Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7549 7550 [7551] 7552 7553 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14488780 times)

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #113250 on: November 11, 2016, 01:10:50 pm »

The original norse notion of elves were also spirits, according to my missing swedish blood fetishist linguistic freak friend. Dwarves were just a type of elf, and thus spirits as well.

Nononono, I'm pretty sure one of the Eddas covered dwarves, and they were considered to be actual critters of their own origin. It also listed a bunch of names of the first dwarves, some of which Mr. Tolkien graciously borrowed. Lemme go check.

E: Yep, dwarves are material creatures derived, in one way or another, from Ymir the primordial titan himself.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 01:15:06 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113251 on: November 11, 2016, 01:38:53 pm »

Whelp... I found out Hitler was popular with the Jews before... you know... stuff happened >_<

That is certainly a WTF...

I found it out looking for a retort to "Well if a woman votes for Trump, that means he can't be sexist" argument.

So I was like "Well, did Jews vote for Hitler?"

Apparently yeah.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #113252 on: November 11, 2016, 01:52:47 pm »

Welcome to humanity, mate. Point someone in the right direction in the right way and suddenly the concept of collateral damage and exactly what's going to get hit by it stops being something they recognize.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #113253 on: November 11, 2016, 01:56:40 pm »

Whelp... I found out Hitler was popular with the Jews before... you know... stuff happened >_<

That is certainly a WTF...

So I was like "Well, did Jews vote for Hitler?"

Apparently yeah.
I am pretty sure that "Jews supported Hitler" thing was mostly untrue and anecdotal at best, but eh...
I suppose it was because Jews were really ingenious and cunning, mostly bussiness men (I think that pre-Hitler vast majority of German lawyers were Jewish, same goes for bankers and jewelers and whatnot) and Hitler was good for bussiness. They also thought that either Hitler won't really end up like he claimed in Mein Kampf and if he does then the rest of the world will step up. The rest of the world (I'm not really going to bring up the preventive war plan of Poland that the world laughed at because it wasn't that popular here either tbh, since it was based on the Piłsudzki assumption that Hitler was nuts, at that was not that obvious at the time) was obviously perfectly fine with whatever Hitler was doing until they were personally threatened. By then, Hitler was already in their backyard using the BBQ to cook him some Jews.

I found it out looking for a retort to "Well if a woman votes for Trump, that means he can't be sexist" argument.
That argument is so flawed that I don't even know why you really need a retort to that.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #113254 on: November 11, 2016, 01:58:54 pm »

The Netherlands had (relative to population, not absolute, that'd be Poland which had by far the largest population of jews before WW2) the highest deportation and death rate for jews of all other countries. You want to know who helped make that possible?
Fellow Jews. The Joodse Raad (Jewish Council) in Amsterdam was instrumental in organizing it's fellow Jews into ghettos, and onto the trains. Although arguably, many of the Jewish Council genuinly believed that cooperating with the Germans would get them a ticket to emigrate to Palestine. But even when they knew that many of the deported were being sent to harsh labour camps, and rumours were of even worse, they still continued to cooperate, still believing the Germans would at least spare them, and those they put on special 'Palestine' lists.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 02:01:19 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #113255 on: November 11, 2016, 02:02:16 pm »

I don't want to sound racist or something, but that seems to be a theme when it came to jews. After all, Torquemada came from a family of Jewish converts himself. Hitler often used that argument as of why some of Jews are actually useful while some of his co-workers would want to see them all dead as fast as possible.
EDIT:
Also, Jesus. He talked about that too, though in that case the official story was that Jesus was not a Jew which is technically not bullshit, but practically makes no real sense.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 02:04:17 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #113256 on: November 11, 2016, 02:07:14 pm »

A shitton of things are described in old legends as spirits, though. Strigoi, for example, which in fantasy is often treated as just a kind of vampire, were more like partially corporal evil spirits in the original legend. Hell, vampires themselves were more like evil spirits originally, IIRC.

The original norse notion of elves were also spirits, according to my missing swedish blood fetishist linguistic freak friend. Dwarves were just a type of elf, and thus spirits as well. Draugr were also sometimes described as spirits (which could take corporal form).

So ye, tons of shit that we know today as undead were originally described as spirits.

Draugr and Strigoi were specifically the spirits of those that had once been alive, which is VERY important distinction. (As opposed to other forms of spirit, such as Ghouls, which were never traditionally alive)
Vampirism was originally more of a practice than a type of being. Spirits could be vampires, but so could witches. In one Basque legend the Basque elf analogues could also perform vampirism as well
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #113257 on: November 11, 2016, 02:08:37 pm »

It's a theme with any minority group, kot. Divide and conquer has been a basic tactic for dealing with people for a long, long time.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #113258 on: November 11, 2016, 02:09:52 pm »

I suppose it was because Jews were really ingenious and cunning, mostly bussiness men
While it is true that a lot of positions in law and banking were occupied by Jews, saying that they were mostly businessmen and cunning is the nazi propaganda of that time. Not saying that you're that, just that you're misinformed / drawing the wrong conclusion.
Jews were spread out over the rich and the poor trades, and the well educated and the illeterate just like any contemporary countrymen. The fact that they were overrepresented in some trades like law and, banking, but also lower end trades like musician or street vendor, was because of historical laws that forbade jews from working in certain 'protected' trades, or in some countries even forbade them from owning a business at all. Service industry jobs like lawyer, scientist, or banker were a logical alternative for those jews of higher education.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 02:12:44 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113259 on: November 11, 2016, 02:14:26 pm »

I tried to spell "Bajillion" a couple seconds ago. Autocorrect said it was wrong. I checked to see what it suggested and it changed it to "Bazillion". Thanks autocorrect.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #113260 on: November 11, 2016, 02:15:50 pm »

Eh, I guess? After all, Poland got sold by our own king to Russia during the Partitions because Catherine's tits were great, so there's that.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113261 on: November 11, 2016, 02:17:35 pm »

I tried to spell "Bajillion" a couple seconds ago. Autocorrect said it was wrong. I checked to see what it suggested and it changed it to "Bazillion". Thanks autocorrect.
The correct form is obviously brazillion.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #113262 on: November 11, 2016, 02:20:56 pm »

That was how much the Olympic Village in Rio cost?

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113263 on: November 11, 2016, 02:22:44 pm »

Obviously
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113264 on: November 11, 2016, 02:27:02 pm »

A shitton of things are described in old legends as spirits, though. Strigoi, for example, which in fantasy is often treated as just a kind of vampire, were more like partially corporal evil spirits in the original legend. Hell, vampires themselves were more like evil spirits originally, IIRC.
Draugr and Strigoi were specifically the spirits of those that had once been alive, which is VERY important distinction. (As opposed to other forms of spirit, such as Ghouls, which were never traditionally alive)
Vampirism was originally more of a practice than a type of being. Spirits could be vampires, but so could witches. In one Basque legend the Basque elf analogues could also perform vampirism as well
Only just found out that Strigoi are vampires.
Damn you Warhammer.
Had more to add here but can't remember. Something-something nosferatu.

The original norse notion of elves were also spirits, dwarves were just a type of elf, and thus spirits as well.
I'm pretty sure one of the Eddas covered dwarves, and they were considered to be actual critters of their own origin.
It's messed up, I think a product of generations of storycrafting among isolated kingdoms.
The svartalfr, dokkalfr and dwarfs may have been seperate critters all living together in svartalfheim, or been the same critters. The skalds didn't agree on any of it so how the heck are we supposed to get a clear idea.
Makes it more fun IMO.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 02:29:54 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 7549 7550 [7551] 7552 7553 ... 11037