Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6785 6786 [6787] 6788 6789 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14423979 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #101790 on: May 05, 2016, 05:50:26 am »

IMO no-one should ever be allowed to be sad because Anne Frank was sadder than you and someone else being sadder than you invalidates any sadness you might experience

Is it shaped like a religious figure/symbol?
Sadly, no. It's just a small, indistinct blob.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101791 on: May 05, 2016, 06:07:19 am »

Aheehee...
This is one of the better rounds of tabletop I've played.  Started about 6PM, 1AM I started drinking, now I'm out of beer and it's 7:06 AM.  Gonna stay up till 1PM at the earliest, so I can do my shift, then probably crawl into the closet to get enough darkness to sleep peacefully.

Compared to the sleepiness, the 6-pack did like nothing hehe.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #101792 on: May 05, 2016, 07:05:05 am »

get sleep pronto

nothing is really worth the hangover that comes after a night of no-sleeping followed by sleeping

i mean i don't know if that's actually hangover or not cuz i've never got drunk but still

sleep nao
._.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101793 on: May 05, 2016, 07:17:13 am »

My tolerance is high enough that it takes a *lot* more than a six pack to get any sort of hangover from alcohol.  That said, I do get dehydrated by staying awake too long, so I'll go fix that.  And then take another 3 hour nap before my shift starts.

This steady lack of sleep is actually going really well for me, possibly because I've been operating under alcohol for a long while and now haven't had hardly any for about a week.  Until this [?morning] I guess...  hrm.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #101794 on: May 05, 2016, 08:58:07 am »

Quote from: Wikipedia page on Vaporwave, emphasis mine
情報デスクVIRTUAL, alias of Vektroid, describes her album 札幌コンテンポラリー as "a brief glimpse into the new possibilities of international communication" and "a parody of American hypercontextualization of e-Asia circa 1995."

What the hell does that even mean. Seriously can somebody hook me up with a little example of that?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #101795 on: May 05, 2016, 09:17:45 am »

What the hell does that even mean. Seriously can somebody hook me up with a little example of that?

Well, hypercontextualization presumably means "reading too much into things". And around 1995 was when a lot of Asian countries started getting access to the Internet (India in 1995, Japan and Thailand in 1996, probably a few others). Not sure if there are any particular interpretations of that period in circulation. And if I did more research than that I'd no doubt be hypercontextualizing this person's statement by ascribing meaning and purpose to it when she's no doubt just taking the piss.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #101796 on: May 05, 2016, 09:20:15 am »

As for more common Pokemon in hell... nothing but Lv.100 Metapods.
No, no... level 100 abras. Presumably with some sort of item or trait or modified teleport that guarantees they go first and doubles or triples the duration of their animations.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101797 on: May 05, 2016, 09:25:24 am »

情報デスクVIRTUAL, alias of Vektroid, describes her album 札幌コンテンポラリー as "a brief glimpse into the new possibilities of international communication" and "a parody of American hypercontextualization of e-Asia circa 1995."

I did a search and found http://casanovapendrillblog.com/2015/05/hyper-measuring-hyper-contextualization/ but the "meaning" used in that doesn't work in your wikipedia quote at all, so vOv. (It also seems to be the complete opposite of Harry Baldman's definition)

P.S. Also urbandictionary doesn't know what it is, but bing suggests I either read about "Missions & Muslims" or Vaporwave... apparently it knows exactly what article you were reading because there's that quote.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101798 on: May 05, 2016, 09:47:20 am »

Oh shit, I was reading through this with great effort, trying to comprehend the things being said, and then it hit me why it seemed so funny: I am listening to vaporwave right now! Well, not right now, but when I had that thought. It's taken me a while to type this. Or maybe it was some other night? I don't know, but I'm pretty sure there's at least some vape on this playlist.

Edit:
get sleep pronto

nothing is really worth the hangover that comes after a night of no-sleeping followed by sleeping

i mean i don't know if that's actually hangover or not cuz i've never got drunk but still

sleep nao
get booze pronto
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 10:05:59 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101799 on: May 05, 2016, 01:18:31 pm »

Well, if you read the linked article, that author is talking about how this album consists of re-appropriated pap - elevator music, jingles, pre-flight boarding tunes that play over airport PA systems, etc. It focuses on things which are not really worthy of contextual analysis and gives them undue emphasis (reads more into them than they merit). That's "hypercontextualization".

"a brief glimpse into the new possibilities of international communication" - I take this comment as satire, as the entire point of the album is to take absolute shit background "music" from inane sources from around the world and treat is as amazing cultural artifacts worthy of being analyzed.

"a parody of American hypercontextualization of e-Asia circa 1995" - this comment seems more on-the-level. e-Asia could be a reference to East Asia, and around the 1990s was when there was renewed interest in Asian cultures what with the rise of Japanese pop culture in the West and China becoming an economic superpower.

Look at The Wests general understanding of anime for example, it's highly broken and focuses on series which aren't really popular or seen as culturally important in Japan, while completely missing the cultural context in some instances, and conjuring up cultural context in other instances, where none basically exists (seeing a deep meaning in details which aren't actually important, then linking them to supposed "truths" about Japanese culture as a whole). 

Anime-related reporting already looks bad to Westerners who have even a passing familiarity with anime. Consider how surreal it would be for a Japanese person to read all the American articles about "Japanese Culture" as a whole. They would be cringing constantly going "WTF are these people on?" An album which appropriates only the cultural garbage of the West, rather than things that convey meaning, is not a bad parody of that process.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 01:50:59 pm by Reelya »

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101800 on: May 05, 2016, 01:27:07 pm »

get sleep pronto

sleep nao
get booze pronto
Don't consume even a drop of poison.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #101801 on: May 05, 2016, 01:37:55 pm »

BEWARE POISON
Consume vital liquids

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101802 on: May 05, 2016, 01:42:39 pm »

Vital liquids can be poisonous, too.

Consume bodily fluids instead ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #101803 on: May 05, 2016, 01:45:53 pm »

Most bodily fluids require processing before they are safe for human consumption, vital liquids are far more preferable because they are vital and if you do not drink enough you will die. If you do indeed drink too much you will also die, but then why did you do that?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101804 on: May 05, 2016, 01:48:22 pm »

okay my head does hurt a little but it's probably because I sleepily tried to "cook" rice with warmish water from my fancy new tea kettle, and ended up just eating mostly-raw soaked rice all night.

Gonna make some rice properly and also some more hot decaff berry tea, mmm.  It's a beautiful cold, rainy day and I've finally gotten some good sleep.  Will finish catching up tonight at normal hours.
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 6785 6786 [6787] 6788 6789 ... 11039