Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8029 8030 [8031] 8032 8033 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14539629 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #120450 on: April 05, 2017, 04:27:57 pm »

Nah, neville gave you a pretty obvious answer to that. If a prepubescent can survive being thrown out a window a few stories off the ground unharmed, it's likely pretty hard to kill the buggers with incidental stuff. Pretty sure the easiest explanation to defend for low population is just inbreeding and insularity.

E: And quite likely more the latter, tbh. Given the possibilities inherent in memory charms and whatnot, it wouldn't be surprising if there's a shitton of squibs running around the wizards just don't care to notice.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 04:31:48 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #120451 on: April 05, 2017, 04:30:03 pm »

Personally, I'm a fan of the theory that magic causes brain damage, hence why every wizard over the age of 30 is loopy.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #120452 on: April 05, 2017, 04:36:20 pm »

It'd have to be an odd sort, then, considering they're capable of living notably longer than most humans do. Maybe not damage so much as an odd sort of not-strictly-speaking-malignant brain tumor? Putting odd pressure in strange parts of the brain.

Alternatively, magic toxoplasmosis is a thing, and it's a thing with natural memory charms that are really damn good at keeping people from noticing it. Might even explain kneazles -- they're not actually magic cats, just hosts prepared in situ.
Ask not!
Ask!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #120453 on: April 05, 2017, 04:38:09 pm »

Im willing to settle for inbred wizards with 32 anne rice chromosome running around.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120454 on: April 05, 2017, 04:38:41 pm »

So is that why the sanest old man in the series has a pot he puts all of his crazy into?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #120455 on: April 05, 2017, 04:41:19 pm »

Huh. Penseives not actually storing memory, but extracted parasites that happen to use them as a sort of camouflage? It'd make the wizard saner, while acting as a preserver and delayed infection vector.
Ask not!
Ask!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #120456 on: April 05, 2017, 04:41:36 pm »

Personally, I'm a fan of the theory that magic causes brain damage, hence why every wizard over the age of 30 is loopy.
Well.. According to some Anime.. If you remain a virgin up to the age of 30, you become a wizard.
It can't just be a coincidence, or am I wrong about that?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120457 on: April 05, 2017, 04:47:42 pm »

I recall Harry Potter has one of them eat the death flavoured jellybean and vomiting up spectral deer so maybe stay away from those anyway.
Fucking Harry Potter universe has no health and safety, apparently.

Pretty sure that is most of the reason muggles outnumber wizards.  I'd be willing to bet the average life expectancy for wizards and witches is somewhere in the 30's.

What I love about Harry Potter absolutely love...

Is all those "Wait a minute" moments in Harry Potter... are intentional.

Did Hogwarts not really seem like all that good a school when you read the first book? Doesn't it seem a bit dangerous, in fact overly dangerous? Acknowledged later on. The books grow more skeptical as the children reading it would. The book's tone matching more Harry's own optimism and outlook.

It is a great counterpoint to "Don't think" arguments "Fiction is better when you don't think about things"

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #120458 on: April 05, 2017, 04:53:40 pm »

All through my school years I wished I was being taught in Hogwarts.

Hell, I still wish I was being taught in Hogwarts.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120459 on: April 05, 2017, 04:55:25 pm »

All through my school years I wished I was being taught in Hogwarts.

Hell, I still wish I was being taught in Hogwarts.

To admit Hogwarts condescended to you a lot less than typical school does.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #120460 on: April 05, 2017, 04:57:55 pm »

Indeed.

Plus, it was a place of camaraderie (house camaraderie, friend camaraderie) and inclusion, mixed with a setting in which nearly anything was possible and education wasn't a chore, but an adventure.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120461 on: April 05, 2017, 05:00:28 pm »

Indeed.

Plus, it was a place of camaraderie (house camaraderie, friend camaraderie) and inclusion, mixed with a setting in which nearly anything was possible and education wasn't a chore, but an adventure.

It helped that magic school applied directly to your life. Everything learned in magic school could be used immediately and was always helpful.

It isn't like some after school special where someone suddenly needs to perform trigonometry to find the best bus route home.

--

Not that I take TOO much stock in the "It would have been a great school", given its sort of... rampant elitism and clear favoritism.

I mean no wonder everyone hates Gryffindor... I'd hate them too.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120462 on: April 05, 2017, 05:02:21 pm »

I eat the black jellybeans, and that is why I don't have cancer.

Additionally, that only proves the possibility of his being wrong. I therefore posit that green jellybeans are indeed the cause of cancer, and that the eating of other-colored jellybeans is what has prevents cancer. Black jellybeans are the strongest counter-agent.

Funny fact! In The Sims 3's Supernatural expansion... You can get a every flavor Jellybean push.

However! One of these flavors is death and will kill your sim on the spot! even giving them a unique ghost in the process.

*looks at the Sims3 store page*

Dang EA and their 100 DLC. Okay, not 100, but the entire bundle costs a WHOPPING 380 dollars.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #120463 on: April 05, 2017, 05:04:36 pm »

I eat the black jellybeans, and that is why I don't have cancer.

Additionally, that only proves the possibility of his being wrong. I therefore posit that green jellybeans are indeed the cause of cancer, and that the eating of other-colored jellybeans is what has prevents cancer. Black jellybeans are the strongest counter-agent.

Funny fact! In The Sims 3's Supernatural expansion... You can get a every flavor Jellybean push.

However! One of these flavors is death and will kill your sim on the spot! even giving them a unique ghost in the process.

*looks at the Sims3 store page*

Dang EA and their 100 DLC. Okay, not 100, but the entire bundle costs a WHOPPING 380 dollars.

* Ultimuh does some math.
That's a bit over 3400 in Swedish currency.. Yeah that's a bit much if you ask me.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #120464 on: April 05, 2017, 05:10:03 pm »

I see your Sims 3, and raise you a train simulator.

All the DLC combined would cost over 6K US dollars.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 8029 8030 [8031] 8032 8033 ... 11037