Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6888 6889 [6890] 6891 6892 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14464649 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #103335 on: May 30, 2016, 03:13:08 pm »

It's always seemed a little bit weird that the most efficient way to get vegetable matter is to put seeds in dirt for months.  Like, how hard could it be to make a thin layer of soybean-like mass grow in a simple nutrient bath?  But apparently our DNA-programming technology isn't nearly there yet.  The closest thing would be tweaking organisms like algae which aren't ideal.
You can grow plant mass like that, for the most part. The main problem is that most people prefer food over an amorphous nutriment paste.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #103336 on: May 30, 2016, 03:17:37 pm »

While true, give people a full course meal's worth of nutrients for less than the cost of rice per pound, and I can pretty much guarantee you there's gonna' be a lot of people learning to prefer amorphous nutriment paste, at least for most meals. It's just gonna' have to be well and away less expensive than current options of such a nature.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #103337 on: May 30, 2016, 03:38:56 pm »

While true, give people a full course meal's worth of nutrients for less than the cost of rice per pound, and I can pretty much guarantee you there's gonna' be a lot of people learning to prefer amorphous nutriment paste, at least for most meals. It's just gonna' have to be well and away less expensive than current options of such a nature.
It wouldn't cost less, since it doesn't scale nearly as well as actual plant-growing.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #103338 on: May 30, 2016, 03:42:11 pm »

Which... yeah, as noted above, the primary roadblock is cost more than just about anything. Bring that down to less than actual farming and you've got yourself an industry shrinker.
Ask not!
Ask!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103339 on: May 30, 2016, 04:40:58 pm »

Managed to tear off a good chunk of my gum under my front-bottom teeth. Surprisingly, it doesn't really hurt, despite being able to see under the tooth*, but I can feel it and it's uncomfortable. Went to the pharmacist to see if they had anything to disinfect, they simply said use a salt water rinse. I did that, and it kinda feels a little worse.

*Was already the case, this portion of the gum was already pretty damaged, possibly from poor dentistry from years ago. What happened today only greatly amplified the damage.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #103340 on: May 30, 2016, 04:52:51 pm »

this isn't supposed to destroy capitalism or anything
There's your problem
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #103341 on: May 30, 2016, 05:32:42 pm »

There's your problem
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #103342 on: May 30, 2016, 05:33:36 pm »

Managed to tear off a good chunk of my gum under my front-bottom teeth. Surprisingly, it doesn't really hurt, despite being able to see under the tooth*, but I can feel it and it's uncomfortable. Went to the pharmacist to see if they had anything to disinfect, they simply said use a salt water rinse. I did that, and it kinda feels a little worse.

*Was already the case, this portion of the gum was already pretty damaged, possibly from poor dentistry from years ago. What happened today only greatly amplified the damage.
Nnergh, yuck, yuck, yuck. Why would you tell us that?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #103343 on: May 30, 2016, 05:44:18 pm »

There's your problem
Communism was just a red herring.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #103344 on: May 30, 2016, 06:33:08 pm »

There's your problem
Communism was just a red herring.
Can't tell if punny or accurate.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103345 on: May 30, 2016, 07:47:56 pm »

Went to the pharmacist to see if they had anything to disinfect, they simply said use a salt water rinse. I did that, and it kinda feels a little worse.

Yes, if you salt a wound it will hurt. You asked for disinfection, yes?

"Be careful what you wish for - you just might get it."
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #103346 on: May 30, 2016, 07:56:03 pm »

Went to the pharmacist to see if they had anything to disinfect, they simply said use a salt water rinse. I did that, and it kinda feels a little worse.

Yes, if you salt a wound it will hurt. You asked for disinfection, yes?

"Be careful what you wish for - you just might get it."

"A large chunk of my gum has come off and I'm worried about infection, can yo-"

"RUB SALT IN IT YOU WEAK FOOL, THAT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE A WARRIOR!"

But yes, salt water rinse is good for infection. Hurts like fuckingouch, but it's much better than septicemia. Probably.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #103347 on: May 30, 2016, 08:21:13 pm »

The funny thing is that the sort of music that Putnam likes are performed by machines.

Preeeetty sure Putnam plays the guitar, and I have seen him express admiration for music played by people.

Synth/electronic music is an interesting case, because it can't really be played by a human. I'd special case it there, which is a fair cop.

i don't consider music performance to be superior to "non-performed" music

in fact, i had never thought of the distinction

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #103348 on: May 30, 2016, 09:21:55 pm »

Really isn't much of one, all told. I had actually forgotten just how much has been done with samples these days. Remembered there's a huge chunk of the music on OCRemix, just a singular body of examples, that's never had human hand touch instrument (unless you count the keyboard and mouse, I guess), and only some of them can you really tell... generally the worst examples just sound like a poor player/poor recording. The best sound like they could have came out of a recording studio or performance hall.

Could swear there's actually a few projects out there already trying to suss out a bit of software that'll just compose and perform from top to bottom on its own (iirc, there's actually been a good handful of really interesting sounding more-or-less procedurally generated music produced t'date, among a great deal of basically noise... and not even noise music), but even just stuff that's fully digitally produced gets pretty impressive, already.

Honestly, thinking on it a bit more, it's actually kinda' exciting. Almost all the developments in electronic production of music has occurred largely within my lifetime to date, and I've probably got another one or two of those in me. And the strides in that field have been faintly ridiculous, really. What'll we be hearing another few decades from now?
Ask not!
Ask!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103349 on: May 30, 2016, 09:24:03 pm »

Almost all the developments in electronic production of music has occurred largely within my lifetime to date, and I've probably got another one or two of those in me.

Lifetimes? ;D
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 6888 6889 [6890] 6891 6892 ... 11040