Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7612 7613 [7614] 7615 7616 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14489659 times)

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #114195 on: November 25, 2016, 04:02:24 pm »

'No, you may not, Microsoft, go away!'

I'm glad kant (edge) does not appear very frequently in conversation. The blasted thing would have gone wild with the possibilities.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114196 on: November 25, 2016, 04:26:07 pm »

I hate the taste of reheated things so much I typically eat things cold rather then microwave leftovers.

There are few exceptions to this... and even then it is only because they taste so nasty cold.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #114197 on: November 25, 2016, 04:27:52 pm »

lits called an oven or microwave oven bro
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #114198 on: November 25, 2016, 04:58:45 pm »

I tend to separate real social justice envelope pushers from the ditto warriors. One wants a very agreeable sort of change, the other are in need of something to fight and shout for. The former would challenge and discuss cases of negative cultural appropriation (like, say, an advert for burglar alarms featuring a hurtful depiction of stereotyped gypsies, for instance), while the latter would slap a great notice boards on any non-anglosaxon culture expressions saying "Whities may not touch". Et cetera, et cetera...

(I do wonder where the Souls series sit with the latter; it's appropriation, but I suppose its good or ill depends on how Europeans and Japanese are in relation to each other on their scale. Of course, I bring up the Souls series because it's an excellent example of how fiddling with other cultures can create something great)

I do think that the need for a cause, a banner and a struggle is one of the greatest needs in a human being. Some people, for various reasons, need it more than others, of course, but it's a common need. That was what that whole GG business was mainly about, as far as I could see. Two blocks of very young people, attaching themselves to a cause and joining the struggle. It's also a large question of identity, finding and joining a cause, particularly when you are young and working to chisel out an identity. I did that. Most of us no doubt did.

Well, moving on... Batterfield 1. I don't know. The whole skin thing is not at all as awful as it could be.

I have decided not to buy it, though. Now that I have had a look. The Great War setting seems mismanaged, schizophrenic. As if they couldn't decide if they wanted swashbuckling 1910's action or another sombre monument to the horrid waste or futility of that war, so they said "why not both?". Historical where it suits, not historical where that suits. It would've been so easy to balance it. The Public has become rather used to alternative realities and history scenarios, they could've just made one up. Then, they could've had room for everything they pleased, without the setting and the mood beginning to chafe. Plus, with EA recently back to locking down people's games behind their backs, I don't want to give them the tiniest bit of support.

I wanted to lope people's ears off from my charging steed. But not enough to forego my admittadly petty principles.

Eep, I missed this, and I'd like to say that I agree with pretty much everything you said. I suppose some of us, myself included, may not make it clear enough: we like our fellow progressives. We're down with all the [case 1] situations, that sort of thing tends to be reasonable and justifiable. It's the [case 2] stuff being treated as [case 1] material and forced down our throats with authoritarian zeal that sounds the tyranny alarms and pisses me off for being loony tunes levels of ideological stupidity. Syncretism is a thing, yanno? Individuals from one culture appreciating or using elements of another in entertainment, art, development of new cultural practices, &c. is not bigotry or whatever unless such is implied ipso facto (like, say, with blackface minstrel shows).

DaS is a great example of why cultural syncretism tends to be a good thing. Moreover, it's inevitable, natural, and nigh-universal. You know how one of the common responses to cultural appropriation whining is to turn around and say, "Okay then, people from [cultural/racial/ethnic group] can't use [European cultural or technological artifact] either!" It's all patently absurd, especially when we remember that pretty much all developments are the result of the spread of ideas and practices through time and space, and there's nothing wrong with being interested in other cultures and their practices (quite the opposite, I'd say), only when a deliberate effort is made to make a group/practice/whatever look evil or idiotic for some dumb reason. Even unintentional ignorance or offense isn't really worth more than a joke or fifty million (take Evangelion's use of Christian symbols and ideas).

The identity thing is what I've been saying all along, if in slightly less positive terms. The "SJW" crowd, though they've certainly made their own bed, are also a product of the delusions of past generations (special snowflake syndrome and mandatory university + debt are both on the hands of their parents) and the softness of Western society: this is why I take so much pleasure in ripping into the "white privilege" folks, they're so privileged themselves that they can spend all day long fucking around on their $600 phones or $2500 facebook machines whining about how some people have it so easy (double irony points when they're white themselves).

Basically it's in large part that this generation have been taught that they're all super speshul and have a total dearth of serious problems, and then collided with fringe leftists who venerate victimhood. That's the heart of SJW culture: the desire for self-fulfillment twisted to an extreme by their parents, and an ideologically twisted perspective which makes victims out to be the most important people in society, combined with a total lack of things to make them victims. Thus, they have to invent or inflate problems to make themselves feel victimized to attain personal fulfillment. I'd be more sorry for them if they weren't trampling on actual victims or setting progressivism back by decades in the process. You don't erase inequality or build understanding by continually trying to force people to hate and distrust each other, by attempting to racially segregate society again (fuckin' seriously), or by passing off pre-modern perspectives on women (as fragile emotionally brittle porcelain dolls) as feminism.

At least that's my lazy pop-psych interpretation. I'm mostly just fed up and want them to go away so that we can get back to grinding away at the actual fascists and trying in vain to do something about the atrocious state of labor and the environment. That, and a little scared about what would happen if they actually managed to get their dystopian double-speak and thought policing all the way in the door of the halls of power.

And yeah, one thing people of all types can agree with, EA a shit.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114199 on: November 25, 2016, 05:05:15 pm »

And there are lits of them. that's very important too.
One wheel short of a wagon

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #114200 on: November 25, 2016, 05:16:58 pm »

Speaking of, emojis are now alt-right hate symbols.

Though the "lol SJWs don't actually exist IRL" thing is about as full of shit as "lol the entire alt-right are just people trolling on the internet for shits and giggles".
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 05:22:07 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #114201 on: November 25, 2016, 05:29:32 pm »

Speaking of, emojis are now alt-right hate symbols.

Though the "lol SJWs don't actually exist IRL" thing is about as full of shit as "lol the entire alt-right are just people trolling on the internet for shits and giggles".
It's amazing. When you think 2016 is all out of crazy shit to hand out, it goes on overdrive.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114202 on: November 25, 2016, 05:31:23 pm »

I'm not 100% SJW exist beyond the occasional rare and loud person.  I hear constant obnoxious complaining about them on the internet, but I hardly ever actually hear them myself.  Kinda makes me suspect its just people making a big deal about nothing because its the popular thing to do.

Also, I think if SJW is supposed to be an insult, I think they should have come up with a less badass label. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 05:33:45 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #114203 on: November 25, 2016, 05:37:57 pm »

The amusing part is that, if anything, I am fairly conservative, or at least that is what I'd imagine. But then again, I am quite unfaithful to what seems to be conservative creed today. Equal treatment of genders and sexualities, a dependable web of social security and keeping finances stable and just as beholden to their actions as ordinary citizens, those things just seems... Sensible. As is environmental work. The current way of the world is eroding our habitat, and it will be a very difficult time to save what we can, but it needs to be done. Sensible, robust. Not setting out on fanciful voyages on the seas of speculation, but responding to a problem with that is reasonably proven to work. What is not reasonable, but appears to have become conservative, is to pretend that nothing is happening at all, that we can continue jogging along as we are. That sort of sleepwalking into trouble is neither responsible nor sensible, which I think ought to be core questions for anyone wishing to govern. And those are just a few examples. It just irritates me how the modern, bastardised brand seem to still think they can consider themselves the sensible option.

Of course, what I think is sensible is unique to me, but I wish there was more emphasis on sense, generally and regardless of party, and less pathos and disgraceful rowing in the modern climate...

I do agree, I believe the current "SJW" miasma is a result of an unreasonably mass of sheltered upbringings, coupled with a need for a cause, amplified with the ease to find closed groups and to mass communicate. Of course, a large chunk of the militant anti-miasma is probably fuelled by the same...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 05:43:34 pm by Silverthrone »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #114204 on: November 25, 2016, 05:43:23 pm »

The amusing part is that, if anything, I am fiarly conservative, or at least that is what I'd imagine. But then again, I am quite unfaithful to what seems to be conservative creed today. Equal treatment of genders and sexualities, a dependable web of social security and keeping finances stable and just as beholden to their actions as ordinary citizens, those things just seems... Sensible. As is environmental work. The current way of the world is eroding our habitat, and it will be a very difficult time to save what we can, but it needs to be done. Sensible, robust. Not setting out on fanciful voyages on the seas of speculation, but responding to a problem with that is reasonably proven to work. What is not reasonable, but appears to have become conservative, is to pretend that nothing is happening at all, that we can continue jogging along as we are. That sort of sleepwalking into trouble is neither responsible nor sensible, which I think ought to be core questions for anyone wishing to govern. And those are just a few examples. It just irritates me how the modern, bastardised brand seem to still think they can consider themselves the sensible option.

Of course, what I think is sensible is unique to me, but I wish there was more emphasis on sense, generally and regardless of party, and less pathos and disgraceful rowing in the modern climate...

I do agree, I believe the current "SJW" miasma is a result of an unreasonably mass of sheltered upbringings, coupled with a need for a cause, amplified with the ease to find closed groups and to mass communicate. Of course, a large chunk of the militant anti-miasma is probably fuelled by the same...
Well, congratulations, you're a liberal now. :P By the current definitions and scales, most people would call those moderate at the rightest.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114205 on: November 25, 2016, 05:45:43 pm »

A unreasonably large mass of sheltered upbringings that have been enabled and fed with decades of edgy academics that crafted their entire carreers stuff like historical revisionism and supposed social critics because, unless you have been living a (non-academic) rock for the last 30 years, the entire humanities fields have been filled to the brim with social critique for some legitimate reasons, but mostly because it has been ~en vogue~, IE the easiest way to become relevant.

The result is a whole bunch of people that truly do believe they're somehow doing something good when they go out and say that, for example, black students need to be separated from everyone else to make them safer, that halloween costumes are the worst thing since nazis and that modern science is somehow evil because it mostly spawned out of western civilization.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114206 on: November 25, 2016, 05:47:41 pm »

Well nice to see that society hasn't changed.

We STILL have the previous generation talking about how the current generation are good for nothing... with some of the current gens jumping in too.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #114207 on: November 25, 2016, 05:54:37 pm »

Oh, Lord and angels of grace... Of course, it could be worse. I would have added the caveat that my position on the scale is in relation to the vaguely European scale rather than the American, but that does not mean very much this day and age, the American scale is the scale. I'd rather be a libby labby lobstery liberal as they come, rather than a communist, and that would be quite the way left to fall.

But then again, I also believe that the death penality is woefully underappreciated and overcomplicated. That might balance things out.

We STILL have the previous generation talking about how the current generation are good for nothing... with some of the current gens jumping in too.

Of course they (or we, or however it is, it'd take some comparing of birth dates and a long discussion of which generation begins where to bone out) are not "good for nothing". For goodness sake. A small chunk of people that has been born vaguely at the same time being maladjusted does not mean everyone the same age are. The generation at the bottom of the ladder always get an undeserved clouting, but discussing what it could be that has led to a lot of young people adopting these strange attitudes is not the same as implying that they all have, or that they are useless, et cetera.

Edit: raking up the worst spelling mistakes, nothing to see. *hic*
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 05:59:17 pm by Silverthrone »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #114208 on: November 25, 2016, 05:55:59 pm »

If you want to have a bit of fun, go and find some translations of text from classical greece. You will eventually end up finding a speech or two about how the current generation does not respect their elders, are deviants, go against traditions out of spite, etc.

I'll post links, or at least source that and a few other things, later if people want me to. Right now I'm getting distracted when I should not.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #114209 on: November 25, 2016, 05:58:03 pm »

I'm not 100% SJW exist beyond the occasional rare and loud person.  I hear constant obnoxious complaining about them on the internet, but I hardly ever actually hear them myself.  Kinda makes me suspect its just people making a big deal about nothing because its the popular thing to do.

Also, I think if SJW is supposed to be an insult, I think they should have come up with a less badass label.
I did my undergrad work in a rural university in the South, in a county with one church for every 300ish people, and I got ranted at by more SJWs than evangelicals, for what it's worth (as someone who was openly atheistic and socially progressive). I'm in a profession well-populated by fellow leftists (and thus home to more than its share of SJWs), and I know several people who I am almost certain would gleefully leverage their institutional power to torpedo my career and academic progress if they knew my political views, to the point that I avoid voicing anything resembling a true opinion where it might get back to them; for comparison I felt totally comfortable arguing over the existence of God and the nature of free will with a baptist tenured professor in a class full of members of his congregation when I was eighteen. Anecdotal, of course. But it's like all politics: the loud obnoxious assholes aren't the majority, but they're the ones that get the most attention and have the most traction in the popular eye. When SJWs get to speak in front of the UN over a fabricated problem and have stories running in pretty much every major media outlet, it's disingenuous in the extreme to pretend that they don't exist or have influence.

Incidentally, the point of the label is the irony. It's the sort of thing embraced by the same type of self-aggrandizing jerk that call themselves activists because they harass people online and sign change.org petitions with fake names. It summarizes in a pretty phrase the exact core of the problem, people taking tiny bullshit and blowing it up to seem like the world rests on it.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 7612 7613 [7614] 7615 7616 ... 11037