Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6887 6888 [6889] 6890 6891 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14465696 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #103320 on: May 30, 2016, 10:32:55 am »

Takes a lot more than just money, though. Harry Harlow did some experiments that showed that a wee bit, admittedly with rhesus monkeys but it makes sense to extend that to human psychology. Ethan Couch is a good example, perhaps.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #103321 on: May 30, 2016, 10:43:05 am »

My mother was unemployed the entire time she was raising me, but she did a hell of a job of being a super school teacher to a school of 1 student (i.e. me).
._.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #103322 on: May 30, 2016, 11:28:32 am »

It's more that impoverished parents are more likely to have other issues related to childrearing-providing enough healthful food during their development, paying for all the bullshit costs of education in states with poor social welfare, the social issues (drug abuse, alcoholism, latchkey kids because parents have to work themselves near to death) that are easier to fall into if your life sucks, &c. It's not a hard rule, and there are shitty parents at every level of economic status, but being poor allows bad parents to be worse and makes it more difficult for good parents to be able to do right by their children.

A given person's attitude towards their children probably won't change much regardless of how rich or poor they are. But a child with neglectful rich parents has more opportunity to pull themselves out of that shitty situation thanks to the undue importance of material wealth in... pretty much everything. Still probably gonna be psychologically fucked, but that would happen regardless.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103323 on: May 30, 2016, 11:49:14 am »

Considering only a small % of the planet is actually fields and we are certainly capable of quickly adapting if one source fails.
Heck if we run out of farmable land there's a lot of ocean to set up krill fisheries.

There might be concessions to make. Maybe meat will disapear from stores and get replaced by insect protein equivalents or vegan crap but as far as the civilized world goes food is probably the last problem.

Unless of course civilization falls apart and people turn to warlordism completely forgetting how to farm properly.
It happened in Zimbabwe after the locals kicked out the people who ran farms and resorted to ineffectual mud farming turning the country from a local food exporter into a impoverished importer.
Of course it was the farmers who were forced out of their houses that were blamed not the idiots who thought they can run a modern farm with dark age understanding of the topic at best.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 11:51:47 am by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103324 on: May 30, 2016, 11:53:18 am »

So. Writing thesis, wanna look up some detail regarding the Nanodrop spectrophotometer we use, so type in 'nanodrop' in the ol' searchbar. Google gives the autocomplete suggestion of 'nanodrop it like it's hot'. My curiosity gets the better of me, and I click it. Only to discover the whitest, nerdiest thing I've seen all year.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103325 on: May 30, 2016, 11:57:07 am »

There's lab grown meat being worked on already, the problem is that the process is still too expensive :v

Once it becomes economically viable, it'll prob replace most if not all factory farms and etc, which is good, not just from the animal welfare point of view, but also because, generally, breeding animals to eat them is a very energy/resource inefficient way of getting food. Energy efficiency is the focus or at least part of the reasons behind a lot of efforts in modern technology.

Cattle culture, for example, takes an ridiculous amount of water, feed, space, energy, labor and time, and is responsible for a big chunk of greenhouse gasses, too (cow farts are srs biz).

I'm most certainly not a vegan, btw, but the meat industry is just a huge mess of things being wasted just to get some nice meat to eat.

Hell, a good deal of our food industry basically turns huge ammounts of water and other resources into sugary shit thats proven to be terrible for your body, like, say, coca cola, and pretty much any soft drink out there. Its been over 7 years since I stopped drinking any soft drinks, and my health has been golden since.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 12:03:05 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #103326 on: May 30, 2016, 12:08:44 pm »

It won't stop factory farms, they'll just change (or focus) their production from meat to some other animal product, like leather in the case of cows (and probably most other things which kill animals) because I don't think that anyone who owns a factory farm is just going to go "well shit, after all the money and time I've invested into this place I guess I'll just give up". You won't stop the capitalist machine that easily.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103327 on: May 30, 2016, 12:18:20 pm »

Of course, its not a magical solution. It won't stop huge cattle owners from using their connections with politicians to try and stop or at least attack artificial meat in different ways (kinda like how people have been attacking genetically modified crops for years now, with both ridiculous, unscientific and a few rather understandable claims).

But the thing is, people need to realize this isn't supposed to destroy capitalism or anything, its a way to modernize it. Take a product that is expensive to produce and uses an infrastructure that is hard to maintain and substitute it for another that is much easier to manage and with a similar if not identical end result (once the process actualy works and is economically viable that is). You spend less money to essentially produce the same product, which then becomes cheaper and acessible to way more people.
Sure, leather producers will prob have a hard time, but hey, if you don't diversify your production nowadays, you're screwing yourself in the long run. Its a bit hilarious we're still relying on leather for so many things after millions of years, IMO. Leather will probably shoot up in price more and more in the future.

Huge dirigibles filled with inflammable gasses stopped being thought of as a reasonable way of air transport when airplanes became commercially viable, ye? Industry will move on its own. If you can't adapt your company to new tech and demand, well, you're screwed.

Its time to realize that keeping companies alive on nineteenth century market standards (in which companies basically did one thing and one thing only, using mostly the same tech) is probably a terrible idea. Sure, industry has changed a fair bit since then, but what happens when your product suddenly loses its market to a superior alternative?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 12:25:49 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #103328 on: May 30, 2016, 01:34:58 pm »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/judge-criticized-trump-unseals-documents-trump-university-case-065505089.html

At a rally in San Diego on Friday, Trump criticized Curiel for his handling of the Trump University case.

"I have a judge who is a hater of Donald Trump. A hater. He's a hater," Trump said.

"We're in front of a very hostile judge. The judge was appointed by Barack Obama," Trump said, adding he believed Curiel was Mexican."
Arthur Hellman, an expert on federal courts and judicial ethics at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law, said the judge was in a difficult position.

"He can’t respond directly. He’s not supposed to talk out of court about proceedings before him. Judges have gotten into trouble defending themselves from attacks. The judge’s hands are really tied," he said.

Trump has drawn criticism for his comments about immigrants from Mexico, some of whom he has said were criminals and rapists.

The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103329 on: May 30, 2016, 01:58:06 pm »

You can only replace certain nutrients with crop rotation (such as nitrogen), others don't really have a way of being put back there without fertiliser or returning the waste (ie poo, corpses etc.) of whatever consumed them to the location.
Well using manure is not really a new concept. it will just make farming that much more expensive but not prohibitively expensive considering it's literally shit we're talking about.
Self promotion below.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103330 on: May 30, 2016, 02:22:16 pm »

That, and apparently human excrement is already used as fertilizer, except its marketed as "biosolids". Of course, you can't just use sewage to fertilize soil, so it needs to be treated first, but hey, it works, and humans produce a shit ton (heh) of crap, sooooo...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #103331 on: May 30, 2016, 02:27:37 pm »

Recycle it.

"It is every citizens final duty to go back into the tanks"
Chairman Yang
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103332 on: May 30, 2016, 02:41:51 pm »

There's lab grown meat being worked on already, the problem is that the process is still too expensive :v

Once it becomes economically viable, it'll prob replace most if not all factory farms and etc, which is good, not just from the animal welfare point of view, but also because, generally, breeding animals to eat them is a very energy/resource inefficient way of getting food. Energy efficiency is the focus or at least part of the reasons behind a lot of efforts in modern technology.

Cattle culture, for example, takes an ridiculous amount of water, feed, space, energy, labor and time, and is responsible for a big chunk of greenhouse gasses, too (cow farts are srs biz).

I'm most certainly not a vegan, btw, but the meat industry is just a huge mess of things being wasted just to get some nice meat to eat.

Hell, a good deal of our food industry basically turns huge ammounts of water and other resources into sugary shit thats proven to be terrible for your body, like, say, coca cola, and pretty much any soft drink out there. Its been over 7 years since I stopped drinking any soft drinks, and my health has been golden since.
I'm looking forward to this, glad it's being worked on!

It's always seemed a little bit weird that the most efficient way to get vegetable matter is to put seeds in dirt for months.  Like, how hard could it be to make a thin layer of soybean-like mass grow in a simple nutrient bath?  But apparently our DNA-programming technology isn't nearly there yet.  The closest thing would be tweaking organisms like algae which aren't ideal.

Vat-grown meat must be much more difficult, but once it's efficient...
Oh yeah they're already able to grow artificial skin from samples, to do grafts which don't trigger the immune system.  That's a good sign.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103333 on: May 30, 2016, 02:50:18 pm »

Vat grown meat has already been done, its just expensive as hell currently, but the concept is pretty much proven.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103334 on: May 30, 2016, 03:11:52 pm »

http://inhabitat.com/poop-burger-japanese-researcher-creates-artificial-meat-from-human-feces/

Yum.

Likely a hoax tho and i'm not sure whether to be happy or sad.
Self promotion below.
Pages: 1 ... 6887 6888 [6889] 6890 6891 ... 11037