Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6794 6795 [6796] 6797 6798 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14439933 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #101925 on: May 07, 2016, 06:22:33 pm »

Just spent 10 hours putting together a computer for a friend.  Expected to take maybe 3.   

I think I've been out of the computer building game too long.  Used to be a case had this wide open expanse of workable space a couple shelves for drives and otherwise is just a big metal box.  Stuff like that was why I went into working on computers instead of learning how to work with cars or robotics, I like having a lot of room to work.

Today (and the tail end of yesterday) I probably spent a good 6 hours just trying to run wires from the power supply, through small holes that could only accurately be described as ventilation ducts, because the case manufacturer decided the power supply needed it's own separate minicase inside the case with no direct access to the rest of the computer.  The drive rack also had it's own little mini case, but at least that just had some small holes I had to dislocate my fingers to run sata cables through instead of ductwork. 

It had a cool little hanger for SSD drives that I thought was cool, but when I tried to install it in that I found I would have to completely remove the power supply to access the screwholes it needs, so I just salvaged an adapter from my buddy's old computer to mount the ssd in the HDD rack, because I was not gunna run those cables again.

Then we spent half an hour trying to get his DVR drive put in the thing only to find that not only does it not have any slots big enough to hold the drive, the front of the computer is completely taken up by fans, so the case is designed to be literally impossible to install a optical drive in.   Fortunately the copy of windows 10 that we kept on the hard drive he was transferring over to 'see if it works right off the bat' did in fact work right off the bat, and while it did need reinstalled the restore partition was perfectly up to the task, so we didn't need the optical drive.

I never want to build another computer again.  Why are case manufacturers trying to make the inside of their cases look 'nice' now?  Nobody's going to be seeing it except the person putting it together, and I'd rather not have random sheets of metal blocking wiring for no good reason.

EDIT: I am now talking to my friend through text messages and it turns out his sound isn't running properly.  Only coming out one earphone. so something tells me I messed up an audio connector to the motherboard somewhere and I'll probably need to go back and look at it.  Armok help me.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 06:38:12 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #101926 on: May 07, 2016, 06:45:57 pm »

I cant think of a single place in the world in which unions weren't, at one point or another, tied to corruption and bribery, tbh :v

There's corruption and bribery  everywhere. Goverments, tribunals, hospitals, and yes, unions. You're still better off with them rather than without.

Also, you're doing a disservice to a lot of people if you lump everyone, good and bad, together
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 06:48:31 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101927 on: May 07, 2016, 06:50:14 pm »

I'm seeing a significant amount of blood when blowing my nose. It's not free-running blood, but I don't know how long it's been like that. Certainly since after I got home from work.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101928 on: May 07, 2016, 06:51:50 pm »

Just spent 10 hours putting together a computer for a friend.  Expected to take maybe 3.   

I think I've been out of the computer building game too long.  Used to be a case had this wide open expanse of workable space a couple shelves for drives and otherwise is just a big metal box.  Stuff like that was why I went into working on computers instead of learning how to work with cars or robotics, I like having a lot of room to work.

Today (and the tail end of yesterday) I probably spent a good 6 hours just trying to run wires from the power supply, through small holes that could only accurately be described as ventilation ducts, because the case manufacturer decided the power supply needed it's own separate minicase inside the case with no direct access to the rest of the computer.  The drive rack also had it's own little mini case, but at least that just had some small holes I had to dislocate my fingers to run sata cables through instead of ductwork. 

It had a cool little hanger for SSD drives that I thought was cool, but when I tried to install it in that I found I would have to completely remove the power supply to access the screwholes it needs, so I just salvaged an adapter from my buddy's old computer to mount the ssd in the HDD rack, because I was not gunna run those cables again.

Then we spent half an hour trying to get his DVR drive put in the thing only to find that not only does it not have any slots big enough to hold the drive, the front of the computer is completely taken up by fans, so the case is designed to be literally impossible to install a optical drive in.   Fortunately the copy of windows 10 that we kept on the hard drive he was transferring over to 'see if it works right off the bat' did in fact work right off the bat, and while it did need reinstalled the restore partition was perfectly up to the task, so we didn't need the optical drive.

I never want to build another computer again.  Why are case manufacturers trying to make the inside of their cases look 'nice' now?  Nobody's going to be seeing it except the person putting it together, and I'd rather not have random sheets of metal blocking wiring for no good reason.

EDIT: I am now talking to my friend through text messages and it turns out his sound isn't running properly.  Only coming out one earphone. so something tells me I messed up an audio connector to the motherboard somewhere and I'll probably need to go back and look at it.  Armok help me.

Who picked the case?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101929 on: May 07, 2016, 07:00:30 pm »

Who picked the case?
He did.  Though he used some site or another to make sure all parts were compatible.  And they were.   (just a pita to actually fit together)

The DVR was from his old computer, so he understandably forgot to check that for compatibility.   Fortunately external dvd drives are dirt cheap.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 07:04:34 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #101930 on: May 07, 2016, 07:02:23 pm »

"Ok, how are YOU going to protect the interests of employees?"
Laws
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #101931 on: May 07, 2016, 07:29:40 pm »

I'm seeing a significant amount of blood when blowing my nose. It's not free-running blood, but I don't know how long it's been like that. Certainly since after I got home from work.

Is the inside of your nose quite dry? I get that sometimes, usually as a result of the inside of my nose drying out because of the way I blow it.

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101932 on: May 07, 2016, 07:41:18 pm »

Hasn't he been really sick lately? I'm guessing it's not a good sign.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #101933 on: May 07, 2016, 07:55:00 pm »

Hasn't he been really sick lately? I'm guessing it's not a good sign.
Bloody snot happens to me from time to time. It's not really indicative of anything on its own AFAIK. If it's in conjunction with a cold/flu I wouldn't be surprised to see it. Excessive amounts for multiple days would be grounds to visit a doctor.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101934 on: May 07, 2016, 08:10:34 pm »

I'm seeing less now, only after sticking some tissue up my nose. I should probably stop doing that, though.

On another not, while the swelling of the lymph nodes on either side of my neck(I think that's what they are), my thyroid gland or one of tonsils is acting up. I should probably go to bed, see if I'm not dead tomorrow morning.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101935 on: May 07, 2016, 08:11:33 pm »

There's a WoW movie?

WHAT IS THIS WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #101936 on: May 07, 2016, 08:19:00 pm »

It's actually just Warcraft

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101937 on: May 07, 2016, 08:20:03 pm »

Okay, but still, Blizzard is into movie?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #101938 on: May 07, 2016, 08:32:26 pm »

Okay, but still, Blizzard is into movie?
It's not bad. Earlier they made a "making of WoW" film that was... also not bad.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101939 on: May 07, 2016, 08:41:06 pm »

Pimple?
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 6794 6795 [6796] 6797 6798 ... 11040