Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7710 7711 [7712] 7713 7714 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14494300 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #115665 on: December 20, 2016, 11:48:42 pm »

Being jumped off like a dead car doesn't make much sense for a hydrogen fuel cell powered robot either. :V
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #115666 on: December 20, 2016, 11:56:54 pm »

It does if you consider that the hydrogen fuel cell exists to produce electricity, which is what they'd actually be operating off of. So they'd have a mid or short term electrical batterie or three.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #115667 on: December 20, 2016, 11:59:36 pm »

With something like a full replica android you'd probably want to stick close to the original recipe and have them run off of glucose. Then they can just eat like a regular person for power.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #115668 on: December 21, 2016, 12:00:12 am »

Well, I mean, hydrogen cells are storage. They aren't self-charging to the best of my knowledge. Jump starting cars works because the engine just needs a few successful ignition cycles to begin generating the electricity to ignite itself, I don't believe that to be the case with hydrogen cells.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115669 on: December 21, 2016, 12:35:22 am »

Yeah, I think that in the movies at least it was intended to be more like flipping a switch than actually restarting a drained system.  Kind of like a computer: you can turn one on without a power button if you short two pins together on the motherboard.

So, they rewired Ash's head onto his torso and restarted him by shorting some wires together.  Or with Bishop maybe they shut him down entirely for transit so she had to turn him back on that way.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #115671 on: December 21, 2016, 04:53:05 am »

That's not how you spell "right".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #115672 on: December 21, 2016, 06:05:13 am »

Oh Prometheus is supposed to be a prelude to the Aliens series? I've never watched the Aliens movies, except for that Predator one, though the xenomorph wasn't in that one (Arnold Schwarzenegger was though).

I've seen bits of the movies though, but never watched the whole thing.

I also haven't seen any Star Trek movies except that one with the Jedi.

But no, sarcasm aside, I can't tell if you're joking or deceived by the alien vs predator movies.
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115673 on: December 21, 2016, 09:08:52 am »

Oh Prometheus is supposed to be a prelude to the Aliens series? I've never watched the Aliens movies, except for that Predator one, though the xenomorph wasn't in that one (Arnold Schwarzenegger was though).

I've seen bits of the movies though, but never watched the whole thing.

I also haven't seen any Star Trek movies except that one with the Jedi.

But no, sarcasm aside, I can't tell if you're joking or deceived by the alien vs predator movies.

Oh, the Predator thing was a different franchise and the Alien vs Predator movies are crossovers, didn't realize that.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115674 on: December 21, 2016, 09:47:00 am »

Well WTF.  I got banned from an irc server I've been using for like five years without issues. Of course, irc servers, there's not that much documentation and what there is laying around the internet is about 15 years old and unfinished, so I'm not sure how to get in contact with the server admin and figure out what happened. I guess I suspect that I got caught in some sorta mass banning of ip ranges or something >.>

Got damn. I really hope I can find someone who can do something about this.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115675 on: December 21, 2016, 10:12:34 am »

Was it in an irc network? You may (or may not) have only been banned from a single server in that network, in which case connecting to a different server on the same network would work. If you were banned from the entire network, they usually have websites and you may be able to contact someone through that.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115676 on: December 21, 2016, 10:26:34 am »

Yeah, it was the whole network. I tried a few other servers, no luck :/

I found a forum for the network (at least I hope so.) but like all most irc things it's got about one post every two years. So I'm not sure how much hope I should hold out that anyone is still there.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115677 on: December 21, 2016, 10:47:43 am »

Well, good luck.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115678 on: December 21, 2016, 05:06:07 pm »

You know... with a growing dog person hybrid population we need more heroes for these people.

I propose we rewrite Lord of the Rings and change Frodo from a Hobbit to a Dog Person Hybrid.

Also his best friend shall be a cat person, so we can support Dog - Catperson interspecies relationships.

---

Honestly I know a lot of people support this... and I know "I" seem like the insensitive person here.

But I just flat out do not like rewriting characters for the sole purpose of the political necessities of the day. It feels disrespectful to the character and on an even deeper level it feels like blatant tokenism... It reminds me of all those people these people INSISTED had learning disabilities in order to give LD children heroes when, in fact, most of them didn't and it came off as extremely fake.

But then if you don't like it... It is because "You don't like 'insert whatever the person was replaced with'".

Don't get me wrong though. I don't mean expansion or changes in general... Just the politically charged ones or the ones that stink of tokenism.

Which is ODD because I've seen the same thing happen to a single character twice... and one time I thought it was clever, and another time I thought it was annoying. So I asked myself what was the difference between them?
-The first: The character was drastically different because that was the point. Not only was it a misdirection but the character said that people basically rewrote who he is.
-The second: Was part of an initiative to make the character more inclusive by changing it, insisted the change needed to be done, then paraded people who disagreed as discriminatory.

Both were the same character changed in the exact same way...

Or we can even go further to two other characters, separate this time... and why it occurred

-1st: They wanted to tell a different story with a different framing. They used stereotypes to an extent but the focus was on shared experiences.
-2nd: They wanted the person to be a scary gangster and thought that stereotype would be scarier! BOO!

---

Wait... Actually when I think about it...

My ENTIRE problem is just with the idea that it HAD to be done and people should just accept it...

When... They have been doing it for YEARS and I didn't care UNTIL someone did that. It was only until it was turned into a political issue that I found it repugnant...

Why is that?

Why would I not care about a movie where they make Batman gay and have a relationship with another guy (as long as it isn't Robin or Alfred...).

But if they were like "Ohh, to promote gay rights, we are making Batman gay" or "Well Batman was always very gay, look at robin" or something along those lines... and suddenly I am pissed off.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 05:13:49 pm by Neonivek »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #115679 on: December 21, 2016, 05:32:02 pm »

"Well Batman was always very gay, look at robin" or something along those lines... and suddenly I am pissed off.

but seriously, look at him!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 7710 7711 [7712] 7713 7714 ... 11037