Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7077 7078 [7079] 7080 7081 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14474760 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #106170 on: July 19, 2016, 05:47:12 am »

I noticed a lone eurasian oystercatcher at small artificial pond in the middle of town today.
Double wtf. Firstly, they tend to come in groups.
Second, first time ever I saw one of those where I live. They usually stick to our coastal provinces. I felt sorry for the bugger though. The only thing that pond has for noteworthy aquatic life are the carp put there by the city. I doubt it'll find any shell or crabs there. Then again who knows, it could be that the American crayfish, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procambarus_clarkii) which has become a inexterminable pest in our country (and a delicacy) made it to that pond.
I'm kinda surprised that for invasive stuff like that there isn't a "kill it with fire" status in the conservation status listing on wikipedia.
Because dumbasses that don't know that its native to their region and thus not an invasive species or in need of death by fire would burn it out of its natural habitat because wikipedia told them to.

Never give the public an excuse to burn things to the ground. They will ignore all reason and logic in their quest to do so.

Are you claiming the American crayfish (and more specifically the plague it is carrying which is killing off all the native cray-crays) is native to European waters?
Love, scriver~

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106171 on: July 19, 2016, 07:53:08 am »

Are you claiming that americans don't read wikipedia?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #106172 on: July 19, 2016, 08:06:12 am »

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY THICC MODS FOR SSBU
DON'T YOU PEOPLE HAVE PC GAMES TO MOD
YOU CAN'T EVEN SEE THE CHARACTERS THAT WELL IN SSB BECAUSE THEY'RE ALWAYS MOVING AND KINDA SMALL ON-SCREEN
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #106173 on: July 19, 2016, 08:14:37 am »

Because dumbasses that don't know that its native to their region and thus not an invasive species or in need of death by fire would burn it out of its natural habitat because wikipedia told them to.

Never give the public an excuse to burn things to the ground. They will ignore all reason and logic in their quest to do so.

Erm no. It's because the crayfish has no natural enemies and any attempt to eradicate it with pesticides would also kill of the native fauna.

Introducing non native natural enemies might be the only option left.

Or perhaps Pokemon Go could add a feature where you can only get your aquatic Pokemons by catching a real live american crayfish from a stream nearby.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 08:21:14 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #106174 on: July 19, 2016, 08:15:26 am »

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-demands-we-make-how-rape-victims-should-act/

Once again, people don't get the danger of online anything and the "Please do not quote" policy. Ever thought that picture you posted of yourself smiling on Facebook would be harmless? O, I hope some bastard doesn't use it against you as "evidence you weren't too upset" when and if said person screws you over.

Because they've never heard of having to fake a smile before..... Especially for work.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #106175 on: July 19, 2016, 09:08:24 am »

What the actual fuck.

If we had the capability to accurately adjudicate guilt in every case, I'd argue for the use of the death penalty on rapists. Oh, and cudos for gorram Cracked doing better reporting in their list-based clickbait than actual news outlets.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 09:10:55 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #106176 on: July 19, 2016, 09:58:35 am »

An AWACS just flew over my house at increadibly low altitude (for an AWACS). Can't have been more than 1000-1500 meters, I would have been able to read it's tail number where the damn thing not so white and the sun not so bright.
Then again not really a surprise, as the airport near my city is used by NATO extensively for it's capacity to service the largest NATO aircraft. (WHich has made me feel slightly uncomfortable for a while now. I live too close to an important strategic target :P)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 10:07:13 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #106177 on: July 19, 2016, 10:38:30 am »

Are you claiming that americans don't read wikipedia?

It's not like it is an American based site with 79% of it's content being American or anything :P

But seriously, apologies. I misread that last sentence above and thought it said something about countries having a "kill it with fire" policy, not about having it way that on Wikipedia.
Love, scriver~

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106178 on: July 19, 2016, 11:02:38 am »

What the actual fuck.

If we had the capability to accurately adjudicate guilt in every case, I'd argue for the use of the death penalty on rapists. Oh, and cudos for gorram Cracked doing better reporting in their list-based clickbait than actual news outlets.
The bar is pretty low.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #106179 on: July 19, 2016, 11:06:14 am »

What the actual fuck.

I think it'd be better to have capital punishments but on repeat offenders for shit like murder

That way you don't accidentally execute innocent people, and you're executing people who have had more than enough 2nd chances to be forgiven and turn their life around and have shown no interest in doing so

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106180 on: July 19, 2016, 11:28:19 am »

I just spent a multitude of hours trying to figure out why tests were failing during builds but not when running them in the IDE. Apparently when running tests the other way, despite me not seeing anything that would possibly imply this fact, the tests were using a different database. A database that seemed to be explicitly created for a completely different set of tests. I believe I am not the first person to come across this problem, and I expect I will not be the last.

This job is slowly convincing me that sanity is a lie. I welcome death with open arms because I know death.java will fail to compile due to containing symbols invalid for utf-8.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106181 on: July 19, 2016, 01:20:17 pm »

What. The actual. Fuck.
According to my cousin some dumb kid tried to break into his workplace to see what pokemon are inside, somehow climbing a 5 meter high wall in the process.

My cousin is a prison guard.

What.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 01:22:03 pm by Cyroth »
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #106182 on: July 19, 2016, 01:27:07 pm »

What. The actual. Fuck.
According to my cousin some dumb kid tried to break into his workplace to see what pokemon are inside, climbing a 5 meter high wall in the process.

My cousin is a prison guard.

What.

...if Pokemon Go can get people to do this kind of thing, it makes me wonder if developing more immersive virtual reality isn't more of a threat to the future of humanity than developing general AI would be.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106183 on: July 19, 2016, 01:28:01 pm »

Just get AI to design our VR for us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #106184 on: July 19, 2016, 01:34:47 pm »

Make it more immersive, but require the use of an omnidirectional trackpad. That way their stupidity is limited to the room the trackpad's in and whatever game they're playing.
Man will still find a way to die
Pages: 1 ... 7077 7078 [7079] 7080 7081 ... 11037