Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7711 7712 [7713] 7714 7715 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14494356 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #115680 on: December 21, 2016, 05:39:16 pm »

Reading through some older discussion articles on the World Of Tanks and War Thunder forums, and I really cannot understand why so many people seem to think "turret" has an N in it. I know a lot of people who pronounce "wash" as "warsh", but they still spell it right, and when folks use "taunt" when they mean "taut" they're at least using a word that actually exists.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115681 on: December 21, 2016, 05:41:27 pm »

Sorry I cannot seem to wrap my head around where the N would appear in turret...

I've heard it as torret... tarret, and turrot... But... Where does that N fit? Turn net? Turrent?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #115682 on: December 21, 2016, 05:44:48 pm »

Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115683 on: December 21, 2016, 05:48:19 pm »

Sorry I cannot seem to wrap my head around where the N would appear in turret...

I've heard it as torret... tarret, and turrot... But... Where does that N fit? Turn net? Turrent?

Confusion from torrent maybe?

It's also plausible there's some foriegn language speakers, but um, yeah, I'm not sure either.

Turrent?

Constantly.

torrent, turrent, I could see where that comes from, but it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #115684 on: December 21, 2016, 05:50:19 pm »

What the fuck is this and what wrong videos have I watched for it to get recommended to me?
Well, youtube's recommended this to me.

The thing is, I've listened to over 10 minutes of it.

I really enjoy anime memes and reviews but I don't actually watch anime...
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #115685 on: December 21, 2016, 05:52:44 pm »

Well, turrent does at least look a lot like it could be a real word.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115686 on: December 21, 2016, 06:20:34 pm »

-snip-

Honestly I know a lot of people support this... and I know "I" seem like the insensitive person here.

But I just flat out do not like rewriting characters for the sole purpose of the political necessities of the day. It feels disrespectful to the character and on an even deeper level it feels like blatant tokenism... It reminds me of all those people these people INSISTED had learning disabilities in order to give LD children heroes when, in fact, most of them didn't and it came off as extremely fake.

But then if you don't like it... It is because "You don't like 'insert whatever the person was replaced with'".

Don't get me wrong though. I don't mean expansion or changes in general... Just the politically charged ones or the ones that stink of tokenism.

-snap-

Hmm, counterpoint. I don't really see the harm in representing a character differently than in past adaptations... especially when used to address whitewashed media, sausage parties, etc. I agree, there's ways to do it badly, or ways to be shitty about it as a creator... but there's also a majority of cases where it doesn't make a lick of difference, apart from making the cast a bit more diverse.

For starters, a lot of non-visual media like books (and even more stylized visual media) often don't specify Race or Identity. In cases like this, the details of a character are free to be interpreted by the audience, and by anyone adapting the work into a visual medium. I've seen performances of Shakespeare that gender-swapped a character or two, or even took the only black character and made them white, and took all the white characters and made them people of color. Sometimes this is done because you want a specific actor in a specific role, sometimes it's used to make a statement, and sometimes it's just to add representation of non-white or non-cis or non-male characters. All of these are important and helpful!

If we're talking about adaptations, those are constantly changed from source material anyway, often drastically shifting the tone, reconstructing a character, etc. In cases like this, changing a character's physical traits is not even a thing, even if completely changes the character. Which, in most cases, it doesn't. If Superman can be redesigned as a Soviet Communist Superhero, a stage adaptation of Harry Potter can have a Black Hermione without people freaking out. Batman could just as easily be from a wealthy Korean tech-industry family as he could be or the heir of an American military-industrial fortune. Batman could even be bi or gay without otherwise changing his character at all; if his old love interests were important, you might redesign them as Male, or even tell a story where he's lying to himself by staying with them. Whatever is important to your reboot, or tells a good story.

You could call that kind of representation Tokenism, but gender, ethnic, and identity representation is actually a problem in media that needs to be addressed... and when you're dealing with old media, often that means changing things. Even if it's only a superficial change, it's still important. Slight tangent, but for the sake of perspective: Linko

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #115687 on: December 21, 2016, 07:46:52 pm »

Yeah, I get regional dialects where extra sounds make their way into the spoken language (or, for that matter, extant sounds are deleted), I've just never met anyone who wasn't borderline illiterate that stuck those extra sounds (or removed missing ones) into the written version except to emphasize the particular accent.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115688 on: December 21, 2016, 07:52:10 pm »

"It's ridiculous that all the Democrats are throwing tantrums over how Trump won the election.
"If Hillary had won instead then the Republicans would likely be doing the same thing.
"HILLARY IS THE DEVIL"
Welp, there's a point proven.

Yeah. I mean, my dad would probably be pretty outspoken about it. While he doesn't talk about politics all that often, as I don't recall anything from either of Obama's terms besides 'i don't think he's a very good president' and stuff. It's just strange how people can be so hypocritical and not even recognize it.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #115689 on: December 21, 2016, 09:58:52 pm »

I have gradually come to realize that there is a widespread failure to understand what the scientific community, and physicists in particular, mean when they say "Thing X is impossible". See, a large portion of the populace, and especially the internet, seem to think think when scientists say "Thing X is impossible" they mean either "Thing X is really hard to do and nobody has found a way yet" or "We dogmatically refuse to entertain the possibility of Thing X! HEIL EINSTEIN! AMEN!"

When they actually mean "It is currently believed that if it was possible for Thing X to occur, the universe would not be able to work in the way we have consistently observed it to work".
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115690 on: December 21, 2016, 11:07:59 pm »

I remember scientists saying that it was impossible to see cell organelles in detail with a microscope, then bamm, the electron microscope is invented. I remember scientist saying it was impossible to artificially put nitrogen from the air back into the soil due to too much energy being required to separate the bonds in nitrogen gas, then bamm! The haber process was invented and we got synthetic fertilizer.

The point I'm trying to make is that scientists have said certain things were impossible only to then be proven utterly wrong. Usually what happens is that people find ways around limitations while still keeping the principles behind them intact. With the microscope example, science said it was impossible to make a lens that could see cell organelles in detail (which they then used to falsely conclude that you couldn't make a microscope that could do that), so a guy invented a microscope that doesn't use lenses. With the haber process, by using pressure and catalysts, we were able to lower the energy requirements required to turn nitrogen into a form that could be used as fertilizer.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #115691 on: December 21, 2016, 11:18:58 pm »

It's also worth noting that those are things which had examples in nature. Cell organelles do actually interact with light, and are as such visible. Nitrogen fixing is a thing, legumes do it all the time.

I'm mostly thinking in terms of FTL, perpetual motion, and the like.

And of course, I'm not saying science can't be wrong. :V
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115692 on: December 21, 2016, 11:52:49 pm »

Okay, that's reasonable then. It wasn't very clear in the original post.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #115693 on: December 22, 2016, 12:26:49 am »

I have a regrettable tendency to communicate vaguely until it's pointed out, sorry. :V
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115694 on: December 22, 2016, 12:32:26 am »

Just had a weirdly pleasant phone conversation with the girlfriend of the horribly incompetent drug dealer I lived with earlier this year, who as some of you may remember caused me no end of problems.

I was mainly calling her to see if she still lived with the guy, so I could track him down about the old power bills, but ended up having a nice chat instead. Seems like we're actually kinda friends... crazy stuff. Good to hear that she's apparently gotten away from that douchebag now, and somehow managed to keep up her studies throughout all that unpleasantness. Impressive.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 7711 7712 [7713] 7714 7715 ... 11037