Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7815 7816 [7817] 7818 7819 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14451199 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #117240 on: January 26, 2017, 04:28:03 pm »

Oh, hey, the shitposting thread in Life Advice finally got nuked. I was wondering when that would happen.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117241 on: January 26, 2017, 04:51:15 pm »

Why has the advice of life been nuked? Last time I went there (about 400 years ago) it seemed pretty ok.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 04:55:20 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #117242 on: January 26, 2017, 05:36:48 pm »

RIP your hair, though ;_;  I say go for the dyes, make the most of this!  Having pink hair was actually a lot of fun!  I kept forgetting about it, which led to people being impressed by how confidently I wore it XD
And colored fringes can look really neat...

I do not currently have a fringe to color. There is, like, 10 mm of harsh hair on the top of my temple and even less on the sides and back.
And I didn't quite like colored fringes on other people when I saw them. Just not my thing.
Anyhow, waiting until after sunday with that whole business, because reasons.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117243 on: January 26, 2017, 05:47:05 pm »

One of my coworkers found a pepper spray gun* among the items he was sorting. What does he do? He test fires it into the air. We almost had to evacuate the production area. Technically did, because it was break time anyway. Some of us, myself and my sister included, were still coughing hours later.

*Pretty sure this is one of the items we're not allowed to accept as donation, let alone sell it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117244 on: January 26, 2017, 06:15:34 pm »

Dear writers: An observable and measurable phenomena isn't anti-science or anti-logic no matter what it is called.

Because here is the difference between what a REAL scientist would do and what a fictional scientist would do.

A REAL scientist would seek to understand the phenomenon and conduct experiments to measure, quantify, and categorize the phenomenon.

The fictional scientist would immediately declare that because this phenomenon doesn't match their definition of science or logic... that either it must not be scientific or logical... OR that science and logic are inherently wrong.

Your not Arcanum where the principles of INVENTION (and called science) and magic are hostile to each other.

---

What prompted this, THIS time? Silly guy went "I am a scientist I don't believe in ghosts" in dungeons and dragons... Where ghosts are sort of a scientific fact.

In setting he would look like a total moron... But the person probably thought he was writing batman.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 06:17:51 pm by Neonivek »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #117245 on: January 26, 2017, 06:33:36 pm »

Please don't remind me. I've been seeing too many arguments about THIS WON'T WORK BECAUSE IT BREAKS ALL KNOWN LAWS OF PHYSICS and conveniently forget the "known laws" part.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #117246 on: January 26, 2017, 06:48:33 pm »

Under any remotely sane system of magic, competent practitioners are for all intents and purposes scientists or proto-scientists. The only way you can get away with it being otherwise is if the system is fundamentally chaotic and arbitrary. Magic is just a word for things that ignorant people don't understand.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117247 on: January 26, 2017, 06:58:45 pm »

Dear writers: An observable and measurable phenomena isn't anti-science or anti-logic no matter what it is called.

Because here is the difference between what a REAL scientist would do and what a fictional scientist would do.

A REAL scientist would seek to understand the phenomenon and conduct experiments to measure, quantify, and categorize the phenomenon.

The fictional scientist would immediately declare that because this phenomenon doesn't match their definition of science or logic... that either it must not be scientific or logical... OR that science and logic are inherently wrong.

Your not Arcanum where the principles of INVENTION (and called science) and magic are hostile to each other.

---

What prompted this, THIS time? Silly guy went "I am a scientist I don't believe in ghosts" in dungeons and dragons... Where ghosts are sort of a scientific fact.

In setting he would look like a total moron... But the person probably thought he was writing batman.

It seems the "scientist" has been given the script which used to be given to the Christian priest character; now magic is heresy against science instead of Christianity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #117248 on: January 26, 2017, 07:36:31 pm »

---

Wait, wait, was this one of the D&D spinoff books, or was this guy playing a game with real people and announced that his char didn't believe in ghosts?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #117249 on: January 26, 2017, 07:59:50 pm »

One of my coworkers found a pepper spray gun* among the items he was sorting. What does he do? He test fires it into the air. We almost had to evacuate the production area. Technically did, because it was break time anyway. Some of us, myself and my sister included, were still coughing hours later.

*Pretty sure this is one of the items we're not allowed to accept as donation, let alone sell it.

It is a (relatively) easy mistake to make, I imagine. I thought the part that hurt was only the actual spray. I can see how he thought it would be alright, if he did not aim it at anyone. Not a good idea at all, though. Not at all, particularly the ones filled with sterner stuff. Odd thing to see appear in a donation box.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117250 on: January 26, 2017, 08:07:30 pm »

You mean that's the model of how a scientist would optimally behave.  Scientists are human like everyone else, though, and even when they should know better, very often actually will take a hostile, close-minded approach to some novel concept.  Often, this is actually reasonable as a general purpose nonsense filter, but it can degenerate into rigidity and behavior that ignores actual evidence the older idea is actually flawed or outright wrong.

At its worst, it takes an entire generation dying off before a new concept reaches acceptance.

Fictional scientists may be more inclined to this kind of deliberately dumb behavior, especially if they're in some villainous role.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117251 on: January 26, 2017, 08:09:58 pm »

It is a (relatively) easy mistake to make, I imagine. I thought the part that hurt was only the actual spray. I can see how he thought it would be alright, if he did not aim it at anyone. Not a good idea at all, though. Not at all, particularly the ones filled with sterner stuff. Odd thing to see appear in a donation box.
According to the manager, we've had people donate firearms and other weapons.

...Which reminds me, that manager, after the incident, was walking around with what was most likely a toy gun, but one of those that looked real enough that I'd probably get away with doing a take-down if he waved it in my general direction.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117252 on: January 26, 2017, 08:11:58 pm »

If these scientists were meant to appear to be foolish book beaters.

But no they are meant to be the virtuous holders of logic and champions of science! Paladins among Paladins!

But even as Book Beaters they are particularly stupid

At LEAST people who deny fossils were ever Dinosaurs don't see a freeken T-Rex in front of them. These are "Scientists" who deny that everyday phenominons exist.

This is LITERALLY like if scientists in real life denied rainbows exist and said that rainbows are against the precepts of science and logic.

On what scale would you measure that foolishness? That is brain damaged levels of stupidity. Such a person could never have studied enough to become a scientist.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 08:13:37 pm by Neonivek »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #117253 on: January 26, 2017, 08:17:10 pm »

We human can be marvelous when we stop being idiotic assholes. That's how.

IF.

If.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #117254 on: January 26, 2017, 08:21:24 pm »

According to the manager, we've had people donate firearms and other weapons.

...Which reminds me, that manager, after the incident, was walking around with what was most likely a toy gun, but one of those that looked real enough that I'd probably get away with doing a take-down if he waved it in my general direction.

Is it an anonymous donation system? If it is, it might be people trying to quietly shift their pieces. Of course, they tend to be worth quite a lot, but I'd imagine it would be an attractive option if you are in a hurry. Toy guns are less murky, of course. It might be a kindred spirit to my old school teacher once, who did not approve of boys playing at war, and made a point of confiscating toy guns. Not very unreasonable at a school, granted, but she did it in the neighbourhood where she lived, as well. Sometimes, the kid in question would get it returned, other times, it was simply lost, possibly to a place like yours.
Pages: 1 ... 7815 7816 [7817] 7818 7819 ... 11040