Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7246 7247 [7248] 7249 7250 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14464859 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #108705 on: September 01, 2016, 04:08:50 pm »

Battlefield 1's beta. Not the server DDoSing, but the game itself.

"Hey guys let's make the next Buttholefield set in WWI!"
"Yeah but let's give everyone SMGs and automatic rifles because they're lazy shitheads who can't aim a bolt-action without a scope."
"Yeah!"

Also the one-man light tank can mount an autocannon which can fire canister shells. Literally armored automatic shotgun on treads.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #108706 on: September 01, 2016, 04:49:41 pm »

Mebibyte (Not misspelled!) vs Megabyte

1,000,000 bytes is NOT a useful measurement! The only person who could possibly think this was a good idea is someone who knows little to nothing about computers and how they work. When working with computers you need measurements that are powers of two, multiples of 8, or multiples of a power of two. There are good sound reasons for this (that I, as a programmer, understand perfectly, but that would take too long to explain here).

It is unsurprising that this poorly conceived unit was designed in 1998 and is still mostly unused today. Sadly it is used in the compression program I use on Linux. Imagine my surprise when I tell it to split into "1024MB volumes" and end up with something other than 1GB listed as the file size. (eg, the file browser uses the "old" unit definitions, and the compression program uses the "new, braindead" definitions)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108707 on: September 01, 2016, 04:52:30 pm »

Uh, no, it isn't. There's no legal limitation on mature video games. This isn't like with alcohol, where it actually is a good idea because you can get fucked from even one bad call.

This is something only done as company policies, and definitely not universal either.
I think Zangi is referring to lawsuits.
Frivolous lawsuits, this is Murrica.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108708 on: September 01, 2016, 05:06:40 pm »

In other news, muh girlfriend told me how she was on class and they were viewing the uni's collection of preserved corpses, and there was a hermaphrodite one, with the vaginal canal between the penis and the scrotum.

What an inconvenient place to have a vagina. :v

Inconvenient, but not necessarily surprising. Remember that the female clitoris is pretty much the same in structure as the shaft and head of the male penis, while the labia is much the same as the scrotum.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108709 on: September 01, 2016, 05:10:17 pm »

1,000,000 bytes is NOT a useful measurement! The only person who could possibly think this was a good idea is someone who knows little to nothing about computers and how they work. When working with computers you need measurements that are powers of two, multiples of 8, or multiples of a power of two. There are good sound reasons for this (that I, as a programmer, understand perfectly, but that would take too long to explain here).

It is unsurprising that this poorly conceived unit was designed in 1998 and is still mostly unused today. Sadly it is used in the compression program I use on Linux. Imagine my surprise when I tell it to split into "1024MB volumes" and end up with something other than 1GB listed as the file size. (eg, the file browser uses the "old" unit definitions, and the compression program uses the "new, braindead" definitions)
Yeah, SI can go bugger off away from our units...Though,the question is which is using what.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108710 on: September 01, 2016, 05:12:18 pm »

I remember when my high school informatics teacher told me that 1 GHz is 1024 MHz. What innocent days those were.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #108711 on: September 01, 2016, 05:13:51 pm »

See that's the thing though! Most non-programmer layman folk work in base 10, so it's useful for them.

The weird thing is, I can't imagine anyone like that using Linux, or compression programs... so the question is why that shit exists.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #108712 on: September 01, 2016, 05:14:09 pm »

"Yeah but let's give everyone SMGs and automatic rifles because they're lazy shitheads who can't aim a bolt-action without a scope."
"Yeah!"

Also the one-man light tank can mount an autocannon which can fire canister shells. Literally armored automatic shotgun on treads.
BUT I WANTED IT TO BE GOOD SO BADLY

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108713 on: September 01, 2016, 05:14:54 pm »

"Yeah!"

BUT I WANTED IT TO BE GOOD SO BADLY

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

...Is Verdun any good?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108714 on: September 01, 2016, 05:18:40 pm »

Actually the rot started back in the 1980s. You had the 360kb disk, the 720kb disk, all good so far. But then you had the 1.44MB floppy. Note that 720 x 2 = 1440. It's just a double-sided 720 (1440), except they knocked three zeros off it, and called it "1.44MB". The big irony here was the units that the "1.44" is in. The KBs are normal, 1024 bytes, but the MBs are 1000KBs, so it's "1MB = 1024 x 1000 Bytes". At the time me and other people tried to work out how they claimed it was 1.44MB because that made no sense any way you looked at it. I worked it out years later.

Memory manufacturers at least still use sane sizes, because you can't bullshit memory alignments, but harddrives are different. Things don't explode because of HDs not being the size they say they are.

The rot for hard-drives actually started with the marketing for the 4GB hard-drive. 1024^3 bytes is 4.29 billion bytes, so they marketed that as "4.3GB". After that they got looser and sloppier: HD sizes became more arbitrary, so they'd just round up to the nearest 1000. Given that, the actual megabytes can appear almost 10% lower than the HD manufacturer tries and tell you. One common thing is to blame Bill Gates for the 10% chunk of drive you "lost". This is an erroneous belief, but it's not one that the HD makers have any interest in correcting. The problem comes because Windows tells you the accurate size of the drive using 1024-based measurements.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 05:26:05 pm by Reelya »

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #108715 on: September 01, 2016, 05:20:41 pm »

See that's the thing though! Most non-programmer layman folk work in base 10, so it's useful for them.

The weird thing is, I can't imagine anyone like that using Linux, or compression programs... so the question is why that shit exists.

Because someone want to blindly conform to the "standards"? It's stupid, but that is how some idiots think (if it's standard I must do it).

(snip)

I suppose rot is inevitable, but it doesn't have to be formally codified.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108716 on: September 01, 2016, 05:29:45 pm »

"Yeah!"

I so badly wish I were surprised by this.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #108717 on: September 01, 2016, 05:35:28 pm »

Same deal with WWII shooters. "Hey, lets give all the germans STG44s, because bolt actions are sooo boring!" "If all the germans have STG44s we need to give all the americans BARs!" Until finally: "Let's just set the @$%@ game in modern times so we can give everyone assault rifles."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #108718 on: September 01, 2016, 05:47:41 pm »

It also does the old BF thing with making shotguns useless trash.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108719 on: September 01, 2016, 05:51:20 pm »

>:I shotguns are still useful you numbnuts

Join the shotgun preservation society today.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 7246 7247 [7248] 7249 7250 ... 11040