Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7980 7981 [7982] 7983 7984 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14518509 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #119715 on: March 23, 2017, 03:22:35 pm »

Yay?

See, here I thought that was a man in an aviator jacket with goggles pushed up onto his head.

Oops.
It could be, now that I look again, but I figured with the state of their fellow drownees' attire it was a lady wearing a business dress. It'd fit comic trope-y things, too, both with composition and who more often is cast making statements like that.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 03:24:09 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #119716 on: March 23, 2017, 03:29:02 pm »

Guys, I tried an Irish electric shower and they are surprisingly good!
Woah man, we're not supposed to talk about that sort of thing on Bay 12.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #119717 on: March 23, 2017, 04:11:43 pm »

Someone must explain to me sometime why the Irish love electric showers so much. I swear 90% of the flats I've seen have one.
'Electric shower' makes me think of these:

she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119718 on: March 23, 2017, 04:19:33 pm »

Is there a term in fiction for a main character to sort of steal another character's plot, motivations, or character moments?

Like lets say... Stephanie Rox was haunted by a ghost so she trained for years to learn how to defeat it.

So Lars Maincharacter just goes and defeats it.

Then Lars Maincharacter finds out the secret of the ghost and the indepth backstory Stephanie never knew about her family.

---

I am SERIOUSLY starting to understand why I sometimes rate certain shows very favorably with their characters.

Because shows that sort of let the characters be characters... instead of foil for the main character are few and far between. Which gets worse when you add the writer's prejudices (there is a reason why Astrid, never succeeds at being a warrior)

---

You know what the heck... I am going to call this problem

Main character syndrome
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 04:26:53 pm by Neonivek »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #119719 on: March 23, 2017, 04:47:43 pm »

I've been playing around with a Raspberry Pi, using the command-line only version of Raspbian. I'm swiftly learning that using Linux with a GUI, as I did with my personal computer for years, only harmed my understanding of Linux. Being forced to dive in head-first has made things much clearer.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119720 on: March 23, 2017, 06:42:26 pm »

Main character syndrome

*cough*
Spoiler: huge (click to show/hide)
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #119721 on: March 23, 2017, 07:17:35 pm »

I have a folder full of this kind of stuff
You collect that sort of thing, too?

Of course, mine is just from the internet in general rather than comics, but still.

Good to know I'm not the only one. :)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119722 on: March 23, 2017, 07:21:37 pm »

Main character syndrome

*cough*
Best meme.
Someome made a game out of that, even.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119723 on: March 23, 2017, 07:22:24 pm »

Main character syndrome

*cough*

tbh, i think there'd be a good short story of like. a character in a novel or film knows that they are destined to do that and only really does so because 'the narrative' tells them to. they're apathetic about the thing, as anyone they grow attached to will inevitably get themselves killed to save them. etc.

I mean, if it's been done, lemme know. I mean, the idea sounds shit and could result in Mary Sue-ish 'i wish i was normal instead of badass' but whatever :P

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #119724 on: March 23, 2017, 07:27:32 pm »

Main character syndrome

*cough*

tbh, i think there'd be a good short story of like. a character in a novel or film knows that they are destined to do that and only really does so because 'the narrative' tells them to. they're apathetic about the thing, as anyone they grow attached to will inevitably get themselves killed to save them. etc.

I mean, if it's been done, lemme know. I mean, the idea sounds shit and could result in Mary Sue-ish 'i wish i was normal instead of badass' but whatever :P
"This is the very sad story of the death of a man named Stanley."

But you might be served better by abandoning lame 4th walling and have something like a philosophical story where someone discovers undeniable proof of determinism and/or a way to view the future, becoming locked into their path that has existed since the foundation of time.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119725 on: March 23, 2017, 07:30:22 pm »

"i wish i was normal" isn't really mary sue-ish, imo
Black lives matter.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #119726 on: March 23, 2017, 07:32:16 pm »

Main character syndrome

*cough*
Best meme.
The Stanley Parable?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #119727 on: March 23, 2017, 07:33:37 pm »

Main character syndrome

*cough*
Best meme.
The Stanley Parable?
No. That game is commentary on the nature of games itself.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119728 on: March 23, 2017, 07:33:56 pm »

"i wish i was normal" isn't really mary sue-ish, imo

You would think that but let me just give you a little quote here:

"I am good at too many things, it is a freeken curse!"

Having a character wish to be normal, while highlighting how perfect they are... is typical Mary Sue fanfare.

This isn't Psycho 100 where the point was that the power the main character has... wasn't as important as everyone was pushing. That he couldn't obtain what he actually wanted through his powers, even while everyone insisted that was true (Which is to actually change and gain talents outside his powers). Which, of course, makes perfect sense in the series and is well framed... rather than being empty words and sentiments.

---

I'll put it this way... a VERY Mary Sue thing to do... is to make your character's flaws... advantages.

Mahouka for example has a main character whose weakness is that he has weak magical power.

In a typical GOOD anime such a character would find ways around said weakness through preparation and intelligent use of his limited powers.

What the anime ACTUALLY did was make his weak magic power completely irrelevant... because he can essentially cast hundreds of spells a second AND give a huge middle finger to the laws of magic AND physics through BS-ways.

All the while still INSISTING that his weakness was in fact a weakness worthy of feeling sympathy for. In spite not only it not affecting him, but his advantages make him far more competent and potent then anyone else (Basically the anime wants you to believe he is a Blind Swordsman... But in reality he is a Swordsman with bionic eyes)

(This anime/manga is the ULTIMATE unintentional parody to the point where you would SWEAR it is a parody... It MUST be a parody)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 07:42:42 pm by Neonivek »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #119729 on: March 23, 2017, 07:41:48 pm »

Main character syndrome

*cough*

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mist_(novel)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 7980 7981 [7982] 7983 7984 ... 11037