and much of Marvel's.

It kinda sounds like you're judging it for the reactions it got and the buzz around it, rather than for itself. Sure, it's no masterpiece, but what superhero movie is? You gotta turn your brain down a few notches. You don't go into a Generic Action Blockbuster expecting a timeless classic of drama, y'know?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123068 on: June 12, 2017, 02:59:12 am »

While not on the level some reviews put it, I thought WW was an excellent movie on the standards of superhero flicks.

This is nothing against you, DH, but oh where do I begin.

The protag is a Mary Sue of the most typical variety. She is never scratched, dented, or made dirty in any way, except during a single scene at the beginning of the movie in which she inexplicably fights at roughly 3% of the capacity she will display for the rest of the movie. During no point in the movie to you ever get the idea that she needs her companions around for anything other than people to point her in the right direction. The extended scene beginning with her going over the top of the trench was the part of the movie where I stopped taking her seriously.

The villain is a stock piece with the most traditional form of 'Join Me' dialogue I've seen in a while. After the initial idea of the twist, and an interesting design for his eventual armor, he basically withers into a spectacle fight that (again) doesn't even flutter the protag's eyelashes.

The 'supporting' motley crew is only supporting in the loosest sense of the words. You've got a sniper who can't snipe and is clearly battling inner demons that we never get to see and which resolve themselves magically for no apparent reason, a smooth talker who's pretty cool but could've done more, and a native american whose job in the movie is to throw one explosive tomahawk and make smoke signals.

The one glorious moment of the movie where they engage the biggest trope of action hero movies (that the struggle ends when you kill one dude) is beautiful for a split second, and then utterly ruined when they follow it with a scene where the protag kills one dude (and also reveals that the protag in fact could not have been killed up until this point, which begs serious questions about the introductory fight) and then ends the struggle.

Then there's the bloody cop-out angle they took with the love interest, and the fact that she professes to fight for love when it's not apparent she has a damn clue what love is.

It's a movie composed of interesting moments and ideas squandered on hackneyed set pieces that leave me wringing my hands for what could have been.

Perhaps my expectations were too high, I looked at the tomato-meter before I watched it, but it's a helluva lot closer to Batman Vs Superman than it is to Iron Man on the sliding scale of superhero movies.

Again, this is just my opinion. If you like it, I'm thrilled, I just want to rant about it. Largely because there were so many cool places that it could have gone, ideas it could have explored, and didn't.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123069 on: June 12, 2017, 03:11:48 am »

Oh, I agree with most of that, Draig, but it might be that my standards for superhero movies are very, very low. But, well - the protag might be physically invincible and barely bothered by anything, but I didn't really mind - this is your usual power fantasy to the max. It's the characterization that I thought worked; the gradual loss of idealism and character development over the movie. Sure, they could've done a lot more with that than they did, and done it better, but again; low standards, genuinely interesting angle.

I think it's pretty clear our expectations colored the movie, anyway. You expected a masterpiece worthy of its overblown reviews, I expected low-quality, mindless crap. I got what I wanted and was even pleasantly surprised, you were thoroughly disappointed.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123070 on: June 12, 2017, 03:21:19 am »

I honestly didn't expect a masterpiece. I guess I've been spoiled on Marvel, but I wasn't even expecting a good Marvel entry, I just expected Captain America I.

I like humanity in my characters, and there was no point for Wonder Woman when she was remotely human. She was just superman with breasts.

Bah, I'll drop it here. I hate wasted potential.
---

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123071 on: June 12, 2017, 03:43:41 am »

This is nothing against you, DH, but oh where do I begin.
-snip-
Oh boy. I was going to say I'd love to read the Mad satire of that, but honestly it sounds like movies these days are just making things too easy for them. :P   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123072 on: June 12, 2017, 03:54:05 am »

Wait, Mad Magazine is still around??
It IS :o
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123073 on: June 12, 2017, 05:19:44 am »

put the bath mat in the shower so she can't lie on it
Black lives matter.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #123074 on: June 12, 2017, 10:59:33 am »

I honestly didn't expect a masterpiece. I guess I've been spoiled on Marvel, but I wasn't even expecting a good Marvel entry, I just expected Captain America I.

I like humanity in my characters, and there was no point for Wonder Woman when she was remotely human. She was just superman with breasts.

Bah, I'll drop it here. I hate wasted potential.

I mean that's basically the sum total of her character in most portayals, yeah.

Another reason why the DC cartoons were good, they humanized a lot of their characters.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 8203 8204 [8205] 8206 8207 ... 11037