Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7817 7818 [7819] 7820 7821 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14450607 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #117270 on: January 27, 2017, 05:43:04 am »

It'd be like a modern scientist disbelieving in, say, electricity.
Worse yet, in the scenario Neo proposed, this would be after a demonstration of electricity and being offered an explanation of how it works.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #117271 on: January 27, 2017, 06:10:16 am »

So it was off-time and I had timed out on my DTR card, packed up, left. Then after doing quite a few things and sprucing myself up for the ride home, I noticed I was missing my hairband. It was a cool day, so I was stuffed in a long sleeved jacket with tons o' pockets, and began searching the usual places for it--none in my pockets, or in my pants pockets!

Then I had to go back to work (and say Hi to everyone else again before saying goodbye again because I can), and search the areas I was recently in...in a very shy way because it's embarrassing at your new workplace :P (It's just me and our culture here) despite everyone being friendly and awesome.

Cue 5 minutes of subtle non-discreet searching until I dug under the desk and reached out to check a stack of files...and saw my hairband around my tiny wrist.

Apparently the thickness of the jacket + thin wrists and the cuffs reaching my hands = 'can't feel that hairband :3'
And then I left all blushy after saying goodbye to all the folks around (counselors/student development facilitators, etc). :I Although that's me feeling that heat on the cheeks (apparently I didn't know what blushing was post-highschool :V who'd be thinking that!).

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #117272 on: January 27, 2017, 06:20:51 am »

Car is unfortunately a total loss after looking at it in the daylight, salvage value was pitiful, and it is going to be very difficult to save up enough for a down payment on a new one. As unattractive as the notion is, I may have to start considering moving back home to get my finances back in order.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117273 on: January 27, 2017, 06:44:52 am »

Hope you get your finances together man, losing a car is pretty shitty when you rely on it so much.

I'm waiting a couple that is seeking divorce to come here today so we can talk out the terms of the hopefuly amicable divorce, but its damn annoying. Every single time they get together in the same room, something pops up and the whole negotiation breaks down. Hell, if they want to litigate, fine, I'll take whoever pays me more, but all of this would've been solved already if they weren't being so damn childish about the whole thing.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117274 on: January 27, 2017, 06:55:12 am »

That's really sad.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117275 on: January 27, 2017, 07:56:51 am »

What prompted this, THIS time? Silly guy went "I am a scientist I don't believe in ghosts" in dungeons and dragons... Where ghosts are sort of a scientific fact.

In setting he would look like a total moron... But the person probably thought he was writing batman.
The funny thing is, mechanically, he could have a solid understanding of magic (spellcraft, and knowledge  (arcana)) yet have no idea ghosts exist. If he has no knowledge  (religion) skill and hasn't encountered them in the past, it could be very appropriate. This is a system where illusion spells and other magic traps are ridiculously common. This isn't like disbelieving magic or the gods, it's one kind of undead.

Even face to face, it's not weird to hypothesize an illusion or ethereal-form spell, and test that theory.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #117276 on: January 27, 2017, 08:53:49 am »

Naturally, best fun is to make sure you've house ruled it such that everything that breaks an illusion or works against an ethereal-form spell, is also effective against ghosts. Possibly the reverse, too. Make it so it's functionally impossible to determine they exist through experimentation. Then you can have a scientist character that is absolutely convinced ghosts do not exist, and cannot be persuaded otherwise because every sort of verification they'd trust is working as supporting evidence of their belief. And, of course, ghosts actually exist. Maybe run a PC as one, for extra giggles.

"Look, I know you've been a valuable and contributing member of our party, Sirbo, but I'm afraid you've managed to confuse yourself as to what you are. As you can clearly see, you're a self-perpetuating seventh circle illusion spell. It's rather fascinating, actually, especially how your matrix has managed to deceive itself regarding its own nature, but I'm afraid ghosts just aren't a thing."

E: And yes, if it slipped by, this scenario has a ghost adventurer called Sir Boo. It has an accent, though, so everyone thinks its name is Sirbo.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 08:57:27 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117277 on: January 27, 2017, 09:27:44 am »

There are people in Star Wars that think the force is total bull, but there's still jedi and sith running around.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #117278 on: January 27, 2017, 09:40:19 am »

There are people in Star Wars that think the force is total bull, but there's still jedi and sith running around.

Well yes, but they usually change their minds soon enough, as Force evangelism is of the QED sort. Case in point...

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117279 on: January 27, 2017, 09:44:43 am »

In star wars a bunch of dweebs who aren't even directly operating in unison with the republic can somehow mount a resistance against a fucking GALACTIC EMPIRE, while said empire spend a bajillion resources to build some giant space cannon thing just for it to be easily destroyed by a single fighter, so I'm pretty sure anything goes in star wars.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #117280 on: January 27, 2017, 09:57:09 am »

I think it's more that all Star Wars main trilogies focus on Sith and Jedi, leading to them feeling a lot more commonplace than they actually are, namely one Sith in public view, one Sith behind the scenes and two Jedi in exile in the original trilogy, and that's basically it for the known galaxy.

I think you'd be easily forgiven for being a little skeptical of the magical powers that only one guy to your knowledge that you've probably never personally met is said to possess.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #117281 on: January 27, 2017, 10:22:49 am »

Especially if you happen to have one of those tree rat things as a pet. "Force? What force? My little flufflewump sees no force."
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117282 on: January 27, 2017, 11:08:43 am »

In the original trilogy it hasn't been all that long since the old Republic days (about 20 years judging by Luke's age) when there were tons of Jedi running around and they were a major political force though. You'd think that most people would at least have been aware of their existence even if they hadn't personally met one.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #117283 on: January 27, 2017, 11:42:22 am »

Even in the OR days, Jedi were probably relatively rare. If there were a hundred million Jedi (likely far, far too high from what we see on film), that would still be a tiny, tiny number on the scale of a full galaxy. For that matter, considering that the capital of the Republic is a city-planet that likely has a population in the high billions (or more), that's a small number by the standards of just a couple of star systems. Outside of the area around the Jedi Temple, most people will never have met one, and know about them only from stories and news programs. Give these people twenty years of unending "The Jedi were frauds that tried to turn the Republic into their puppet" propaganda, and it isn't all that unlikely that people would think them a myth.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #117284 on: January 27, 2017, 11:49:01 am »

Especially if you happen to have one of those tree rat things as a pet. "Force? What force? My little flufflewump sees no force."

You mean the ysalamiri?
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway
Pages: 1 ... 7817 7818 [7819] 7820 7821 ... 11040